Pre/Post-Workout Meal Suggestions?

malie

I'm posting again, since it seems there were a bunch of unanswered questions on this thread. 

PRE-WORKOUT, you want a small portion of protein and fat. minimal carbs, because the goal here is just to signal to the body that it is ok to start burning fat, not give the body easy carbs that it will use instead. When you start to become more flexible in what energy you use for exercise (the body fat vs. carbs you just ate) you will find endurance and performance improve dramatically, even if you don't need to use fat/lose weight. This recommendation is for everyone.

POST-WORKOUT, you want a larger portion (1/2 palm to a palm) of protein, and optionally something carby (and glucose filled), like sweet potato, and minimal fat. This is intended to restore muscle glycogen and build new tissue in the window right after your workout when muscles are primed and particularly receptive to taking it up. This helps recovery as well. As Tom mentioned, if you feel good with just protein, that's ok. Glycogen will get restored as the day goes on and you eat your meals, but some people feel A LOT better if they get a hit of carbs right then. Rule of thumb would be: if you are trying to lose weight and feel good without post-WO carbs, then skip them. If you are trying to maintain or gain weight/and or you need carbs post-WO to feel good, then eat those. Always eat the protein.

oh and the reason for low fat postWO is to get these foods digested as quickly as possible. Fat slows digestion, which is usually good, but not in this case.

Hi! 

I hope you dont mind me jumping into this thread but I also have some issues I need some help with.

I participate in heavy strength training 5x a week (Mon-Fri) in the evening time after work. The evening is the only time I am able to train and my session commences from 6:30pm-8pm-ish. I take my BCAA tablets pre and post workout, and I also eat a small pre workout meal which consists of protein and fats.

However, my struggle to eat enough protein and carbs after my workout is what is worrying me. A factor which may be contributing to this is the time I get home to eat? I get home for around 8:30pm and I find that my appetite is temporarily suppressed maybe because it is late - despite literally tearing my muscles apart during training. For the last week, I have had to resort to drinking a post workout smoothie which consists of 250 ml almond milk, 1 raw sweet potato, 1tbsp 100% raw cacao powder, and 1 scoop of hemp protein with a drizzle of date syrup. Yesterday I was able to stomach 2 meat balls and half a handful of veg after drinking my smoothie but I literally had to force this down. I know I shouldnt be drinking smoothies of any form but this is the only source of energy I am currently able to stomach as soon as I get in. And because my main focus is to gain muscle mass while quickly recovering in time for the next session, I know I need to eat  in order for this to happen!!

Once it hits around 10:30pm I am HUNGRY. This is the time I could literally inhale a whole meal.. But my bed time is 11pm so I end up going to bed feeling hungry because it is far too late to eat. I have no issues in eating during the day/the following day. I eat plenty, my meals consist of 2 palms of protein, 2-3 servings of veg and 1-2 servings of fat. 

Any advice? How can I get around this? Maybe because the eating plan on the Whole30 is quite restriced, I'm getting bored of eating the same stuff over and over now? lol. It might be worth noting that I am on day 23 and have not seen much of an improvement in reducing my bloated belly. So, after reading various threads, I have decided to cut out the eggs and nuts for the final week to see if this helps.

Thank you in advance for your time and suggestions.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok, first of all check your BCAA tablets for off plan ingredients like Stevia as many of them have a sweetener (or two) of some kind added to improve the flavour.

Secondly, that date syrup in your smoothie is off plan. Also the almond milk is a fat which you shouldn't be taking postWO as it will slow down the absorption of the protein. And as you know we don't recommend smoothies at all.

Your post WO need only be a few bites of a lean protein (& some optional starchy carbs) it does not need to be a full meal. I tend to eat (a tin of tuna in spring water or some roast chicken or even hard boiled egg whites) in the changing room as soon as I'm done training, then I shower, then eat my next meal - all within the space of say 30/45mins.

That should allow more time for you to eat your actual meal before bed time.

Sorry, final question.. I understand that a Post workout meal is a bonus meal, so how do I also get around cramming a bonus meal AND, in my case, my final meal of the day within a certain time frame, without compromising my focus of gaining muscle mass?

