White & Sweet Potatoes Explanation

Unless I missed it (and I'm currently leafing through it and can't find it anywhere), white potatoes aren't explained as to why they are on the no fly list in ISWF. I think I can guess as to why they are not W30, but I'm curious as to how they measure up to the 4 set of criteria. (I am guessing 1 & 2 fail, but what about gut and inflammation?) I know that in the Paleo world they are considered a border food. It's also not one of the foods that they suggest to test in Chapter 19: Reintroduction. So I'm guessing it's mainly an insulin response issue?

Along that note, I'm also curious as to why sweet potatoes are on the approved list.

Thanks.

I think Melissa and Dallas would say, the decision is somewhat arbitrary but they have to draw a line somewhere. White potatoes are relatively carb dense and nutrient poor. The problem with them is not necessarily that they fail the criteria as much as they're just simply over consumed and not an optimal food choice. Most people don't just have a small skinless potato, they have mounds of mashed potatoes or plates full of french fries. But in normal portions and with skin removed, potatoes are pretty neutral as far as gut problems and inflammation.

Considering white potatoes are a "border" food as you mention, and sweet potatoes offer more nutrients, they are approved. Potatoes are really not all that bad we just think there are better things you could be putting on your plate.

Archived