Kombucha Makers Unite; Where to ask and be answered

kb0426

Ha ha, who will be the first to report an explosion?

I was thinking along the same lines KB ... Now to figure out where that is, not very evident chez moi. I wonder if the landlord will let me dig a kombucha bunker in the garden?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I have said the same thing! I plan on my second fermentation being done where the least amount of collateral damage can be incurred from an explosion.

Has anyone read Pollan's Cooked? He fermeted and exploded red grapes in his parent's living room when he was a kid! That would be bad! One site I read suggested putting the bottles in a cooler for the 2nd ferment, just in case. Not a bad idea.

• Like 1

You are giving me all sorts of flavoring ideas mm! My co-op has a fresh apple ginger lemon juice which I am always tempted to order. Maybe once I am flavoring, I will order one and bring it home to add for second fermentation.

Hello kombucha friends! I made my first scoby from GT's plain and it worked just fine. BUT if yours doesn't work, kb, I'm happy to share . Oh and for the record: fav flavor so far is blueberry/lemon/ginger...although blackberry/lemon was pretty awesome.

MM and other people who've grown a SCOBY from GT's: I've read in a couple places that since they reformulated their kombucha in 2010 it's really hard to grow a SCOBY. Have you grown yours recently?

Was this the regular kombucha or the "special" GT's that's sold with beer and has a big "21 and over" label on it? This is supposedly more like the old GT's… I've only seen that variety in one place.

• Moderators

Hi gang! I've hopped on the bandwagon and am attempting to grow a SCOBY in my pantry from a bottle of regular GT's and a cup of sweetened black tea. I feel like a kid again doing a science experiment. So fun!

Though when I was in the fifth grade I never imagined I could have partners in crime from all over the world via the magic of the intarwebs. . . . Love. It.

• Like 5

MM and other people who've grown a SCOBY from GT's: I've read in a couple places that since they reformulated their kombucha in 2010 it's really hard to grow a SCOBY. Have you grown yours recently?

Was this the regular kombucha or the "special" GT's that's sold with beer and has a big "21 and over" label on it? This is supposedly more like the old GT's… I've only seen that variety in one place.

Beets, I found "beer" GT and have one jar with it and one jar of the new formula. Beer seems to be forming way faster.

Hi Beets - I read the same thing too about GT, but that was after I made a beautiful, perfect Scoby using plain GT kombucha. I ignored that article and now my second beautiful, perfect Scoby from plain GT is almost finished. So far so good. I start bottling my first batch with my new scoby tomorrow. Can't wait to see how it all turns out.

I have grown mine a month ago from GT original bottle. I've read about reformulation too, but it worked.

My flavors so far:

Blackberry-mango

Blackberry-strawberry-basil (loved it)

Strawberry-mint (loved it),

Strawberry-mango (too sweet but super fuzzy which is fun)

Ginger-lemon-orange (loved it)

Orange vanilla (LOVE)

Pineapple/strawberry/ginger

Cherry/orange (good)

Cucumber/lime/mint (a bit too bitter)

Cherry/vanilla (amazing)

Apricot/saffron/mint (best stuff ever)

Orange/cinnamon/cloves (Christmas!)

Apricot-cranberry-ginger (very good)

Orange-lemon-ginger (super fresh)

Apple-cinnamon (mnom)

Coconut-pineapple-mint (whatever)

New flavors that are going through second fermentation:

Peach/strawberry/ginger

Strawberry/Kiwi

Pear/Vanilla

Pear/Ginger

Cherry/Vanilla

Cherry/Basil

Carrot cake

Carrot/Ginger

Carrot/Apple/Cinnamon

Cranberry/Mango

Cranberry/Pineapple/Orange

Honeydew/Cardamon

Honeydew/Orange/Mint

Honeydew/Cantaloupe/Ginger/Lemongrass

Cantaloupe/Lavender

Cantaloupe/Basil

I don't burp anything. Hm. I just start opening them in two days as I am too impatient. This is how much fizz I have after the bottles sit overnight. Just to annoy you, Susan :P

null_zpsa61fefd4.jpgnull_zps6e2dabf0.jpg

• Like 6

Lets all bow our heads. My first SCOBY has to be tossed out. She developed mold. As in blue hairy stuff. Hannah at KK said I need to throw it all out. So sad.

I'm sorry for your loss. :-(

Lets all bow our heads. My first SCOBY has to be tossed out. She developed mold. As in blue hairy stuff. Hannah at KK said I need to throw it all out. So sad.

Oh crap, I've missed this one. I wish it was a false alert. Susan, you have the second one, right?

It had a good, productive life. Fitting for Memorial Day.

I had to toss them both. Baby SCOBY was the one that had hairy mold.

It's all in the name of boochology! You are the booch pioneer. There is no such thing as experiment without a fail.

Nadia,

What was the easy remove the label method you used?

Susan's method works wonders! Fill the bottle with hot water, let sit and peel. Right?

• Like 1

Nadia,

What was the easy remove the label method you used?

Susan - both of them! This is a very sad day indeed!

Label remover expert here. Fill bottle with hot tap water. Do not let label get wet. Set timer for 10 minutes. Start peeling at seam. Use goof off on glue residu.

Yep. They have been dishwashered.

Oh lawdy. Then still fill with hot water to temper the glass, but bring other water to a boil. Dump hot water out and carefully fill bottles with boiling water. I say carefully because they can break if not tempered first. Let boiled water sit for 5-10 minutes. Label will peel right off. Use sticky side to remove leftover glue. Then resort to goof off.

• Like 2