Thank you again  :)  :)

Sorry, final question.. I understand that a Post workout meal is a bonus meal, so how do I also get around cramming a bonus meal AND, in my case, my final meal of the day within a certain time frame, without compromising my focus of gaining muscle mass?

Thank you again  :)  :)

See my reponse above - hope this helps!

Ok, first of all check your BCAA tablets for off plan ingredients like Stevia as many of them have a sweetener (or two) of some kind added to improve the flavour.

Secondly, that date syrup in your smoothie is off plan. Also the almond milk is a fat which you shouldn't be taking postWO as it will slow down the absorption of the protein. And as you know we don't recommend smoothies at all.

Your post WO need only be a few bites of a lean protein (& some optional starchy carbs) it does not need to be a full meal. I tend to eat (a tin of tuna in spring water or some roast chicken or even hard boiled egg whites) in the changing room as soon as I'm done training, then I shower, then eat my next meal - all within the space of say 30/45mins.

That should allow more time for you to eat your actual meal before bed time.

No way!!! I assumed that because dates are allowed, date syrup would be fine, ahhhhhh my bad! I'll stop using that right away. I've literally been using a drizzle to mask the gritty concrete-like taste of the hemp, my smoothie has been anything but pleasant and sweet :blink: . I understand, I have not tried doing that just yet because I literally have no time to stop after I have finished my workout. I have to rush out of the gym as I have much preparation to get done for the following day all before my 11pm bedtime, so maybe I can try and get a few bites in when I get picked up in the car. You've also answered my other question in the second post so thanks for that also. :) MY BCAA's are Whole30 compliant, I read through your recommedations and brought the same one- by Optimum Nutrition?

to mask the gritty concrete-like taste of the hemp,

It may help to know that hemp isn't a very significant source of protein at all. no need to choke it down.

Also, although I think you might have post-workout sorted now, I wanted to mention that the kind of training you are doing might also require more food in general throughout the day. Consider eating the high end of the meal template as well as meeting pre- and post-workout recommendations.

It may help to know that hemp isn't a very significant source of protein at all. no need to choke it down.

Also, although I think you might have post-workout sorted now, I wanted to mention that the kind of training you are doing might also require more food in general throughout the day. Consider eating the high end of the meal template as well as meeting pre- and post-workout recommendations.

In all honesty, this smoothie has pretty much been nothing but a final resort given how my body was responding after training. I knew it wasnt going to be very good but I just couldnt eat anything solid. I will ditch the smoothie from tonight and am going to prepare a mini post workout meal for tomorrow to eat on my way home. 

Yeah you are absolutely right. I get hungry even though my meal consists of 2 palms of protein, 2-3 servings of veg and up to 3 servings of fat. I eat 3 full meals while at work, but I also end up snacking too, for example, a portion of Coconut Yoghurt with some berries.. as I do find myself getting hungry in between meals. I try to hold out as I am normally a massive snacker and someone who ate 6x a day. I try to eat another full meal after training but this has been difficult given how late in the day it gets and how my body has been responding in the past few weeks etc. Hopefully this will feel differently once I make the suggested amendments.

Anything else you would suggest given the kind of traning I have been doing? I wasnt struggling with eating lots before I started the Whole30, so just want to make sure I am compliant, but well fed, and on the road to increasing muscle!  :) 

...I also end up snacking too, for example, a portion of Coconut Yoghurt with some berries...

Sorry, but the coconut yoghurt is fine for using in a marinade, but when eaten like this with fruit it's a little bit desserty...

As missmary has said I'd just eat more at each meal. The meal template is the minimum recommendation and it's really okay to eat more if you need to do so to keep you satiated for 4-5hrs.

You may find with the postWO tweak that you are able to get in that full meal three and it might make all the difference as what we eat has a cumulative effect....

Sorry, but the coconut yoghurt is fine for using in a marinade, but when eaten like this with fruit it's a little bit desserty...

Noted - thank you. 

