Support for people starting 6/10/13

Another day in the bag :) can't get rid of the feeling that I'm eating too much? When I'm used to years of cereal for breakfast, sandwich for lunch and a meal in the evening (plus picking and snacks all through the day!) it just seems wrong to have 3 full meals! I know it's the devil on my shoulder, and I'm really trying to block out his voice! But when I start the day with pumpkin cashew coconut curry with stir fried mixed veg it just feels like I'm off to a bad start? I know I'm not and the food is all compliant - but that is the kind of meal I have in the evening! Then for lunch I had a portion of Nom Nom Paleos Bo Kho with wilted spring greens, and then dinner was fillet steak with asparagus and broccoli - 3 main meals! Sorry am I the only one having difficulty getting my head around this?

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I definitely have the feeling I am no longer in a calorie deficit mode!  redjasmin you are right, it takes some getting used to :)  I believe this is one of the reasons for the refresh to the system...who knows what a lifetime (25 years) of calorie deficit has done..I am so excited when I look at the food I am eating and see the rich color and the rich flavor and KNOW that it is nutritious and feeding my very cells with good stuff! Corny, but the god's honest truth :)

I cannot see myself choosing to eat chemicals, additives, processed anything...my brain has wrapped around the benefits of this way of eating and I am already planning another Whole30 to start 1 August.  From day 31 to 1 Aug, will probably eat a bit more Paleo, 80/20, but will NEVER count calories or points again! The idea of eating enough food to not be starving from meal to meal is phenomenal and has added a freedom to my eating that I thought unattainable! So I am all in for healthy eating, even if it seems odd :) Hang in there one and all!!! Great job! ^_^

I could not agree more with redjasmin and hippeechick!  My parents were over for breakfast this morning and they just kept looking at my plate of three eggs, a whole green squash sauteed, and raw 'kraut like are you REALLY going to eat all of that?  And it didn't even include the usual sweet potato b/c those were in the oven roasting, hahahaha!    I LOVE not being hungry and not thinking about food between meals.     

I have to say that even though I've enjoyed every post to this thread, the past week's posts in particular, where several of us found ourselves barraged by the "Meh." virus, have been SO helpful, supportive, and soothing. Generally I try to tough-love myself out of slumps, but this week, it just wasn't happening. Granted, there were a lot of factors contributing to said slump: a possible "extinction burst" (for the past couple of days, I've been getting hungry about two hours after dinner even though I'm getting plenty of food, and last night I came very close to devouring a charantais melon in the fridge at midnight -- but I didn't!); the weather (we had a week-long severe heat warning in my county); a slow week at work; and a few stressful events (like my student loans coming out of deferral).  Once I realized that OH, STOP BEING A BIG BABY AND GET TO WORK, ALREADY wasn't going to work this week, I backed off and told myself "okay, as long as you know it has to happen eventually, it doesn't have to happen today. Just do what you're going to do, but do it without self-medicating with food."

And once again, I've gone way off-point. The point is that I was able to reach this point by reading the stories we're all sharing, and remembering that we are finding our way through new waters. I feel so lucky to be doing this with all of you.

All that said, I will admit that I was a bit on edge yesterday when I remembered that a) it was a holiday in the U.S., B) as a result, my regular Friday farmer's market would not be taking place today, and c) my fresh food stores were down to cabbage, a couple of red peppers, a couple of lettuces, and the same strawberries and leftover char siu I had been eating for three days. I am trying to separate the presence or absence of food from emotional responses to it; after all, that's what led me into food trouble in the first place. But I can't deny that once I learned that my local indie grocery would be open on the Fourth, and once I had some more arugula and berries and tomatoes and ground beef in the fridge, I felt much better. My brain, it is a silly person.  :)

Welcome to Day 26, or wherever you may be! (I'm on Day 28. When I said I was on Day 27 two days ago, I goofed. I was actually on Day 26. Oops.)

Now. This processed crap is supposed to be the easy part for me.  I've been off it and totally disgusted by the chemicals that lie within for a couple years now.  If I eat it I get a headache and feel sick and have this weird crash thing.  My Sugar Dragon is for all the delicious baked goods I make at home (why oh why did I learn to make a perfect tart crust) and so on.    

So I am passing these displays and something starts happening.  I start craving...really craving, sweets.  I skip the canned salmon aisle and headed to the bakery.  THE BAKERY.  WTF.   I spent, kid you not, the next 30 minutes roaming around the store wanting to buy something sweet, eyeing the mini pastry etc.  Picked some up a couple times, put them back.  I finally thought @%!^%$*!  and paid for my purchases and left.  

Once I was back in my car and good music on and on the way back home I was totally fine.  As if nothing ever happened.  As if I wasn't just wild-eyed trying to look calm scanning the sweets in a grocery store a minute ago.  

