Support for people starting 6/10/13

Day 17 down....took my lunch with me while put shopping with friends. Ended up at a restaurant where I could get a basic salad and I put my own turkey and guacamole on it. Snacking on some almond butter before bed. Didn't have much dinner and too ready for bed. More planning and prepping tomorrow but its definitely beginning to feel 2nd nature.

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I roasted jicama last night and it was so delicious.  I highly recommend everyone trying - it is a great substitute for potatoes.  I had some for breakfast with sausage (no sugar included!) and some leftover Well Fed chocolate chili.  Think it would work really well with eggs too! 

Day ?? nearly done & just as well... my son (4.5) woke during the night so i was up with him for half an hour or so, then struggled to get back to sleep & then he woke up pretty early too, so i was a tired & grumpy mummy most of the day, dealing with a tired & hyperactive/screamingly cross little boy. Sigh...

Breakfast - same as yesterday but with more spices, including ground chipotle, & a splodge of homemade ketchup. Infinitely better! Had a few cherries after.

Lunch - same as yesterday again. Ate a couple of dried figs as a chaser, didn't really enjoy those.

Snack - 2 baked eggs - no spinach left, so just eggs, ghee, paprika & black pepper. Still yummy.

Dinner - (still to come) lemon rosemary trout, mashed cauliflower & probably carrots.

I'm generally hungry & cross & a bit KillAllTheThings-ish... Still, i have yoga tomorrow morning (relaaaax) & bootcamp in the evening (SMASH), so i should feel better by the weekend!  :)

Day 20, done and done. Normally I would be all pleased and stuff, but I'm feeling kind of subdued because I had my first Paleo cookery fail. Dinner was leftover chocolate chili from Well Fed, and of course that was lovely, but we still needed a veg dish or two, and I had the bright idea to make kale braised in coconut milk. Unfortunately, the coconut milk was reduced fat -- I just grabbed it off the shelf and never noticed it was reduced fat until tonight -- and the kale was past its use-by date, although I didn't know this when I pulled it from the fridge (it still looked okay). My husband, who has never said "no" to anything I've cooked in our 21 years together, took one bite, put his fork down, and announced "no, no, no, no, no. I'm not eating that." I took a taste and had the exact same reaction. Into the garbage it went. 

Ah, well. The chili was still lovely. And there were a few apricots left in the fridge. (I know we're not supposed to let fruit crowd veg off our plates, but the thought of another round of veg cookery on a hot night was just completely draining.) And tomorrow is farmer's market day outside of my office. Tomorrow is Day 21, and I'm pretty sure I can do this.  :)

Goodbye Day 18! Starting to feel slightly worried about after this is over and how I prevent myself from returning to old habits (I.e. sugar). Trying to form a plan that makes sense. Prepped a lot of meat to get me thu any rough spots in the weekend. :)

I'm also slightly worried about "riding my own bike" when this is over.  I feel like I'm doing well now, not having a lot of trouble sticking with the program.  I've done this before, though, and fell off the wagon pretty quickly after the 30 days.  I just finished reading the article about "DJ" on the Whole 9.  It had some good tips for us all or nothing folks!! 

Day 19 - really, 19? - done  :)

Breakfast - mince, roasted butternut squash/pumpkin & coconut milk (this was so delicious the first time i made it, but today it was just a bit yeuch. Not sure why)

Lunch - mince, sweet potato noodles & roasted aubergine & courgette, with some balsamic vinegar. A few cherries after

Dinner - (coming soon!) spiced pork with roasted butternut squash

Had a proper cooking afternoon today - made sweet potato hummus, jerk chilli chicken & mango salsa (for breakfast/lunch over the next few days!), bread for the next-door neighbour, & minced up some lamb (not very successfully) in the meat grinder & mixed it into sausage mix. Had so much faff trying to get the stuff through my hand-cranked grinder i'm thinking i will just make American style sausage patties instead of stuffing it into casings. Still, it gave me a good upper body workout  :P

I'm also slightly worried about "riding my own bike" when this is over.  I feel like I'm doing well now, not having a lot of trouble sticking with the program.  I've done this before, though, and fell off the wagon pretty quickly after the 30 days.  I just finished reading the article about "DJ" on the Whole 9.  It had some good tips for us all or nothing folks!! 

I'm the exact same, i completed a Whole30 back in January, but the Chocolate Dragon (Sugar Dragon's sister-in-law) was just lying in wait the minute i finished  :ph34r: That's why this time i'm trying not to count the days too rigidly (a countdown suggests there's an end to the "diet"). I'm off to read the article right now!

