Plan a Whole30 dream vacation

I'd go back to Vanuatu. I went there for a holiday a few years ago and it was amazing! The food is compliant, that's just how the locals roll. The market in Port Vila is awesome, you could get all your food needs there easy. And getting a bit thirsty? Sweet talk a local into grabbing you a coconut from the tree you're standing under. Plus, its beach/tropical paradise, so you can swim and relax, and its easy to find lots of outdoor activities especially around Port Vila. And the volcanoes on other islands are a bit of fun too!

My favourite thing would have to be the locals. Such a relaxed care free attitude, we could all learn from them.

Its like Vanuatu was made for Whole30-ers...

• 3 weeks later...

I would go back to my beloved Portugal. I would stay in Lisbon and take some days to relax and get in some sights (the castles, the monasteries) and then take some days for relaxation on the beach. I would also attend meditation and yoga classes. There's a bigger Buddhist population than you'd think and they've influenced the spiritual scene of Lisbon, so you can find a lot of spiritual retreats. My biggest focus would be on healing my body and re-energizing my spirit. Ok, and I'd do some shopping because the clothes there are fantastic.

As far as food goes, a lot of the meat is grass fed, they've got delicious rabbit and duck dishes, fresha and local vegetables are plentiful- you've never seen so many ways to make cabbage, green beans, or kale. The soups are to die for!  But the best part is the seafood. Codfish, sardines the size of your forearm, carapau, monk fish...I could go on and on. And most of it you can get grilled, but even if it is fried, they use olive oil for practically everything- none of this soybean oil crap.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

My dream vacarion Will go to either Hawaii, Aruba or french riviera, a Sandy beach where I and My husband can relax, sleep well and play in the warm water and dance and do archery.

I would like My own chef to Cook good paleofood for us, just real good tasting food, no sweets or such things.

A hike to the mountains would also be fun one day on the trip.

I Will grov mentally, emotionally and physically during that week as I also got My own personal trainer and do a lot of exercise as well and some meditation each day to come closer to My higher self and God.

I cant wait, I Am on this journey!

• 2 months later...

Whenever we travel my husband and I try to rent an apartment. This gives us the ability to 'live like a local'. We get to experience local grocery stores and markets and interact with locals in a less touristy environment. My husband likes to cook so we don't necessarily worry about a personal chef - although daily housekeeping would be awesome! Not only does this way of travel make a Whole9 vacation more realistic it is often more economical than a typical hotel stay with every meal at a restaurant - so it may put your dream vacation within reach! 

• 1 month later...

It's ironic that this question ended up in my inbox today (day 9 for me of my 1st whole30), as just yesterday I was having a google search fest for tropical yoga retreats. 

I'd love to be on the beach in Mexico, doing hot yoga, drinking fresh juice and having time to write, play music, better my yoga practice and relax -- along with a few days trips to cool local spots. 

It would be a  mix of making my own food and dining out, lots of fresh produce, fish. Hot yoga 2x a day, socializing with new friends, mainly Whole30 foods with a little raw desserts thrown in :)

Sara

The Whole 9 Cruise Line!

Seriously!  That would be AMAZING.  A 30 day cruise (hey we're dreaming right?).  All food served in the restaurants on the cruise liner are, naturally, W30 compliant with such a creative menu that no one would ever get bored.  There would be workshops available for every one of the nine factors, with theory to help us understand exactly why each one is important and practical tips to start creating good habits.  Not to mention, what better place for exercise, relaxation and FUN than a cruise ship!  Massage therapists, jacuzzi tubs, games, basketball courts, a running deck, fitness room, live entertainment... the possibilities are endless.

Each guest on the cruise would get to pick one of the nine factors that they want to focus on during their stay.  Depending on that, they get bonus treats.  For example, if you decided that you wanted to focus on nutrition, perhaps you would get to pick three or four of your favorite meals and have one of Whole 9 Cruise's master chefs teach you step by step how to make each recipe so you have some ammunition when you get home!  Or if you chose relaxation you would get a few free vouchers to the massage therapist and some personal lessons in relaxation technique.  Or if you chose fun and play you would get a free excursion for every two workshops you attend on the topic!