Sunnymama, that is uncanny. On Tuesday I was at a drugstore (Walgreen's) for the first time since starting Whole30 because I had to renew my monthly bus pass. Normally when I'm in a drugstore, I don't pay attention to my surroundings; I want to get in there, drop off or pick up my prescriptions, maybe get some toothpaste if we're running low, and get back out. This time, though, as I waited in line, I was aware that I was surrounded by candy. Candy that I don't miss, candy that I never ate, or ate once and decided I didn't like it. (Like you, I have a sugar dragon that's more about the baking I used to do than about prefab sweeties.)

And yet, there was just SOMETHING about this Walgreen's -- the lighting, the candy displays, even the smell of the store -- that convinced me that there was something wrong. That I was depriving myself by leaving the store empty-handed, with nothing but a monthly bus pass. And a single candy bar wouldn't cut it. I should be buying a GIANT BAG of something. Like those big barrels of Red Vines. Or my one old candy vice, almond M&Ms. Or a giant Toblerone. I just felt like I should have been buying something.

Of course, I didn't buy anything except my bus pass, because there was still a sliver of consciousness that I did not want to blow the last week of Whole30 on anything, much less on junk. And as soon as I was out of there, all desire for economy size bags o'candy completely evaporated. I was fine for the rest of the day.  It was a pretty powerful reminder of just how much retail space is designed to tap into our brains -- and how readily our brains will play along with them.

I am glad you got out of Wegman's unscathed.  :) My brother and sister-in-law live near a Wegman's in southeastern Pennsylvania, and I understand that it's full of tempting stuff.

I am sooo thankful I forced myself to "plug in" while doing this. I typically do not share myself when I tackle things, I want to keep it close to the vest (fear of failure?) but from the beginning of this journey, I made myself get on and post. I am grateful, for we all have experienced such similar journeys! I, too, have been fighting this little demon that's been sitting on my shoulder saying "c'mon, you're basically done, you've accomplished plenty, it won't hurt to just try something now", or making me REALLY jealous of all the "fun" food I'm missing out on...much of which I didn't eat anyway?!? I've made it through social gatherings, events, date night, holidays, etc.....if that little creep thinks he's gonna get me now, he's got another thing coming! I've experienced WAY too much positive to give in....I've lost significant weight for the first time since my ugly journey started four years ago and I feel the best I've felt in YEARS! A negative experience with hormonal replacement, a total hysterectomy, a diagnosis of Hashimotos disease, failed adrenals, leaky gut and Celiacs disease all worked towards leading me to "It Starts With Food" and the whole30., which has FINALLY given me control over my life again! I'm first off grateful to my God, He is most awesome and truly deserves full credit for teaching me patience, giving me unlimited tenacity and determination while on this very long journey that eventually led me here. I can never take what I've learned for granted!! I cannot wait to have an occasional treat but this lifestyle of eating will remain with me. Hang in there, all of us....those demons will NOT win, we are MUCH stronger than they are!!!

Better day today. Went out for coffee and pastries today and didn't feel deprived for a minute that all I had was a black coffee. It helped that I had had a smorgasbord for breakfast (eggs, fennel, onions, tomatoes (all roasted) and white cabbage / carrot / apple coleslaw with mayo) but I also looked at all the other people in the cafe with their giant lattes and cakes and looked at how overweight and unhealthy they all looked. That helped! Hungry for dinner tonight - attempting courgette noodles again after last time's epic fail. (Roz, do your noodles still finish off quite salty?).

Redjasmine - yes on the not used to eating so much at mealtimes! Thinking I am eating too much fat and protein. We'll see. Wanted to smack my daily email today as it told me again about how wonderful I'm feeling and how I've lost 11 lbs. Uh, no. But persevering anyway. Thanks all for being there when I hit those lows ...

Bakerina - thank you for mentioning "extinction burst" cravings! I'd forgotten all about those! Well, i haven't, they've been really bugging me the last few days, but i'd forgotten they were a thing with a name! That might help!  :rolleyes:

pwmurf - like you, i'm so glad i joined this thread! I'd also initially thought to slip along quietly, then no-one could know if i slipped up. In your face, Sugar Dragons!  :P

Breakfast - kidneys, 2 fried eggs & raw spinach, with a good dollop of my first batch of homemade sauerkraut - delicious, if i say so myself!

Lunch - HUGE pile of pumpkin cashew coconut curry & coconut cauliflower rice. A few cherries after.

Dinner - beef kaldereta & kale, with a few cherries after. Really enjoyed the kale, it's been out of the shops for a while.

Off to smashing stuff with a sledgehammer functional fitness class this evening. Missed it last week, so i can't wait! 

happy day 26!

breakfast: 2 fried eggs over a hash of 1/3 chicken breast, bell pepper, onion, and mushrooms with 1/2 grapefruit

PWO snack: a hard boiled egg and some frozen banana chunks

lunch: probably roasted brussels sprouts/carrots and some chicken and avocado

dinner: steak with eggplant and spicy cauliflower

can't believe we're almost done!

Bakerina I love what you wrote and agree with all of it!  

Are any of you planning to do another Whole 30 after this one?    

Semolina~ Hilarious to me that you wanted to smack the daily email today.  I wanted to in the beginning as the first couple had a huge picture of donuts or cake or something within it and I was like ahhh!  get away!  So I stopped reading the emails.  

Lovely hot sunny day here and my second successful outing with food - again didn't feel deprived with my sparkling water and chicken salad, so all good. I have, however, eaten my body weight in almonds which I don't think is what they mean by "limit". One of the things I really liked when reading the book was the idea that there is no food Switzerland: food is either good for you or it isn't. I'd say that nuts break that great sweeping statement in almost everyone's book: they are good for you but there is always a but ...

Hope everyone is having a good weekend.

Not so good today... didn't sleep very well, partly because i was sore & hyped-up after my functional fitness class, & partly cos it was a bit warm. Went out for lunch today to a local pub.

Breakfast - mince, courgettes & aubergines with sunshine sauce & a few cashew pieces.

Lunch - "mini mixed grill" - this comprised a pork chop, a lamb chop, a lambs liver, a sausage, a grilled tomato, a pineapple ring & a fried egg, & i swapped the chips & peas for a portion of salad. Felt kinda meatlocked after, which for me is saying something. I'm not sure the sausage was the best choice either... hmm. Had really really bad cravings after, along the lines of "well, the sausage probably wasn't compliant, so why not have a big hunk of chocolate cake to finish?". So i went outside for a bit to see what the kids were up to. I went back in when i thought it might be safe, only to find my dad tucking into the exact same cake i'd spotted earlier, a gigantic slice, & saying cheerfully, "You might have to help me with this!". AAARGH!! Back outside  :blink: Amazingly, my OH came to the rescue, saying i probably wouldn't like it anyway & that he'd help finish it (though i could tell my dad didn't believe him for a minute).

Dinner - homemade sausage (i know what's in those!), with some sweet potato & greenery - not sure exactly what yet. Sauerkraut will definitely be involved!

So, my Sensible Head  -_- says i should most definitely add on extra days at the end of this Whole30, or probably go for a Whole45 or more. My cravings are most definitely not under my control! 

Ok, i've gone for Everyday Paleo's Yummy Yam Spears (and they smell amazing!) & some kale on the side. OH has gone out, so i can eat what i like  :)

Bakerina I love what you wrote and agree with all of it!  

Are any of you planning to do another Whole 30 after this one?    

I am! I was going to do a Whole 60 which would take me to my holiday in August, but it's my baby's 1st birthday next Friday, and I want to have a glass of bubbly to celebrate :) that's all - no pig out, but a planned glass of champagne. Then I thought I would start another whole 30 on the Monday - the 30 days will take me all the way to when we go away - it will help me feel good on the beach, and also cement the eating habits. I think by the time my second whole 30 is under my belt, I will feel more at ease with my eating habits, and hopefully be able to carry on while I'm away? I figure hotels always have salad bars and vegetables, and meat and fish? In truth I have felt pretty great throughout this whole 30 - it was amazing how quickly I saw results, I dropped a dress size the first week! I was sleeping soundly and I had more energy. I do worry about reintroduction though? I'm not sure I can overcome temptation just yet? It's been easy during this whole 30, that's why I think I need a other?

^^Staring down chocolate cake is super rough-- nice work!  

Saturday's are generally easy for me as it's farmer's market day and I love looking at all the beautiful produce and buying eggs and meat for the week.  So I'm doing okay today.  I need to change my signature but I don't know what day we're on.   :wacko:   Guess that' s a good thing.  Gonna go check the email and see.   

I am! I was going to do a Whole 60 which would take me to my holiday in August, but it's my baby's 1st birthday next Friday, and I want to have a glass of bubbly to celebrate :) that's all - no pig out, but a planned glass of champagne. Then I thought I would start another whole 30 on the Monday - the 30 days will take me all the way to when we go away - it will help me feel good on the beach, and also cement the eating habits. I think by the time my second whole 30 is under my belt, I will feel more at ease with my eating habits, and hopefully be able to carry on while I'm away? I figure hotels always have salad bars and vegetables, and meat and fish? In truth I have felt pretty great throughout this whole 30 - it was amazing how quickly I saw results, I dropped a dress size the first week! I was sleeping soundly and I had more energy. I do worry about reintroduction though? I'm not sure I can overcome temptation just yet? It's been easy during this whole 30, that's why I think I need a other?