Just a quickie - the Internet is up for the first time in days - made courgette noodles that were uneatably salty despite me rinsing them, and today I overate nuts big time - but still theoretically on track I guess. Keep fingers crossed I have connectivity tomorrow - it's really doing my head in not having the interweb!

Goodbye Day 19! Woot! On the downhill! Can't wait for day 31, I would like my vegan protein smoothie back and perhaps a little popcorn at the movies! Going to keep that sugar demon as far away as possible! Going to try to remain very steady on course with a treat now and then...going to gauge my reaction to dairy and corn first, tho!

Hi all,  still trucking along with Day 17 finishing here...Working Night shift and just had a great chocolate chili and cole slaw (homemade Mayo) "lunch" with Chicken Curry later with sauteed greens and sweet potatoes for dinner! Yum!

I appreciate the discussion about post-W30 living.  I think the easiest way is to decide what is worth it to veer off the path.  I have been amazed at the effect food has when there have been any variances in my eating.  Headaches, drowsy and just general malaise... Pre my Whole30 I had started following Paleo and found the 80/20 idea to be a livable long term plan (~3 meals a week- Cordain in The Paleo Diet).  My thoughts are to treat my Whole30 time periods as strict and highly effective to break addictions and clean out the system in a healthy way and the inbetween times as Whole30/Paleo with planned and chosen variances.

Bottom-line is that I don't see Dairy, Grains, or Soy making their way back in to my normal eating, and definitely going to monitor sugar carefully.  We know too much to fall back into the processed food trap and I can't imagine eating fast food.  Just my thoughts...

As a lifetime dieter, I am excited to have freedom of strict recording and calculating and still feeling good,,,even better than ever! Hitting 48 in October and excited that I ahve finally found a philosophy and nutrition plan that makes me feel so good!

Enough preaching from me :)  I am a true believer!  Sorry for the rant!!! Everybody take care and continue to slay the dragon!!! ^_^

Yay for a successful day 19!

Breakfast: andouille sausage, an over easy egg, 1/2 an orange, 1/2 avocado, 1 carrot (I was in a picnicky mood)

Snack: 2 spoonfuls of almond butter

Lunch: zucchini noodles with lots and lots of meat sauce

Dinner: leftover pumpkin coconut cashew chicken curry

My energy has been super low lately...not really sure why. But after I got off work I wasn't tired so I went for an impromptu 10pm gym visit and did a 30 min HIIT workout which made me feel tiger blood-ish afterwards  :P

Yay for a successful day 19!

Breakfast: andouille sausage, an over easy egg, 1/2 an orange, 1/2 avocado, 1 carrot (I was in a picnicky mood)

Snack: 2 spoonfuls of almond butter

Lunch: zucchini noodles with lots and lots of meat sauce

Dinner: leftover pumpkin coconut cashew chicken curry

My energy has been super low lately...not really sure why. But after I got off work I wasn't tired so I went for an impromptu 10pm gym visit and did a 30 min HIIT workout which made me feel tiger blood-ish afterwards  :P

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Try adding more vegetables, especially at breakfast. You want to shoot for 1-2 cups per meal.

Also, for snacks, they should be a mini-meal, including a protein and fat. Avoid using nuts alone, fruit alone or veggies alone.

Another day in the bag  :)

Breakfast - homemade lamb sausage, 2 fried eggs & some curried sweet potato mashed up & refried (think latke!). A few cherries after.

Lunch - jerk chicken chilli & mango salsa, with a few strawberries after (to prove (unsuccessfully) to my 5 year old daughter that they were "delicious". Sigh. At least she tried a bite!)

Snack - sweet potato hummus with crispy bacon bits, with carrot & celery sticks (yummy, but i really could have sat down & noshed the whole lot  :unsure: That's the first time i've really felt like bingeing since i started, so i'll have to watch that one!)

Dinner - (going to start cooking soon!) pumpkin cashew coconut curry & cauliflower rice

Been idly contemplating post-Whole30 today. I think i'll avoid an "official" reintroduction schedule, as it really didn't work for me last time mentally. But things i have missed - being able to use a bit of honey or maple syrup in savoury dishes (like with chicken), or wine in a casserole would be nice! Maybe the occasional bit of cheese. I'm trying not to think about ch***late  :ph34r:

Well not a very successful day for me :/

Breakfast; chicken with avocado, tomato and basil salad with olive oil and balsamic vinegar

Lunch was a bit of a disaster! Walked dogs too far and by the time I got home the baby was starving and we needed to leave for the cinema - grabbed some cold chicken from the fridge, with salad, avocado and beetroot - wasn't enough protein or fat!

