Ezekiel bread?

I am currently on Day 17 but I wasnt sure where to post this.

I am *trying* to limit grains and sugars for my kids. What do you guys think? I know sprouting is good, but still doesnt break down the gluten. The bread will be used for the boys in emergency-type cases - a quick AB&banana. Plus the upside is your can freeze it until you want to use it.

Thoughts?

If you are in the midst of your Whole30, you will want to avoid all grains, even sprouted. Which I am sure the moderators can clarify for you.

If you are post, Whole30, you will want to be careful because most of their loaves contain soy. For me, this is one thing I am refuse to add back in, even post-Whole30. Not to mention, I am allergic to it, but even still.

If you read the book, "It Starts with Food" there is a whole section that discusses grains, including soy. This will help you better understand why you should avoid them. But, again, this is something the moderators can clarify, too.

Best of luck to you!

I am Whole82...and can tell you it was the BEST decision I have made in my life!! Have fun!

I feel kids need to be led gently. Icky on the soy. I'd almost rather see an occasional piece of Dave's bread. Pretty sure he never uses soy but look first. You are taking your kiddos in the right direction. I applaud you for that. :0)

yes, I have heard of Dave's before. Just looked it up and has cane sugar in it .. I guess that is better than soybeans.

and my kids are young (8 months, 3, and 5), so I am trying to led them as gently as I can. thankfully they are young and easy to influence. :)

Perfect age to do this. They are lucky. :0) Dave is local here in Portland and I can tell you he is VERY careful about his breads and how he sources his ingredients. Weird that we are speaking bread and grains. Would the kids notice if all bread was gone? Scrambled eggs are as quickly made as a piece of toast. :) Scrambled eggs, sweet potatoes and apple slices (or apple sauce) with almond butter? Breakfast of champions. :0)

my kids are all about cereal in the morning. I have gone from Lucky charms to Trader O's. some mornings they eat eggs with us. I also am okay with letting them have dairy, so they get yogurt too. But my 5 year old is an avid cereal lover. It is really hard getting him to change.

i've made a really good banana/apple/plum puree for the baby, and the kids ate it up as well. Its just hard because once the cereal is gone, the kids are begging to go to the store to buy more. My next step is to make grain-free granola and have them eat that with milk.

I'm leading my kids gently. They still sometimes have grains if we are out or at someone else's house (even at our house on the weekend..). But I stopped buying cereal and bread.

I wouldn't want to give kids soy. I see though why it'd be handy to have a loaf of bread in the freezer. You could also have gluten-free bread in the freezer--or any bread for that matter.

But you can also get around the bread. When it's time for an emergency snack I give my kids a spoonful or two of almond butter. Same as a sandwich, but without the bread. You can also put almond butter on an apple, or celery.

Cereal really does come in handy. I miss it some days. But it's so processed and junky--even the "healthy" stuff I'd been buying.. We eat grass-fed yogurt and fruit most days and some kind of meat if they will eat it. If it was cold, I'd still have non GMO, gluten-free oats on hand for breakfast emergencies.

Beets - the funny thing is, one kid doesnt like almond butter, the other does. I have seen recipes floating around for AB/date balls, I think I might try my hand at those.

cereal is super easy, you're right. they are also into pancakes, and i just found a recipe that is 1 banana+2 eggs = pancake. I am going to give it a try tomorrow and serve fresh strawberries and coconut cream on top :)

Good luck with the pancake! I gave sweet potato pancakes a try one morning. Miserable failure! Was in early days of my W30 when I was still getting off coffee and feeling horrible, my kids were hungry and looking for cereal. Kind of ruined me on alternative "pancakes" for awhile.

Report back?

My kids love frozen bananas and bananas in general.

Also, I will sometimes put a drop of honey on the AB if I really want them to eat some protein. (I know, it's not meat protein, but like I said, my kids are in the slow transition version.)

Archived