I eat until I am full, but then I find that i get hungry again after eating a full meal about 2hr 30 min - 3 hours later. So I will eat again. I read on a separate post that it is ok to eat 3 or 4 or 5 proper meals if you feel "chicken and broccolli" hungry - which I do, so i'll continue doing this if need be :)

Looking forward to trying out the Post work out trick from hereon to see how it helps.

Many thanks for your advice, much appreciated.

• 5 months later...

Hi, 

I see that Meal 1 should come shortly after the post-workout meal if you workout in the morning; is that the case for evening workouts? Let's say I work out at 7; I can have a pre-workout snack around 6:30, workout for an hour, have post-workout snack at 8 and dinner, what 8:30? Is that too close? 

Thanks! 

You may find you can forgo the preWO and just up the fat & protein content of meal 2.

Post WO should be eaten immediately upon finishing, and then you can eat your next meal as soon as you're ready, which for me tends to be as soon as I've showered...

• 2 weeks later...

I've been reading this thread and it seems the most relevant to my problem. Everyone is asking WHAT to eat for a post-workout/pre-workout meal and I would like to know EXACTLY how my recovery is being effected by my diet change. I just finished the January whole30 and decided the next stop on the train would be going back to crossfit. I'm one week in w/ 3 days at the gym and my quads feel absolutely shredded. I've been doing the general recovery activities, light cardio, stretching, foam rolling, etc., but my coach mentioned today I may not be getting enough carbs in post workout to really drill in my recovery. I never used to get this sore pre-whole30, and I also don't want to eat off plan meals simply to boost carb intake, but two days to recover from one 30 min. workout seems a bit intense to me. Ideas anyone? I NEED some help.

Ideas anyone? I NEED some help.

Have you tried following the whole30 post-workout recommendations? That's where I would start. No need to go off plan to get carbs, eat some sweet potatoes or potatoes or carrots or winter squash, etc. along with lean protein right after you finish your workout. Plenty of water throughout the day should help with recovery as well.

Hi everyone-

I am starting my first whole30 this Sunday. I'm wary bc Im into tracking macros and lifting at the gym regularly; I am nervous of not getting enough protein in daily and losing muscle over these 30 days. Normally I have at LEAST 135g protein a day, usually having 1 protein shake and getting the rest through foods. Also, here's why I'm REALLY nervous, since I have Hashimoto's I should be following the autoimmune version of whole30. Therefore I can't even have eggs as a way of getting protein in. Any suggestions how to find extra snacks/foods without having to be eating 6 meals of meat all day lol? Or, what's the minimum gram of protein I should be safe in taking so I don't lose muscle? Lastly, I'm wondering if I follow all the autoimmune rules, is that going to totally ruin my whole30?? Any help welcome please!!!!

Hi Jen

You'll be having protein (1-2 palm sized pieces - that's the length, width & depth of your palm) at every meal, as well as at the very least a postWO meal of protein & optional starchy carb on the days that you train - I'm pretty sure you'll be eating in excess of 135g so no need to worry on that front. Do not worry about weighing your meals, or counting macros, or stepping the scale.... Follow the recommended meal template and you'll be fine, honestly.

As for how to do that without eggs you can eat any other type of animal protein you like - chicken, beef, bison, turkey, pork, lamb, goat, organ meat etc..... and not forgetting seafood so don't panic - there are still plenty of other options!

We'd recommend that you do a standard Whole30 before doing the AIP, but that doesn't mean you need to add in anything that you usually wouldn't eat - eat whatever you're comfortable with, so long as it's all compliant.

And for best results follow the rules (obviously) AND the recommendations - which means don't plan for snacks, & do plan to build meals that will satiate you for 4-5hrs because that's how the magic happens...

And breathe  ;) 

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for all the information here. Today was my first day doing pre & post wo meals (I'm on Day 2 of the Whole30), and I can see where I can make better choices. I had a HB egg with 1/4 avocado pre run [more fat than I realized!], and 2 sweet potato/egg pancakes (mashed sweet potatoes blended eggs, cinnamon ginger and tumeric, then cooked) post run, along with 1 oz of pork tenderloin).