Came home from cinema ravenous and after eating my cold chicken for lunch (which is my emergency snack protein) so ate nuts :(

Dinner Indian chicken curry, with cauliflower pilaf.

None of the meals felt that rich and satisfying and the sugar dragon has been my constant companion today!

Still I didn't give in - other than the nuts. Another day in the bag.

Still compliant here, adding more greens into each meal this past week.  I've seen it referred to here as Big Ass Salads and I have had many.  They are really good, refreshing too in the summer heat.  Love tons of chopped veggies in mine and am glad I upgraded my food processor last year as this is an enormous time-saver.   B)   I've been tossing my BAS's in a little lemon juice and olive oil but don't LOVE that, so may search the forums for what folks are liking dressing wise for cold greens.  

Also, I'm beginning to think post-day 30 as it looks like some of you are too.  I think I'll do another one.  The Sugar Dragon has been with me this entire time and while I feel a thousand percent more in control I can tell this is gonna take a while and more than 30 days for me.  There is also this side of me that thinks if I feel this good after one Whole20 as of this writing, what must a Whole60 feel like?  So I think that's where I'm headed.  

Hope everyone is having a beautiful weekend! 

Where is this article?  Thanks in advance!  

sunnymama,  I like to take the basic oil and vinegar and mix it with homemade mayo...It gives it a creaminess and seems to spread through the salad better...Just a thought :)  Also, flavored vinegars if you can find them (pomegranate = favorite) really spice up the dressing too! Rice wine vinegar another good choice...

Sounds like everyone is making good choices in the light of reality! THat is the best we can do and we should be proud of good choices and stop beating ourselves up!!! We have come so far!!! Great work everyone!!! Hang in there! :D

Sunnymama - the article about post-Whole30 is on the Whole9life homepage, one of the "Dear Melissa" letters. In a nutshell, if you're worried about going wild (!), why not write yourself some post-Whole30 rules - e.g. I will allow myself 1/2/5 off-plan items a week, or i will allow myself to eat what i like on holiday, but only one helping & will go back on plan when i get home - that kind of stuff.

End of week 3...!

Breakfast - homemade sausage, sweet potato & 2 fried eggs, with some sauerkraut

Lunch - jerk chilli chicken & mango salsa

Snack - sweet potato hummus with bacon bits & celery sticks. Had a tin of cod roes with it today & felt better!

Dinner - larb gai with Thai cucumber salad & sweet potatoes  :wub:

Seem to have eaten a lot of sweet potato today! Just noticed...

Last week, wow, I cannot believe it! I am soooo stinking proud of myself and everyone else here who stuck it out! I think I've successfully manage the challenges in just about any situation. I've learned I have a super support system in my family and friends...my husband is the most awesome and they all scooted me by those tempting situations more than once. My husband and I took an impromptu night without kids on saturday to enjoy a night at a hotel and an outstanding dinner.....I STILL stayed compliant.... Grilled filet, spinach in olive oil, grilled asparagus and club soda with lime....fresh fruit for dessert.....I was satisfied and content. Yes, I would have enjoyed wine tremendously...but I'll do that next time....with the same meal! You CAN enjoy your life, make good choices for you body and still have a fabulous time....minus the 30 trips to the bathroom!!! I love all the info regarding after....I've begun to formulate a plan that I feel will work for me. For a bit, due to allergies, I will be pretty specific with my off road items to test them (dairy, corn, etc) , but I don't think I will change the foundation of whole 30. I'd like to keep the sugar at bay, for sure. Confident now I can go to a movie without a large pop and buttered popcorn and candy, eat a good meal at a restaurant and tackle 12+ hrs at a ballpark!

Day 22! Amazing. Not sure what I'll do after: feels like no weight change here, and no strides forward in getting rid of TATT. However, happier with my food choices generally, just wishing I was rid of late afternoon snacking (didn't eat enough protein or fat at lunch today it appears ...) as it still feels a little out of control (better, but not where I want it to be). Also wondering when DH will rebel. Still, I guess I'm planning on just keeping going.

Been good to read all your posts - still having connectivity issues here but I'm cheering for everyone's successes!

Yay, day 22 done!

Breakfast - lamb mince, courgette & aubergine, sweet potato noodles, some pine nuts & balsamic vinegar

Lunch - jerk chicken chilli, leftover coconut cauliflower rice, spinach & a bit of crispy bacon

Dinner - Moroccan meatballs & courgette noodles, 2 kiwi fruit after

Not sure what's been up today, i've had the munchies all afternoon. I slept ok & thought i'd had plenty at lunch, but spent a good hour or so cursing this whole Whole30 thing & it's general disapproval of biscuits  :rolleyes:

Archived