The destination would have to be the Mediterranean Sea, because it's my dream right now and that's where I would go if I could!  Every port would have the typical touristy and adventuresome excursion options, but there would also be Whole30 tour guides available to walk you through local restaurants and food stands to show you how to enjoy all the best W30 compliant options in the native city. 

Everyone would get their very own complimentary copy of "It Starts with Food" and we would all take time during the 30 day trip to read (or reread) it, perhaps with a daily reading guide and Q&A time every week.  If I had the time and the resources and also lived in a reality where this existed I would totally do it!

(And FYI if this ever actually comes into existence I know I will, of course, be given a complimentary cruise for being so brilliant  :D)

• Like 6

• 4 weeks later...

I would go to a ranch where I could ride my horse anytime anywhere I wanted. I would hire someone well versed on whole30 foods so I didn't or wouldnt have to think about it at all. Not having to worry about cooking or cleaning but just having fun doing what I love to do is my idea of a perfect vacation.

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

My dream vacation....  doesn't really matter where it is.  I don't mind cooking for myself, but having someone to cook for me and clean up the kitchen would be ideal.  A massage each day and time to relax would be great. 

The biggest part of the dream is that I would be able to do anything that I wanted (zip-line, rope obstacle in trees, parasailing, horseback riding, helicopter rides, etc)  without being told I can't because of my weight.

One day.....

• Like 2

My Whole9 dream vaca would be on a tropical island with a handful of good friends.  We would learn to spearfish and free dive for shellfish, and how to use the local plant life for our meals.  We'd camp out on the beach, have bonfires at night, and swim and bask in the sun every day.

• 4 weeks later...

My dream vacation would be the Fiji Islands. Basking in the sun day in and day out. I would have my own personal chef to prepare all my Whole 30 meals, and I would dine on all types of seafood dishes.  I would love to engage in horseback riding on the beach, taking hikes around the island, snuggling up with my love in the evening for nice walk on the beach after dinner.

• 4 weeks later...

Mjam, you should partner up with someone and make the Yoga Farm happen! If you do not teach yoga, it's time to start your certification and start pondering what small farms might be open to a new method of income and farm-hand help! It's a lovely idea and we'll all come visit! :)

• 1 month later...

Somewhere in the Mediterranean - I think I could very easily live off of sun, history, seafood, and local fruits and vegetables.  I might have to cheat a bit with local wine though ;)

Focus would be on relaxing, yoga, biking, and walking around to sight see.  Early rising with coffee and a gorgeous view...I want to start planning the trip now!

I would go to Hawaii and try to blend in with the locals.  If I make it there, I would stay all winter long.  After following the locals, I would know where all of the best cafes were located...good meals made from scratch.

Full moons and midnight picnics on the beach would be divine.  I would stay far away from the tourist traps but I would like to go to a luau with pulled pork and sweet taters.  My trip would not be complete without attending one.

• 4 weeks later...

I would fly off to beautiful Positano, Italy, eat fresh seafoods, meats and veggies produced by handsome Italian farmers. I'd definely sneak sips of limoncello, but keep it in check. Hey, when in Italy, do as...

• 4 months later...

I would travel to Thailand for some personal, spiritual growth. I'd enjoy several massages after all of the sight-seeing, bicycle rides and yoga. I'd get in plenty of time in the water, whether at the beach or in some beautiful pool at a 5-Star resort.

My energy would come from all of the delicious seafood and fresh veggies cooked with a little curry. I love me some Thai food...and although this is only Day 9 for me, I'm just sure I could find a recipe (or make one up) that is Whole30 compliant!

I'm off to bed now...hopefully, dreaming about my Whole30 Thailand vacation!

