Kombucha Makers Unite; Where to ask and be answered

kb0426

That is so cute. Hannah from KombuchaKamp likes hers plain and flat. I saw something about Kombucha ice pops so I ordered cute star shaped ice pop mold from Amazon today.

I think watermelon mint is my favorite flavor so far. I also think I prefer the less fruity ones. Cucumber mint made me happy. I am looking forward to golden beet and thyme. Also lime and Thai basil. Think Mojito with basil intead of mint.

• Like 1

That is so cute. Hannah from KombuchaKamp likes hers plain and flat. I saw something about Kombucha ice pops so I ordered cute star shaped ice pop mold from Amazon today.

I think watermelon mint is my favorite flavor so far. I also think I prefer the less fruity ones. Cucumber mint made me happy. I am looking forward to golden beet and thyme. Also lime and Thai basil. Think Mojito with basil intead of mint.

You made the watermelon mint! I knew it would be good!

and you had me at mojito...

Nadia, I just want to squeeze your dad he is so cute!

Nadia, I just want to squeeze your dad he is so cute!

Me too! He's adorable.

We just had the coldest night of the year here in Perth. Not conducive for SCOBY growing. I think my baby might have to move camp to the laundry - that side of the house gets a lot more sun. If the cloth completely covers the jar, is it ok for it to be in sunlight?

Cardamon. Weird but I love cardamon. Will be perfect Christmas drink. What's gonna happen if you heat booch? I assume all the good stuff will be destroyed?

Ooh ooh, there is a beautiful Rekorderlig cider with vanilla and cinnamon. They call it Winter Cider and you can drink it hot or cold. I might have to try that flavouring if I ever get to the point where I can brew (impatient Sophie!). Though someone else can try heating it up first :P

I'll try pulling the blinds across a bit, failing that it can always go in a cupboard. My kitchen doesn't get any sun at all and I'm worried the whole project will come to a screeching halt now that the cold is setting in!

I'll make hubby go to a pet shop with me on the premise of finding a heating pad. Then I can look at some kitties at the same time. Though if we start looking at reptile keeping things, he'll probably decide he wants a snake.

• Like 1

I'll make hubby go to a pet shop with me on the premise of finding a heating pad. Then I can look at some kitties at the same time. Though if we start looking at reptile keeping things, he'll probably decide he wants a snake.

Lol. My daughter has a Ball Python named Allen. He's quite sweet and creepy.

• Like 1

I wouldn't mind one actually, I think they're beautiful (but creepy) creatures. We have no idea where we'll go when I've finished my PhD though, might entail leaving Oz if I find a post elsewhere and I don't imagine a snake would be the easiest pet to take with you.

Probably easier than a SCOBY though! Ha!

She's all set up :)

I have it at the end of the sofa to keep it out of light...and on top of my dumbell box :) so I can fit my jug under the tap.

c23abef8c9f711e291de22000a9e023a_6.jpg

I used organic green tea & organic sugar => organic kombucha :)

I was thinking, would baby food fruit purees be an easy way to flavour it?

Something like these would be very easy to squirt in to the bottle.

http://www.plumorganics.com/products

• Like 2

She looks very nice. Love the polka dots. I think I need a polka dot skirt. :)

The purees look good. I usually mush fresh or frozen fruits but those do look nice and easy to squirt into the second stage container.

That was the fabric that came with the kit (I'd prefer a more shabby chic ditsy print :) )- I tell you getting the elastic band on single-handed tested my patience!

I saw on stupid easy paleo that she makes icecubes out of puree to flavour hers, but that wouldn't work for narrow necked lemonade bottles that I'll be using.

But I'm going to leave the first bottle plain I think.

p.s Lily likes your avatar "look, a frog chillaxing" :D

post-14185-13700184156292_thumb.jpg

Just thought I'd share a pic of my 2 1/2 gallon SCOBY and brew, Denver, started by a dear friend and jazz musician several years ago from a bottle of GT's. He passed it along to me when he moved to Denver to pursue his music. I have passed out many babies from this one.

To make 2 1/2 gallons I use 15 bags of organic oolong tea, 2 1/2 cups organic sugar. I bottle in Grolsh bottles, usually unflavored, but leave it out for a day or two to get fizzy before storing in the fridge. I always brew my sweet tea the night before I bottle so as soon as I bottle I can dump in room temp tea and start it fermenting right away.

• Like 6

Will I get tut-tutted at for taking another picture of my SCOBY?  Its surface is very ... uneven ... and all the pictures I see usually feature nice smooth SCOBYs.  I am worried my pet is some kind of mutant  :mellow:

Lol...my SCOBY's baby was a funny looking kid. I say that with motherly love. :) They get bumpy because of the gasses working their way to the top. They also get oddly brown from the tannins in the tea. All good stuff. :)

• Like 1

Alright, it's an official scoby show off then  :D

My watermelon mint turned out strange. What did I do wrong :( Not enough of the fruit I guess. Boo. I've made a batch with mix of green and white tea. Can't wait. Also a memo to everyone - label them as you flavor them. I thought I'll figure out when I will be straining and tasting. Nope. I have 6 (!!!) bottles of mystery booch. That's why I've never made my way in the field of science :) Pear cranberry ginger is to die for. So is apricot cherry.