Fenugreek

aliciadunn

Hello gang, post whole-30 here but still keeping fairly strict. As I explore new recipes, I continue to have new questions!

Bought some fenugreek powder this week and couldn't wait to use it. Smells DELICIOUS. Fenugreek pops up in a lot of paleo recipes, especially curries and Indian cooking. However now that I'm digging into this further, I'm nervous:

Fenugreek powder comes from fenugreek seeds. Fenugreek seeds appear to be legumes. Can someone clarify what's going on here? Do I need to track down Fenugreek leaves instead? Most of these recipes call for fenugreek powder so I am confused.

Well, Fenugreek is a legume plant, so I'm thinking that all of the plant counts. The only difference I am aware of is that the leaves are considered a herb and the ground seeds are a spice. I doubt that using the leaves will get away from them being a legume, and I'm not sure they'd work as a substitute as far as flavour goes either.

I've avoided it the past two years, since I have a starch issue, but it is an awesome spice in Indian-style dishes! I probably could have tried adding it back in the past year, but I'm really cautious, since there's serious pain involved when an "experiment" fails. I avoid nightshade spices too, for the same reason.

So, I guess I'm biased in the opposite direction to Tom. :lol:

Archived