My super easy Chili recipe

GLC1968

I altered my mom's chili recipe to be bean free when I first went paleo almost two years ago. I'm sharing it here because it's so easy and so good!

For anyone who found that Well Fed's chocolate chili gave them heartburn - maybe this one won't? (I had that problem with the Well Fed version but this one is fine for me...)

Mom's Chili

2 lbs grass-fed ground beef

1 large onion, roughly chopped

28 oz crushed tomatoes (check for versions without sugar)

2 T chili powder

1 tsp garlic salt

1 bay leaf

1/2 tsp ground cayenne pepper for heat or aleppo pepper for depth

1 bell pepper, chopped (I usually use orange or yellow)

2 celery stalks, chopped

Brown beef and onions in large pot. Dump in all remaining ingredients once beef is browned and stir. Bring to a boil and then let simmer for about a hour or longer. Eat topped with avocado!

(Or stick in fridge and reheat the next day - it gets better once the flavors have had a chance to blend)

This can be done in a crock pot. Just crumble up beef (raw) and toss it all into the pot. Cook on low for about 8 hours.

By the way - it freezes beautifully, too. :)

Oh, and I've often subbed thick zucchini rounds for the bell pepper with good success. Carrots or parsnips work too...but for those, you'll want to cook it longer. Mostly, it's just about getting a chunkier texture without the beans. Cook it long enough, and it all starts to taste the same anyway. ;)

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived