No, Chipotle, NO!!!!

Dagnabbit, I was just checking the Chipotle "special diet information" page and now, as opposed to several weeks ago, ALL meats are listed as having a soy component:

Link here :(

*sobsnifflesob*

I needed a break... I am so upset...

Yep, even the carnitas.  It used to be specifically excluded on the linked grid.  Now it's not :(

I just wanted ONE restaurant I could go to during my lunch hour when I was sick unto death of my own cooking.  One.

No, not yet.  We just got Chipotle in the past couple of years :/  I'm so irked with them -- probably more than I should be, LOL.  Oh well, it'll save me 10 bucks a week at least.

awesome. this means my 22 days of whole30 thus far mean nothing now. I can't believe I didn't check this. I have eaten there about 3 times thinking this would be SAFE. Why is there SOY in everything!?!?!?!?!?!

IT DOES NOT MEAN NOTHING!  You are doing great.  Just accept it as a learning experience (in other words, what was compliant yesterday is not necessarily compliant today) and keep going.  This is a journey.  And you are doing great!

And...I share your pain.  :(

IT DOES NOT MEAN NOTHING!  You are doing great.  Just accept it as a learning experience (in other words, what was compliant yesterday is not necessarily compliant today) and keep going.  This is a journey.  And you are doing great!

And...I share your pain.  :(

Thanks Megmac.. i'm devastated to find this out. I've worked SO hard. I had it at different times, so it's not like i can just add 3 days on to the end. I just had it a few days ago. Surely 3 incidents out of 22 days won't set me back too much. Damn. this was the only place I thought safe to eat.

I know we all try to be 100% compliant, and that's the point of the W30.  But just as big a point is to change our relationship with food.  So don't let food get you down.  You have made amazing changes and that's the point.  Forgive yourself and keep going.  This doesn't change how hard you've worked, and doesn't undo the real successes you are experiencing.  Keep looking forward.  The beauty of the W30 is that you can do it as many times as you want to, and the only real W30 police are in your head.  Each time I do one I get better at it.  I learn from my previous mistakes and they get easier and easier. 

@Aunt B, please don't think you failed or need to start over. You were caught unaware not willfully making a choice to consume soy. If you feel great, then just move forward.

Thank you.. this makes me feel better. I plan on going on as normal, but it still really stinks! Urgh...

I posted about this on the original Chipotle thread a while back.

They are working on switching oils for some things and they are trying hard to please the public, but it doesn't appear as though the changes will help with Whole30.

From the e-mail I received:

"We also appreciate your concern with regards to the oil used in our restaurants. We know that there is plenty of room for improvement and are always looking for ways to make our food better. You may be happy to hear that we are moving in this direction. However, these sorts of changes are difficult to make overnight. While all of our restaurants are using a non-GMO sunflower oil for frying our chips and taco shells, soy oil is still used in many of our restaurants for cooking. We have also switched over to using a non-GMO rice bran oil in Manhattan (and soon some of the neighboring areas) for all other ingredients, aside from the tortillas. There is still a trace amount of soy oil in the Carnitas and Barbacoa in this area though, and we are working to find a solution for this. We are hopeful that all of the soy oil in our restaurants will be replaced with these non-GMO options, but it could take some time to completely make this switch. We definitely appreciate your concern and we hope to have your support as we work towards getting non-GMO oils in all of our restaurants"

I have never heard of Moe's or Freebirds, but does anyone know what kinds of oils and seasoning they use?  As we all have seen, food at Panera and Chipotle appeared innocent, but wasn't or became less so.

We have a Moe's, but I have to admit I find them vastly inferior to Chipotle.  No Freebirds here.

Oh well, it's Day 16 already.  I can make it 2 more weeks.  Perhaps the first thing I add back will be soy rather than dairy...

Here's some info I received from Freebirds via e-mail yesterday regarding their cooking oils and seasoning:

"All meats are grilled without oil and I've listed the marinades below.

Steak: soy sauce, teriyaki sauce, Worcestershire sauce, lime juice, salt, pepper and garlic

Chicken: salt, pepper, and garlic.

Carnitas is: mix of chili powder, garlic, onion, cayenne and cumin."

Do you think I should inquire about what's on the mix of chilli powder?

If you have any Mongolian Grill restuarants in your areas, you could go there (two that I know of, Genghis Grill and BD's Mongolian BBQ). You basically build your own bowl of raw meats/seafood, veggies, seasonings/sauces, grab an egg or two and they cook it up stir-fry style on their big grill.  Basically, you get the meats that aren't marinated in anything (I get chicken and shrimp at Genghis Grill), lots of veggies, some seasonings that I know are safe (curry, garlic, red pepper flakes, etc), skip the sauces and choose the "no starch" option (they're served with starches like fried rice, brown rice, udon noodles, etc).  Ask them to cook your food with no oil and no butter, and you're set!  I take my coconut aminos with me for some extra flavor. Genghis Grill here in Greenville SC uses canola oil, which I guess is *technically* compliant, but I just avoid it altogether. Might want to make sure you pack 1/2 an avocado with you or something for a fat source since you're basically consuming a low fat meal with plain meat, veggies and no oil.  :)  I learned that the hard way last weekend when I was suddenly starving just a few short hours later.

AHHHHH!!!!  That makes me very sad!  My weekly visits to Chipotle are now no longer.. I feel like I've had my heart broken. 

I just wrote them an e-mail begging for them to go back to their old formula for their carnitas, and any other meats to be soyfree..

Well, it was good eating with them while it lasted. 

If you have any Mongolian Grill restuarants in your areas, you could go there (two that I know of, Genghis Grill and BD's Mongolian BBQ). You basically build your own bowl of raw meats/seafood, veggies, seasonings/sauces, grab an egg or two and they cook it up stir-fry style on their big grill.  Basically, you get the meats that aren't marinated in anything (I get chicken and shrimp at Genghis Grill), lots of veggies, some seasonings that I know are safe (curry, garlic, red pepper flakes, etc), skip the sauces and choose the "no starch" option (they're served with starches like fried rice, brown rice, udon noodles, etc).  Ask them to cook your food with no oil and no butter, and you're set!  I take my coconut aminos with me for some extra flavor. Genghis Grill here in Greenville SC uses canola oil, which I guess is *technically* compliant, but I just avoid it altogether. Might want to make sure you pack 1/2 an avocado with you or something for a fat source since you're basically consuming a low fat meal with plain meat, veggies and no oil.  :)  I learned that the hard way last weekend when I was suddenly starving just a few short hours later.

Is this like the Mongolian restaurants that have a big round grill?  I would think that grill would be highly contaminated with soy and grains from all of the other dishes.  When I eat out, I ask for my meal to be grilled plain in a clean pan.  Amazing how good it can taste to simply get back to the basics.  Anyway, I'd worry about just about any grill at this point.  They all seem to be seasoned with soybean oil these days.

Also, the seasonings at my Mongolian place all seem to be suspended in an oil of some sort.  Canola...OK, I guess, but what if it is vegetable (Ie, corn or soy).  Maybe I will call and see what I can learn.  The veggie options are fun and I could add some cashews on top after having it grilled.

So, they're moving to rice bran oil instead of soy b/c of the whole "non-GMO" movement it sounds like.

However, their ingredients list for carnitas still lists the same ingredients (ie, no soybean oil)... so do we trust the ingredients list or the allergen matrix?

So, the e-mail I got does say that soy is being used on the carnitas.  Before, it wasn't put on the grill, but the barbacoa was.  That meant a trace amount in barbacoa.  I am guessing that both are now exposed.

It looks as though there are regional differences.

if you have a Freebirds that seems to be compliant from what i've seen on their website (though not the steak).  before starting W30 i preferred Freebirds over Chipotle simply because of the seasoning they use

This could be dangerous!  There is a Freebirds within walking distance from my work!  Perhaps I will save it for when I complete my Whole30!!

Archived