Same here.  I feel like I've made a lot of fragile progress and am not done with the SugarDragon.  In fact I don't find the rules restrictive I find them to be a lifesaver.  

That's so great about the dress size- enjoy the bubbly you earned it!  

Well, i've slept on it & decided that after yesterday's sausage incident (!!) i'm going to keep on keeping on! I can't get my head to accept an actual "restart", that makes me want to "just take a few days off" & i know where that'd lead! So a carry-on instead, until the beginning of August. :-)

Still compliant here.  Beginning to fine-tune my goals for this next Whole30, some food related (learn to eat salmon), some activity related. 

Had blackberries on Friday and all of Saturday felt bloated and swollen, better today.  That may have been the heat or it may have been the fruit.  I have been avoiding all except avocado and pineapple in my green drink (with breakfast not a replacement).  It gave me pause and I think I'll just continue on without any fruit other than the aforementioned avocado and pineapple.  And that's fine as I am also loving being so veggie-heavy.  This feels right.

Started taking Turmeric last week after two meals a day and it may or may not be that but my skin is cooling greatly.     It had been looking much better with improved nutrition but I am very prone to rosacea flare ups (too hot, too cold, get excited, get stressed, and so on) so I still had minor redness.  Very very calm the last few days, even with this gross heat.  Whatever the cause, I'll take it!  

Seeking a decent organic coffee or coffee alternative that is not Bulletproof coffee.  Cannot bring myself to pay that much and def do not want to get into the whole adding butter and coconut fat to it because even if it's as good as so many say, I fear it would trigger a dessert mentality in me.  Anyone have a source for quality tea or other alternatives?      

Other than that I am just taking it day by day still.  I feel like my meals are HUGE compared to all of yours but they are very much compliant and I guess that's what my body needs.  I have a LOT of weight to lose so it could very well be that I eat less later...trying to to worry or even think about that, one day, one Whole30 at a time!  

Hope y'all have a great week!  

Sunnymama, i had a look at your blog yesterday, your meals don't look that big to me! My mum was outraged at me on a recent visit, my OH had dished up the food & mum asked "Which one's for you?" & i just shrugged & said I'd no idea. "What?!" she exclaimed "You can't tell which meal's for you??!", cos in her world men get bigger portions. I'd forgotten that bit, lol :-)

Gah! We're nearly done and I'm not ready for that! Think I will do another one with some variations: no nuts, no mayo, and eat more sweet potatoes. (That might be affecting my energy levels?) but I'm not ready to go straight into it - want to see how I do without it first (and therefore what I need to plan for next time!). Also my girls are 4 on the 11th July and whilst I don't think I'll be diving into cake I don't want to beat myself up if I lick my fingers whilst baking or icing. Sometimes feel all superior and confident and then from nowhere I think of something that I would love to have: today, a lime margarita. Sunny - you should see the size of my plates! A good day out again today: took a huge coleslaw and some roast pork for a picnic in this stunning weather we're having. Just grateful my kiddos will sleep with a fan on in their rooms now! Mostly veggies but it's a LOT of food. Anyway, must go do some potatoes for everyone else's tea!

Well. Today is Day 30 for me. So far, I've just had breakfast (2 hard-boiled eggs, a red bell pepper cut into strips, plenty of mayonnaise to dip everything into) and am meal-planning for the coming week, but I can't deny that I'm a little apprehensive over what's to come next. I'm not mad keen to reintroduce anything, but I'm afraid that if I don't try, I'll end up in that place where I go out for tapas with friends, get sick the next day, and won't know if it was the cheese, the bread, the beans, or the alcohol, so I guess I should suss that out first.

I hope you are all doing well in your own home stretches! (Roz, that anecdote about the size of your plate made me laugh hard enough to alarm the cat.)

Day nearly done & none too bad  :)

Breakfast - homemade sausage with 2 duck eggs scrambled in ghee with spinach, some sauerkraut. Simple & really tasty!

Lunch - had the in-laws over for lunch, so roast chicken legs with orange & rosemary, roast sweet potato, purple-sprouting broccoli (& some spuds for everyone else!). Had a bit of sauerkraut too. Then some cherries after while everyone else had steamed puddings & custard. Not tempted in the least (i don't like custard. Or steamed puddings  :lol: Plus it's meltingly hot!)

Snack - a few queen green olives & a few spoonfuls of homemade coconut concrete butter (i made it with dessicated cocout, not shredded, so it gives you an upper body workout as you chisel it out of the jar)

Dinner - pumpkin coconut cashew curry & coconut cauliflower rice

My MIL brought round a box of salted microwaveable popcorn today "for the kids" (cos obviously i'm depriving them by just making it plain in our own popcorn maker  :angry: ) & i kinda fancy eating that. But not anytime soon!

Archived