Upcoming Vacation - delayed start....

I am so excited for this forum. I have been Paleo since January but have difficulty with consistency especially on weekends. I can see such a difference in my mind and body when I string together several weeks of no grain/no sugar/no significant dairy. I am eager to jump in and start this challenge - I have yet to make it 30 full days and I really want participate to see the changes it will bring mentally and physically as well as to rise to the challenge. In the past I have been too easy on myself and I rationalize indulgences and then feel terrible afterward - especially when I realize it was not really that great to begin with. My biggest challenges are sweets and wine.

That said, I am leaving for a trip with girlfriends next week and I know there will be much eating and drinking involved. I do not want to start the 30 day challenge now because there is no reasonable way for me to stay on track in that environment - I know I would be setting myself up for failure. However, I am so anxious to get going but in the meantime have this last supper mentality i.e. can't stop eating crap - which I haven't really been doing since January. AArrghhhh! Evreryday I start out committing to at least eat clean Paleo and then I don't make it past lunch before I am giving in and rationalizing.

I don't know if my post is even appropriate since I am not doing Whole30 right now but any advice on how to get through this without gaining 10 lbs. or being so frustrated that I want to scream (and eat more chocolate) would be much appreciated!

I am officially committng to Whole 30 the day I return on April 26th.

I think the approach depends on your personality. You could either (a) just eat pretty darn clean between now and then - not technically Whole30, perhaps, but close to it - and then start the program fresh when you return from your trip. Or, if the lack of formal rules means you'll have a hard time cleaning it up to "squeaky clean", start the Whole30 now, take a break during vacation, and complete another 30 days when you return.

Doing just a few days of Whole30 eating will make you a lot less likely to want to go off the rails in a major fashion on vacation, and may help you eat really well while you're away, with the exception of those few "totally worth it" treats. Sounds like after three months of "last supper" mentality, you may need the structure of the W30 before your vacation!

Thanks Melissa for yor response - your idea to just start, pause and re-start is brilliant. For some reason, my all-or-nothing thinking kicks in and I think that if I can't be perfect I shouldn't try at all. Intelectuallly I know that thinking is flawed but that does not always resonate. I am motivated to jump in and get a few great days under my belt and do my best while on vacation. I feel like I will be able to manage the food without too many problems, I was more worried about the couple of glasses of wine I will surely indulge in with my friends. I will take your suggestions and save my off plan eating/drinking for those "must have - not to be missed" indulgences. Last, as a side note, I have only been battling the last supper mentality ofr the past week, not past three months but it is amazing how quickly that leads to low mood and energy and snowballs from days into a week.

Thanks again for your suggestions!

• 1 year later...

This topic is great... I'm getting frustrated because I'm home and in between meals want to snack. I'm trying to stay away from snacking but found myself with a jar of cashew butter and several spoonfulls.... I had to throw it away and won't buy more.

My questions is: how bad are nut butters and how much is too much? Could nut butter fat significantly decrease my results on Whole 30? I'm on day 17...

Morning: breakfast hash: chopped grassfed/finished ground beef, brussels sprouts, granny smith apple, onions and eggs.

Lunch: spinach, chicken, veggies and red wine vinegar

dinner: spaghetti squash and meatballs.

I try to eat half an avocado with my meals.

Help, I feel like I'm working so hard and not seeing results like I did the first week. Is it because I ate too many hazelnuts and cashew butter???

Courtney

Courtney -

many people find that nuts and nut butters are irritating to their digestive tract, which can cause bloating and discomfort. Plus, they pack in tons of calories without much nutritional payoff, so it's easy to overdo them. I'd suggest trying to limit your nut butters to one fat serving per day (1-2 thumbs, or tbsp).

Archived