Night.Night.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I have just been on a "dream" (as I then thought) short vacation in Austrian Alps. I snowboard, so I have decided to go to the snow and reap the benefits of my "Tiger Blood Time" to improve my sports performance. My husband and I knew the place already, so we knew the shop and the places, and our apartment had a very well equipped kitchen: we had friends staying over for one night and made mayo twice in five days. :-) Also, we speak German so even if we'd decide to go out we could totally ace "clean" eating out, and the local restaurant keepers are very, very nice people. Least but not last, the quality of meat and produce in Austria is excellent, to say nothing of that we were in a rural area where "frankenfoods" are harder to get than organic stuff.

Still, I came home stressed.

I was stressed the whole time, actually. Why? Well, I love Austrian food. In my opinion, it tastes heavenly. I am not a sweet tooth at all, but they have the best coffee accompanied by the best cakes and sweets, all homemade, fresh and elaborate. While I never, or almost never order a dessert in restaurants, there it was truly painful. It is not only the treats, but the amazing meat products and sides almost always contain non-compliant ingredients. I have gone clothes shopping instead and nailed it, but it didn't feel compensating enough for my "food deprivation". And for me it was a discovery, because before this Whole 30 I never thought I had a problem with eating out. In other places, I just never desired the forbidden foods so much. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Sorry, Melissa, but I don't get the point of this exercise. I thought the objective of the Whole30 is to make good eating habits become second nature, to integrate those healthy choices into our lifestyles so as to become natural and normal and desirable. If this is correct, then I don't see a need to plan a dream vacation around the Whole30 program, because it is a given that anywhere I go, the Whole30 "mentality' goes with me.

However, if you are inviting us to dream about ideal vacation spots, then my choices would be:

1. The Maldives with its turquoise blue waters, beautiful eco-resorts and sumptuous seafood and fruits;

2. Polynesia and Bora Bora for the same reasons above;

3. New Zealand with its stunning vistas, different terrains, wilderness...

On Day 9, I feel stronger than ever that Whole30 is not just a test and a temporary exercise, but a new door that is opening up to a new life full of an infinity of possibilities as I slowly become the person I have always wanted to be. Wherever destiny takes me. 

• Like 1

I'm with Patronick all the way! Africa here I come! I would travel through Kenya/Tanzania, via photo safari, for at least a month. Our stops would include Serengeti and Mt. Kilimanjaro Nat'l Parks in Tanzania and in Kenya, the Great Rift Valley, Nairobi, and Masai Mara reserve. The trip would end with a stay at Treetops Hotel in Aberdare National Park to commune up close and personal with the wildlife.

We would dine on local, fresh fruits and veggies and grass fed meat of all kinds. My focus would be entirely on photography and be having too much of an adventure to even think of cravings and missing certain foods. Wow!

• 1 month later...

A trip I'm looking to put together sometime in the next two years is a big extreme.. I want to ride my bike home (to California, unless Europe distracts me).. from Korea. It's been done, and it's my kind of lovely: camping, physical exertion, exotic foods, and lots of time by myself. Probably also photography and journaling. 

I really have no idea how I'd do this, since even on shorter biking trips, processed foods tend to be a regular feature. 

Ideally I'd love to cook for myself, though depending on the gear you need to cook things, you have to weigh the costs of the extra weight on the bike, and while weight itself isn't necessarily a deal breaker (touring bikes can handles quite a load), space is often at a premium and you can't exactly take a hand blender.

I imagine I'd try to keep it simple, and buy basic and pre-cooked ingredients along the way, and make the most of street food when in more populated areas. I do imagine I would have a basic mess kit and a camping stove, I consider the ability to create fire an essential, as much as being able to source clean water no matter the locale. 

For sake of flexibility though, if you get an invitation to dinner or to camp in someone's yard, one tends to be hungry rather than picky when it comes to food and your body becomes an absolute furnace in terms of burning through food at times like this. Still, I wonder how complaint I would be able to stay, and certainly there are vast stretches of Central Asia that have excellent vegetarian and meat based cuisines.

So far, for me, avoiding soy has been the hardest. (I'm kinda in one of the soy Meccas here in Seoul.)

But it's something to ponder, and something to try out on shorter trips first. I would love to hear about others who've gone the road less traveled with their Whole30/9 philosophy and were able to stick it through. 