I think for my next run on Thursday, I will just do one HB egg pre run, and a little chicken breast with some mashed sweet potato post run. That sounds like that may work best. Trial and error! :)

This thread has answered a lot of my questions! and I'm not even starting whole 30 until next week!

I've been trying to think through our routine in the morning to plan ahead... Currently my husband and I wake up at 4:30. I test my blood sugar (I'm a T1 diabetic) and we have a powdered pre-workout and I have some PB if my blood sugar is under 120. We work out for an hour and come home. I test my blood sugar again and take a shower while my husband makes a protein shake and cooks omelettes. I'm usually eating breakfast by 6:30-45. I have to be out the door by 7:10 for work.

Here is what I'm thinking the routine will be on whole 30

4:30 - wake up and test blood sugar

4:45 - pre-workout: almonds or cashews

5:00 - workout: warm up with cardio, 30 minutes weight training, 20 minutes HIIT circuit

6:00 - post-workout (in car): test blood sugar, smoked salmon and baked sweet potato slices

6:30 - meal 1: 3 egg veggie omelette, berries or avocado, herbal tea, take bolus insulin dose

**Are nuts ok for pre-WO? or do they contain too many carbs?

Per my endocrinologist's request, I will be logging my diet and exercise to email to her so she can make recommendations on my insulin dosages, although she has given me license to adjust my dosages day to day as needed. Nevertheless, I will always keep dates or dried fruit on me to use in case of hypoglycemic episodes

Nuts are *okay* although many people find them difficult to digest. If you're used to taking some peanut butter then the equivalent in some other nut butter might work for you - now this is absolutely the only time I'd recommend eating nut butter from a spoon!!

PostWO your salmon is perhaps a little oily - you don't want to be eating fat postWO so maybe switch that to tuna, chicken or pork (or any other type of lean protein).

Your first meal then should follow the template - the berries or avocado I'd switch to berries AND avocado, provided you've enough veg in your omelette, otherwise I'd ditch the berries & sub for more veg.

Good to see you so wiling to step away from the shakes!!

Thank-you for the input! I thought of smoked salmon, because I've eaten that in the morning when going backpacking.

I may switch the smoked salmon to my pre-WO meal and then include a small chicken sausage patty with my sweet potato for post.

For omelettes, I will have mushrooms, green peppers, onion, and maybe tomatoes and olives. I will experiment with avocado and berries to see what will tide me over until lunch at 11:30-noonish

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I know this thread is kind of old but I wasn't really sure where to ask this. I am only just starting to exercise. 10-15 min of resistance band and 10 min of low impact cardio, but not at the same time. Do I need a pre/post work out meal at this level?

I know this thread is kind of old but I wasn't really sure where to ask this. I am only just starting to exercise. 10-15 min of resistance band and 10 min of low impact cardio, but not at the same time. Do I need a pre/post work out meal at this level?

How do you feel afterwards? I would guess that many people could do a 15 minute workout without extra fuel, but don't take it for granted. If you feel depleted, have a bite or two of protein and starchy vegetables.

I just signed up for the forums and I'm not sure how to start a thread so I'm posting my question here.  I started Whole 30 due to many health issues like fatigue, muscle aches caused by fibromyalgia and osteoarthritis, asthma, environmental allergies, hypothyroidism, and IBS. I’m 53 years old, my weight was 162 pounds when I started, and my height is 5 feet 3 inches tall. I started Whole 30, 12 days ago and so far I love everything about it.  However I suffered a shoulder injury prior to starting the program and because of all the other health issues I have I’m in severe pain. I’m going to physical therapy 3 times a week. I am not a fan of doing workouts but I love to walk. The doctor said I can only do some slow paced walks until everything is healed.  Would this affect my progress?  Is exercising a key to success in Whole 30.  The book is great but it does not give any fitness recommendations.   It actually assumes that everyone doing Whole 30 already has an exercise routine established, which is not my case.  I’m starting to feel better pain wise and I’m hoping to get the okay from my doctor to start doing something soon.  I would like some recommendations as to where to start in this area and what would be a good routine to follow. Thanks for your support!

Archived