Here are the ingredients for Silk Pure Almond Milk (Unsweetened):

INGREDIENTS: Almondmilk (Filtered Water, Almonds), Sea Salt, Locust Bean Gum, Sunflower Lecithin, Gellan Gum, Natural Flavor.

I saw that we are not allowed to have carageenan, MSG or sulfites.... but Silk Pure Almond Milke (Unsweetened) has Sunflower Lecithin and it says the product is free of dairy, soy, gluten, lactose, cholesterol, eggs, casein, MSG and worries.

Is it approved as something we can drink?

Thanks!

Ellen

http://silk.com/prod...inal-almondmilk

• Moderators

I am loathe to say yes because almond milk is second rate food in comparison to coconut milk. However, based upon this collection of ingredients, it is okay to USE the Silk unsweetened almond milk. It is NOT okay to drink it as a beverage, but you can use it to lighten coffee, as an ingredient in recipes, etc.

• 1 month later...

Hmm... so I guess mixing it and making a smoothie with it as a base = drinking it? And I do understand that smoothies aren't the best choice on the Whole 30 (chewing/eating vs. drinking, I get it). I was just wondering if I could use this if I did make a smoothie from time to time (as I have seen other forum members say they do).

Also, there was a protein powder mentioned as Whole30 approved in ISWF - mostly for vegetarians - but is this off limits too for the Whole30?

Thank you!

Also, there was a protein powder mentioned as Whole30 approved in ISWF - mostly for vegetarians - but is this off limits too for the Whole30?

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Protein powder is off limits for the regular whole30, but allowed for the vegetarian version. i know this can be hard to understand, but basically: if you are attempting whole30 as a vegetarian all kinds of compromises need to be made to get enough protein. As an omnivore, there are plenty of options and protein powder is just not up to the same standard.

Part of doing a whole30 is changing the way you approach and think of food. It is a real mental shift to have meat and veggies where you used to have smoothies, but it is worth it. Just try it for a solid 30 days and see. At the end you can reintroduce smoothies and protein powder and really know how you feel with and without them.

• 1 month later...

Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk from Silk has the same ingredients plus "natural flavor" - does that make it a no-go?

I'm looking for something to splash in my coffee once in awhile, but I don't think I want it bad enough to whip up a DIY batch of nut milk until I figure out if I even like the stuff. (Tried to drink it black today and... well, I'll just mostly stick to tea. But every once in awhile I want coffee.)

INGREDIENTS: Almondmilk (Filtered Water, Almonds), Sea Salt, Natural Flavor, Locust Bean Gum, Sunflower Lecithin, Gellan Gum.

http://silk.com/products/unsweetened-vanilla-almondmilk

Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk from Silk has the same ingredients plus "natural flavor" - does that make it a no-go?

I'm looking for something to splash in my coffee once in awhile, but I don't think I want it bad enough to whip up a DIY batch of nut milk until I figure out if I even like the stuff. (Tried to drink it black today and... well, I'll just mostly stick to tea. But every once in awhile I want coffee.)

INGREDIENTS:

Almondmilk (Filtered Water, Almonds), Sea Salt, Natural Flavor, Locust Bean Gum, Sunflower Lecithin, Gellan Gum.

http://silk.com/products/unsweetened-vanilla-almondmilk

Have you tried coconut milk? Like Tom mentioned above, coconut milk would probably be a better alternative....it's nice, and takes the bitter edge off black coffee

A little late to the party, but you may want to try different types of coffee.  Tanzanian Peaberry is great to drink black, hot or iced.  Trader Joe's has it for a good price when they carry it but it's becoming easier to find if they don't have it.  It's a lighter flavor and less bitter, it really doesn't need anything in it.  You can also try to do an overnight cold brew method which will also mellow the flavor so milk isn't really necessary.  I didn't like the flavor of almond or coconut milk in my coffee so I found other ways to make it palatable. 

Interesting. I was just at the store and the Silk Unsweetened Almond Milk said it had carrageenan in it. Did I just read it wrong?

I'm sure not. Manufacturers change their ingredients all the time. If it said carrageenan, then Silk isn't ok for the whole30 anymore.

• 4 weeks later...

We do not have any other option at my Walmart than Goya.  No Golden Star, not even Thai Kitchen.  And GF Chris, I was in Publix last night and looked at their Goya coconut milk.  The ones I have at home from Walmart say "no preservatives, no stabilizers" and is just coconut milk, water, and guar gum.  The ones at Publix also said "no gums" on the label, and contains potassium metabisulfite (instead?).

We do not have any other option at my Walmart than Goya.  No Golden Star, not even Thai Kitchen.  And GF Chris, I was in Publix last night and looked at their Goya coconut milk.  The ones I have at home from Walmart say "no preservatives, no stabilizers" and is just coconut milk, water, and guar gum.  The ones at Publix also said "no gums" on the label, and contains potassium metabisulfite (instead?).

Looks like it varies by region. I just came back from my local grocery store and both the regular and light version of Goya coconut milk in a can contained potassium metabisulfite.

Weird. 

Lesson to all: read your labels!!

Looks like it varies by region. I just came back from my local grocery store and both the regular and light version of Goya coconut milk in a can contained potassium metabisulfite.

Weird. 

Lesson to all: read your labels!!

I have no idea about labelling laws in the US, but could it be that different states require different labels? perhaps every can contains the same  ingredients but some states aren't required to label it if (perhaps) it's less than a certain %?

I have no idea about labelling laws in the US, but could it be that different states require different labels? perhaps every can contains the same  ingredients but some states aren't required to label it if (perhaps) it's less than a certain %?

From my exchange with 1Maryann, her local Walmart had one compliant version and her grocery store had a non-compliant version (the same one I have in my local grocery store). The question in this case really goes back to the manufacturer, Goya.

Archived