• Like 1

1. I'd stay at a eco-friendly ranch, in a lovely log house on a pristine lake, somewhere in the high Rockies in the fall with the aspens in full bloom and the peaks dusted with snow. The house would have numerous windows with gorgeous views. The ranch would have lots of land to roam, and trails just begging me to hike and view wildlife to my heart's content. It would also have a huge garden and some fruit trees.

2. I'd have a personal chef who would come in daily to prepare my meals. My meals would consist mostly of organic Whole30 food grown and raised on the ranch. The food wouldn't be fussy or fancy, but simple and delicious.

3. I'd have fun/exercise riding horses, hiking, exploring, and swimming. At night, I'd look at the stars through a telescope. I'd read and write every day, too. I'd probably have a massage therapist in every day. The fresh air, sunshine, beautiful surroundings, and local healthy food would feed my body and soul, and I would be peaceful and content. (And I'd never want to leave!)

• 2 months later...

I would take my family to Kenya, where I had volunteered several years ago. I would like to spend 3 weeks volunteering and another week split between safari and the beach. I would like my family to experience helping those who have virtually nothing. I would also like them to see that although the people are very poor,they are rich in love and are more happy than most people I know. There your meals are primarily veggies from the garden or some meat raised at the home. Exercise would be a part of our everyday, as we would have to walk everywhere. We would enjoy Mt. Kenya nearby and the beautiful flowers around. We would help at the orphanage, bring the sick medicine, learn to cook Kenyan foods, and enjoy praise and worship with village people. After volunteering we would go on a photo safari viewing lions, giraffes, wildebeest, zebras, monkeys, hippos and much more. Then before heading back to the states, we would spend a few days at the coast of Kenya, on the beach. We would enjoy fresh seafood and snorkeling. The trip would enrich our lives, remind us of the real priorities of life, help us to view the world differently, and we would do all this while eating healthy, exercising daily, experiencing new foods and seeing incredible things.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I love this. I just built my Whole 30 Dream Vacation in my mind and I felt like I was almost there. Since a Whole 30 vacation is not about traveling to get local foods (like pasta from Italy, Navajo tacos from the Midwest USA, or pizza/bagels/cheesecake from NYC), I am focusing my vacation on other factors. It's strange--usually one of the first things I think of when planning a vacation is food, and I plan what restaurants I want to visit. But, with this exercise, I am focusing on other things besides food. How refreshing!

Where I would go: a resort on a beautiful beach, either in the Virgin Islands or Hawaii, with my husband

What I would eat:

--Breakfast would be a huge omelet with lots of veggies and ghee with a side of roasted butternut squash or sweet potato with crio Bru to drink, and possibly some fresh fruit

--Then after about 1-2 hours, I would go on a long run

--I may or may not have a post-WO snack...if I did, it would be lean protein and a starchy veggie

--Lunch would be a protein-packed salad with either salmon, chicken, steak, or some other protein and lots of fresh veggies with 1/2 an avocado and a serving of walnuts with olive oil and balsamic vinegar

--Dinner would be either grilled chicken or fish or a steak with sautéed and perfectly seasoned veggies on the side

--And of course all of this would be cooked for me! Breakfast would be served to my room, where I can eat on the balcony, overlooking the ocean. Lunch would either be served to me on a lounge chair on the beach or at a cafe bistro restaurant, and dinner would be at a nice date night style restaurant where my husband and I can have a romantic date.

What I would focus on:

--Stress Management: I would sleep until I woke up naturally, I would lounge on the beach or by the pool, I would take a nap whenever I pleased, and I would not worry about anything.

--Exercise: I would go on a long run after breakfast, and participate in yoga classes by the beach because of course they would have yoga on the beach in my dreams. :)

--Most importantly, Fun & time with my husband: we would spend quite a large amount of time with each other during the day, but occasionally do our own thing. We would, however, always be together for a romantic date night for dinner every night.

Sigh, a girl can dream...

• 1 month later...