3 Pretty Ripe Large Avocados...What should I do?

So I started adding Avocados to my weekly produce order because I want to eat more of them though I'm still getting used to liking them, but I have trouble figuring out where to add them in. I don't do guac because I can't really do tomatoes. I just got new ones today and have not used last weeks yet. I did find a baked eggs in avocado recipe that I'm going to try for breakfast tomorrow. But any quick ideas for the other two? I'm not currently doing W30 but I'm staying fairly close (some dairy and some minimally processed sugar).

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I simply cut them in half, a little salt and pepper and gobble. Great in salads including tuna and egg salad. Put inside of a taco lettuce wrap. Chunk it on top of scrambled eggs or inside an omlette. I could go on and on. :)

I like them as a side with chicken, eggs, and beef. I will put a sliced half avocado on my plate and with my fork, get a piece of the protein along with a piece of the avocado, and yum. Squish it up and use it as a mayo substitute for egg salad. Given the buttery taste, think of it like a green butter.

I made a guacamole last week that didn't have tomatoes- just avocado, red onion, mango, and a hot pepper. You could also use an avocado as your binder in a chicken salad. My current favorite is chicken, grapes, nuts (whatever kind I have on hand), celery, and smashed avocado to hold it all together. I also eat avocados plain half of the time as part of my meal, but they're also great mixed in right before you finish scrambling eggs, or as a sort of condiment with any skillet hash you might whip up.

I've tried the baked eggs in avocado recipe before, and I would just tell you to be wary. Mine was a major flop (each time I tried it), because my regular sized eggs were apparently so large that I had to hollow the avocados out to the point where there was barely any avocado left.

I don't quite enjoy them enough yet to do them straight up. These are very large so I'm hoping the baked eggs works. I need to make homemade mayo as that salad dressing does taste good. I have some leftover roast chicken perhaps I'll give using them as mayo a try and make some chicken salad. Hoping to use them before they go completely bad. I guess if I'm going to get 3 a week I need to purposefully plan to EAT 3 a week (6 this week I suppose...)

I used to bake avocados stuffed with chili - Well Fed's Chocolate Chili would be amazing. Just slightly enlarge the hollow, fill with chili, heap it up on top and bake in oven.

I know what I am having for dinner tonight!! :D

I like to mash an avocado, add salt and pepper, then use it as a dip for veggie sticks like carrots and celery. Cut into chunks and eaten with chicken or steak is really good too. Otherwise, I eat it plain! ;)

I used to bake avocados stuffed with chili - Well Fed's Chocolate Chili would be amazing. Just slightly enlarge the hollow, fill with chili, heap it up on top and bake in oven.

Man that does sound amazing. Sadly when I made the Chocolate Chili it tasted amazing and gave me heartburn all night. :-( *sob*

Totally doing this. I literally ran to my freezer to take out 2 lbs of ground beef. :0)

So I used one of these avocados to make a dressing with basil and olive oil and salt that I mixed in with some roast chicken I had. The avocado was so very very very ripe so I hope it tastes ok. It's dinner tonight so we shall see.

Man that does sound amazing. Sadly when I made the Chocolate Chili it tasted amazing and gave me heartburn all night. :-( *sob*

I had the same problem with the chocolate chili. :-(

My favorite use for avocados is diced up and served with chopped fresh cilantro on top of either chili (I have my own heartburn-free recipe) or on top of chicken 'no-tortilla' soup. The mild flavor and creamy texture is such a wonderful compliment to both spicy dishes!

Seconding (or thirding) having it on top of chilli!

I made a little side salad for hubs' lunch today of a few salad leaves, tomato & 1/2 an avo with a little balsamic vinegar. I know you don't do tomato, but you could perhaps have red/yellow pepper, cucumber or celery instead?

And I find most grilled & roast meats are complimented nicely by avocado - especially chicken, but today for lunch I will be trying lamb steak and avo. :P

I had the same problem with the chocolate chili. :-(

My favorite use for avocados is diced up and served with chopped fresh cilantro on top of either chili (I have my own heartburn-free recipe) or on top of chicken 'no-tortilla' soup. The mild flavor and creamy texture is such a wonderful compliment to both spicy dishes!

Would you care to share your heartburn free recipe? After a facebook chat with Melissa I concluded it is probably the volume of tomatoes that did it for me. Have been avoiding tomatoes since. I love chili though so a version that doesn't cause me intense distress would be most welcome.

Your avocado are probably gone by now, but I use them for a 'pudding' when I also feel like eating a banana. Smash the two up as well as you can and stir in some cinnamon or alcohol free vanilla. Kind of weird, but good.

I also use it for the 'mayo' in a chicken salad. It ends up tasting like guacamole with chicken. Basically, pureed avocado, cilantro, garlic, lemon juice (supposed to use greek yogurt but not on Whole30) tossed with some cubed or shredded cooked chicken. I might try it with home made coconut yogurt but I don't think that will work well.

I puree the avocado with basil, thyme and lemon and toss it with spaghetti squash, too.

Physibeth - I"m going to compete with Susan W and say give them to me!

eating them straight out of the skin is a bit plain...but I was looking for guac options to change it up, and add it in for hubby....these are GREAT! Thanks for asking the question!

Would you care to share your heartburn free recipe? After a facebook chat with Melissa I concluded it is probably the volume of tomatoes that did it for me. Have been avoiding tomatoes since. I love chili though so a version that doesn't cause me intense distress would be most welcome.

I will be happy to share it. I'll post it in the recipe section. Though, I will say, it's full of tomatoes. I don't normally have a problem with tomatoes at all (heartburn-wise), so I don't know if that's what did it for me on the chocolate chili. My recipe is similar to hers minus the cocoa and the tomato paste. Maybe it's the tomato paste? (please let it not be the cocoa!!)

Physibeth - I"m going to compete with Susan W and say give them to me!

eating them straight out of the skin is a bit plain...but I was looking for guac options to change it up, and add it in for hubby....these are GREAT! Thanks for asking the question!

Lol..I totally already dibbsed them. ;0)

Susan W, yes you did! besides, by the time they would get to florida, icky~!

Physibeth, I am wondering about the yellow tomatoes...they are supposed to be less acidic...and maybe you could make some chili with that...or something that you REALLY want that needs to have tomatoes.

Also - I have been on anacid treatment for many many years...then last year, I did a yeast cleanse with a whole30 vibe, and have noticed that unless I eat crap, I don't need the antacids.

Anyway - that's a thought, and, you know, you can live without chili! ;-)

So, how did the baked eggs in the avocado turn out?

I'm so lazy. I mash an avocado by itself and call it guacamole. Then I just eat it on nothing.

I hear you can make some salad dressings with it, though. That would be a more interesting use.

LOL Susan and Christi...I used one of the 3 old ones to make a basil sauce that was delicious on chicken but have not used the other 2 yet and considering how brown the one I did use was I may toss them. I have been oversleeping so have not done the baked eggs yet as they take 20 minutes to bake.

I will be happy to share it. I'll post it in the recipe section. Though, I will say, it's full of tomatoes. I don't normally have a problem with tomatoes at all (heartburn-wise), so I don't know if that's what did it for me on the chocolate chili. My recipe is similar to hers minus the cocoa and the tomato paste. Maybe it's the tomato paste? (please let it not be the cocoa!!)

Hmm...maybe it is the tomato paste. Is tomato paste from raw or cooked tomatoes? At the moment I've just been avoiding all tomatoes, but I might have to experiment some soon.

Archived