Support for people starting 6/10/13

Ooh I thought it was just me that had the munchies today? I had breakfast at 5am and lunch at 11.30 :/ so maybe should have planned my meals better. Dinner is the beef and cinnamon stew with gremolata from Well Fed, bubbling away as we speak - just not sure what to serve with? Broccoli?

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Still chugging along, but I'm not feeling any better than I was the second week. I'm tired and grouchy. I'm not sure if I'm having a delayed carb flu, plus I'm not losing any weight (I can tell, my clothes are still tight). I'm sort of frustrated with the results of this Whole30. I'm following plan (need to work on the sleep) but maybe I'm having too much Kombucha (2 bottles/day).

Seriously grumpy and thinking why did I do this when I'm not feeling any better. I'm almost too tired to work out which is weird because I was all about crossfitting and running BEFORE I started.

I was eating about 70% paleo before I started, and felt better.

Thoughts? Advice? Only one more week...but not sure if I want to keep going.

Niki - totally know where you are. Hang in there - you've done the best part of it, it's only a few more days and you will then at least be able to say you did it. There's also a lot of stuff out there saying lots of people only really feel it right at the end: so hang in there. Even if it never totally delivers for you, don't give up now after all this work.

I totally agree with Semolina, even with the echo :-P

Don't give up now, it's only another week. 30 days isn't much time to completely reverse a lifetime of lesser food choices. I'm reading about Metabolic Typing at the moment - some people are Protein types & do well on high fat, high protein foods, while others are Carbohydrate types & do better on the opposite. I reckon that explains why some folk have an amazing whole30 & others are just meh, or feel worse. Interesting stuff!

Feel like I've been run over by a truck today, and I even had a full night's sleep last night. Very delayed carb flu? On the plus side, I actually stopped eating lunch (salmon cakes with coleslaw and mayo) because I was full, which has never ever happened to me before.

Not sure I buy metabolic typing (not that I know that much about it): I came to this via trying to generally stabilise blood sugars and it strikes me that a high carb diet can't be good for anyone ... Though there's an argument to be had about the amount of fat I'm eating at the moment! That'll be why I haven't lost weight - though given I know my blood lipids were off the chart low before I started and I have/had big carb issues, I'm not too worried just at the mo.

Still chugging along, but I'm not feeling any better than I was the second week. I'm tired and grouchy. I'm not sure if I'm having a delayed carb flu, plus I'm not losing any weight (I can tell, my clothes are still tight). I'm sort of frustrated with the results of this Whole30. I'm following plan (need to work on the sleep) but maybe I'm having too much Kombucha (2 bottles/day).

Seriously grumpy and thinking why did I do this when I'm not feeling any better. I'm almost too tired to work out which is weird because I was all about crossfitting and running BEFORE I started.

I was eating about 70% paleo before I started, and felt better.

Thoughts? Advice? Only one more week...but not sure if I want to keep going.

2 Bottles of Kombucha a day is a lot. I'm assuming they are the GT bottles which are already 2 servings each. Getting enough sleep is a huge part of weight loss so that could be part of it. Are you getting enough starchy vegetables? What is your plain water intake like? Do you have a food log?

Not such a successful day today...  :rolleyes:

Breakfast - leftover larb gai with cucumber salad & sweet potatoes

Lunch - jerk chicken chilli (the last portion, woohoo!! I mean it was nice, but i'm very glad to see the back of it  :P ) with spinach & extra bacon. Had a few strawberries after & a couple of spoons of homemade coconut "butter" (more like gravel)

Snack - small bag of dried fruit (mixed raisins & cherries) - yes, i know, i know, feeding the dragon & all that. I really wish i could say it was horribly sweet & i didn't enjoy it, but it was lovely  :ph34r: Felt quite sleepy an hour or so later though!

Dinner - lemon & herb chicken, with spring greens & "candied" carrots & kohlrabi (i.e. roasted in the oven with a couple of chopped dates)

I think one of the reasons i caved in to the bag of raisins was that the supermarket we were in didn't have several of the items i'd gone in to buy. So i went shopping again, before i cooked dinner, & bought the things i was craving - which turned out to be lambs kidneys & eggs  :D I'll take that as a step in the right direction (plus i can't wait til breakfast!)

Kickboxing this evening, then a morning of cookery action tomorrow!

Checking in, so much is the same for me here on Day 23 as it's been for most of the Whole30 (which is totally fine just my way of acknowledging I prob sound like a broken record or sumthin' :P ) 

• Still compliant and think this is a luxurious and delicious way to eat and one I plan to continue.  
  • Still eating a protein, some other veggies (usually something green squash or cold greens etc), and a sweet potato for each meal.   
  • Still battling the mighty sugar dragon at odd, sudden times BUT not after meals as in dessert trigger at night is totally gone, so hey, that's progress.        
  • Feel better mentally and physically. 
  • Weight loss?  Maybe a couple pounds, clothes fit better and I just feel lighter and less...swollen.  I'll need to focus on weight loss more next month, for now just getting the food right.   

I once saw a middle school principal give a talk about change and habits.  Everyone has their different criteria I guess but he said it takes one month of change for every year that old/bad habit has been in place.  That has always stuck with me and when I look back on two major changes in my life, divorce and quitting smoking, it really rings true.  

Bringing his theory up here because it helps me, the ultimate impatient person, remember I am in this for the long haul.  It's overwhelming to look TOO far ahead, but it helps me keep in mind that for example, I want to slay my dragon for REAL, not just a few weeks.  I want to work my way back to HEALTHY not skinny.  I want to eat food for fuel and enjoy it not because of some emotional issue.  

So no, I'm not seeing some miraculous changes but I see the start of some. I see a plan, a way forward, and that matters.   Last,  I can't help but think how lucky I was to have stumbled across this and all of you!          

Less than a week left. Although that's not really accurate since I plan on continuing this way of eating while enjoying a cocktail here and there. I am going to bring back my protein smoothie after workout..it's with vegan protein powder, frozen fruit, spinach or kale and almond milk. Should still be very compatible to the program but didn't qualify for the whole30. I really love my morning routine of sweet potato, meat sautéed in coconut oil with cinnamon and red pepper flakes (strange but good!)and frozen blueberries and black coffee blended with coconut oil. We just bought a 1/4 grass fed cow and 1/2 hog...going to be set up well in the meat department! I am going to have a very small dish of frozen yogurt on july 11th!!

Still really low on energy despite sleeping and eating well. Have had cravings for diet coke today, along with a whole day of "what's the point" ... And totally uninspired by the food. Had duck salad last night which was a pre W30 fave and it was a chore to eat it. Been hungry today but not wanted to eat anything. Will carry on, and almost certainly beyond 11th July but having a rubbish day here. Recipes with curry powder - WHY? Curry powder is nasty! (IMO!)

Still really low on energy despite sleeping and eating well. Have had cravings for diet coke today, along with a whole day of "what's the point" ... And totally uninspired by the food. Had duck salad last night which was a pre W30 fave and it was a chore to eat it. Been hungry today but not wanted to eat anything. Will carry on, and almost certainly beyond 11th July but having a rubbish day here. Recipes with curry powder - WHY? Curry powder is nasty! (IMO!)

Oh, me too! So tired today! I also had an attack of "What's the point" this morning, i feel like the feeling good bit evaporated sometime last week  :( Funnily enough, for all that this is meant to be Not About Weight Loss, it was the thought of weight loss that gave me a reason to continue! I know if i just throw in the towel & dive headfirst back into the Dairy Milk then obviously i'll carry on being a bit fat & generally unhappy with my appearance. Heigh-ho.

Breakfast - 2 fried eggs, 3 lambs kidneys, spring greens & sauerkraut (the kidneys weren't as nice as i'd hoped)

Lunch - courgette noodles, mangetouts, chicken, sunshine sauce & cashew pieces

Snack - homemade pork rinds (mmm...)

Dinner - pork, apple & fennel meatballs, cumin-roasted carrots, spring greens & sauerkraut

Just realised i haven't actually craved anything sweet today at all. Maybe it's not been such a bad day!  :D

Wow. The "Meh." virus must be going around! I'm on Day 27, and if I didn't know better, I'd think I was still on Day 3 or 4. Small headache when I woke up this morning. Struggle getting through my workout. Filled up on a lot of raw vegetables (with accompanying protein and fat, of course) because I just couldn't be bothered to figure out what I wanted to cook. Terrible trouble focusing on work for the rest of the day. Fortunately, I have a plan for dinner tonight (the salmon cakes from ISWF, plus a whopping large salad and/or coleslaw), and I have a good feeling that tomorrow I'll be my well-focused, happy-to-be-cooking self again. But today...oy, today!

I hope *everybody* feels better tomorrow. Hang in there.

Hi all,

I agree that for no known reason the "Meh" virus sneaks in! But, to be honest, it always has! I am, and I suspect we all are, more sensitive to it because we are in the midst of this W30 thing! I KNOW in the past I have attempted to handle those days and those warblings with food! Crappy food and crappy aftermath!  I think we should all be proud that during this W30 we turned to seomthing way more nourishing to spirit and gut then in the past! I am!

I am on day 22 today and although it has been a mixed bag, the overall improvements, well stated by "sunnymama" above--less swollen, more stable bodily speaking...skin is glowing...workouts strong! Sleep out-of-this-world and more...I will definitely continue on with the principalsand only with chosen deviations...I am in this for the long haul and really thank paleo and W30/9 for coming into my life! And to you all who make me feel like I am not alone on this journey! thanks all!!! Hang in there! :wub:

I am properly connected again! Woo-hoo! Life instantly looks better. Bit low on food in the house which doesn't help, but I'll whip up some mayo tonight and I've roasted some fennel, onions and tomatoes this morning so all is not lost. I have my first meals out this weekend so hope that doesn't prove too tricky. Still tired but hanging in there. Interesting that so many of us have a case of the mehs!

Holy CLOSE CALL.  Went to grocery store last night to get some manuka honey (not to eat- I use it as facial cleanser) and some produce for the long weekend.  All good, right?

Then decided I wanted to take a look at canned salmon as it's something I want to learn to eat a few times a week.  As I wandered looking for the right aisle (Wegmans is huge) and then criss-crossed back to the organic section thinking there might be better and BPA free options there, I pass display after display of s'mores ingredients and all this other crap.  

Now. This processed crap is supposed to be the easy part for me.  I've been off it and totally disgusted by the chemicals that lie within for a couple years now.  If I eat it I get a headache and feel sick and have this weird crash thing.  My Sugar Dragon is for all the delicious baked goods I make at home (why oh why did I learn to make a perfect tart crust) and so on.    

So I am passing these displays and something starts happening.  I start craving...really craving, sweets.  I skip the canned salmon aisle and headed to the bakery.  THE BAKERY.  WTF.   I spent, kid you not, the next 30 minutes roaming around the store wanting to buy something sweet, eyeing the mini pastry etc.  Picked some up a couple times, put them back.  I finally thought @%!^%$*!  and paid for my purchases and left.  

Once I was back in my car and good music on and on the way back home I was totally fine.  As if nothing ever happened.  As if I wasn't just wild-eyed trying to look calm scanning the sweets in a grocery store a minute ago.    

Realizing I must sound a little looney, this is the reality for the long time sugar addicts and/or emotional eaters isn't it?  Fine, I'm still game.  My takeaways from this:

• I think some of the trigger was being in the "aisle" part whereas I am usually in produce or meat sections or at the the farmers market.
  • My calendar of "X''s (which coincidentally is a Just Say No to Drugs calendar one of my kids brought home from school)--proved powerful as I don't want to break my chain of X's.  (I "X" each day I am compliant)
  • I am definitely on for another Whole30 after this one.      

Thanks for letting me tell you about my crazy.   Hope everyone has a beautiful Independence Day.    

Sunnymama - wow. Well done you. One of the things that drew me to the W30 was the idea I might stop wanting all the other stuff. Another day here of not wanting to make or eat what's for dinner, and feeling super tired. Diet coke, sugar and eating lovely fresh food I used to make all calling my name. Remind me again why I'm doing this? Still feel I'm going to finish W30 because I'm stubborn, but don't really know why.

Sunnymama - wow. Well done you. One of the things that drew me to the W30 was the idea I might stop wanting all the other stuff. Another day here of not wanting to make or eat what's for dinner, and feeling super tired. Diet coke, sugar and eating lovely fresh food I used to make all calling my name. Remind me again why I'm doing this? Still feel I'm going to finish W30 because I'm stubborn, but don't really know why. 

I get it, am tired too!    

You sound disheartened- can we help?  

Honestly I know soda/coke/whatever is one of the worst for you and one of the hardest for people to quit because of what's in it.  You have my total sympathy on this.  I have all these weird things that keep me in line and one of them is I am not going to pay companies like Coca-Cola to poison me.  They are crack dealers in my mind.  I work hard and to pay my earnings to someone in exchange for poison just isn't okay.  And there are a millionother reasons.  

Hope you have an okay day and that you have a support system around!     

Plus 1 on the tired front! Though better than yesterday... I keep being woken up by one or other of my horrible lovely cats at around 4am (birds tweeting i guess) & then although i'm getting back to sleep, it's not very deep sleep. Sigh. Should get better as sunrise gets later  :huh:

Breakfast - lambs kidneys, fried egg & raw spinach, with sauerkraut. Better than yesterday!

Lunch - pumpkin cashew coconut curry & coconut cauliflower rice. 

Snack - sweet potato hummus with cucumber sticks & a couple of pork & apple meatballs. A few cherries.

Dinner - chicken with butternut squash & figs, with some cabbage i think. 

Buoyed by the success of my homemade sauerkraut efforts (fermenting nicely!) & after reading some of Nourishing Traditions last night (i ended up dreaming about Mason jars!!), today i made a jar of salsa, now fermenting in the kitchen.

Looking forward to another early night...  -_-

Archived