Chicken Marbella (unbelievable!)

Erin

This is one of my favorite dishes but is normally made with brown sugar and wine. I picked up some chicken thighs and legs at a farmers market last week and wasn't sure what to do with them until I realized I could make this favorite Paleo-friendly! It turned out AMAZING. I served mine over cauliflower mashed, but it would also be great over any veggie.

2.5 lbs chicken thighs & legs

1 clove of garlic, peeled and chopped

1/8 cup dried oregano

coarse salt and freshly ground pepper to taste

1/4 cup balsamic vinegar

1/4 cup olive oil

1 cup pitted and chopped dates

1/4 cup spanish green olives

1/4 cup capers with a bit of juice

1. Preheat oven to 350

2. In a large bowl, combine all of the ingredients except for the chicken

3. Place chicken in a baking dish and cover with the combined ingredients (make sure the fatty side is facing up)

4. Bake for 1 hour, basting frequently with pan juices

When done, serve over mashed cauliflower and add lots of the pan juices

Hope you like it!

Oh my god, so this was amazing. Thank you. It was seriously lick-the-plate good, and I have leftovers for lunch tomorrow!

I'm thrilled you made it and enjoyed it!! Can you even believe it? I know, I licked my plate too.

Oooh, I want to try this! Just curious, what kind of balsalmic vinegar do you use? I can't find any without sulfites.

I use this one http://www.tropicaltraditions.com/organic_balsamic_vinegar.htm You might find a lot of balsamic vinegars with "naturally occurring sulfites" because of the grapes. I found this brand at a health food store. It's a super easy dish to make. Please let me know how you like it!

Erin

Oh man...first my salt grinder opened while I was making the sauce dumping a load of rock salt, so I had to try pick out as much as I could....then I realised my dates were coated in glucose syrup (jeez,are they not sweet enough for folks??)

And then I reliased I already had a jar of capers in the fridge, grr, hate wasting money!

Oh well, I hope it turns out nice after all the palaver.

ETA - omfg this is so yummy!! Not a good dish for listening to my body because I definitely kept eating more when I should have stopped :D

I'm going to share it on my Irish mums board this evening.

• 5 years later...
  • 3 months later...

This looks delicious!! And from the raving reviews it must be good.

My other half isn't a fan of balsamic vinegar, he swears it made him sick once :rolleyes:, how strong is the balsamic flavour after cooking or does it caramelize and he'll never know?

Archived