Whole30 3.0 with a 'new' consideration!

So.. this is my 3rd Whole 30 and I wasn't going to blog through it.. until to my surprise on day 4, I had a 'positive' home pregnancy test!  I'm 34 & this will be our first baby.

This is very exciting because only last week my doctor was telling me based on my test results (last July) it would be very difficult for me to conceive naturally.  And we had put it all off for a while (life got in the way) and this is the first month we were actively trying to get pregnant and BAM!!   :o Of course now I'm scared shitless it's going to 'go away' but I'm feeling pretty good about it all at the moment.

I decided to blog because I'm going to need the extra support since I already cop a whole string of criticisms from friends and family about my 'diet choices' ugh.  And when people find out I'm pregnant I'm sure they're going to have a whole lot of 'opinions'! 

One great things is everyone knows my husband and I are on our 3rd W30, so at least I don't have to make any excuses for why I'm not drinking at social gatherings ;)

Sorry for the long post but i'll catch you up on my food diary thus far..I'll keep them short from now on...

The only goal that has changed since we found out is weightloss, obviously we can strike this off the list!

Whole 30 3.0

Goals for the 3rd time around.

• Defeat the Sugar Dragon who came back with vengeance! We've been very naughty for a month now.. still eating paleo but reaching for the chocolate late at night!!
  • Sleep – 8 hours!
  • Drink Water! My worst health habit.. I'm a camel I just don't get thirsty and I'm always dehydrated.
  • Lose 3 kgs (just the little extra I've put on in only a month!) Starting weight 62kg

Day 1. (Tuesday)

Bad start! Totally unorganised.  Grab & Go, eat on the run L Had a tantrum at work when I realised my salmon in springwater I had stashed in my drawer contains SUGAR! WTF

M1 â€“1 Boiled Egg, Guacamole, Mayo, 3 Carrots, Black Coffee, 2 x Pear (TINY!!)

M2- Salad (4 mix leaves & beetroot, brocoli, carrot), Mayo, Grilled chicken breast, Olives, ½ avocado, Grapes

M3 â€“ Paleo Slow Cooker Chicken Curry

Exercise: HIIT Class (55 mins)

Other: Nuts, Fish Oil, Rooibos Tea

Notes: Feeling good today.. certainly felt the after dinner twang.. I want ‘something'

Day 2. (Wednesday)

Much more organised today!  Cooked ahead last night. Food dreams already!!  In my dream I absent mindedly ate a handful of popcorn!

M1 â€“Silverbeet sautéed with garlic, salt & olive oil. 2 eggs scrambled with water & coconut oil.  It looked ugly but was delicious! Grapes & Black Coffee

M2  - Salad (4 mix leaves & beetroot, broccoli, carrot), Mayo, Grilled chicken breast, Olives, ½ avocado

M3 â€“ Paleo Bolognaise with cherry tomatoes on a bed of carrot & zucchini ‘noodles'

Exercise: Body Pump (60 mins), felt good plenty of energy

Other: Nuts, Nashi Pear, Green Tea, Black Coffee

Notes:  Very excited I got to use my new vegetable spiral slicer I got for my birthday last week but I was a bit cranky tonight!

Day 3. (Thursday) :angry: 

Definitely my kill all things day.  Woke up murderous!  My past experience is day 3 is the worst and from the binging I did last week, it's going to hurt.  The good news is the hard part goes just as quickly.  I will avoid confrontation today!!  My poor husband got snapped at in the kitchen this morning for stepping in my way. :wacko:

M1 â€“ Paleo Bolognaise, Nashi Pear, Black Coffee

M2 - Salad (4 mix leaves & beetroot, broccoli, carrot), Mayo, Grilled chicken breast, Olives, ½ avocado

M3 â€“ T-Bone Steak, Bok Choy & Sweet Potato, small amount of grapes.

Exercise: Decided not to go to yoga tonight, it's a late class and my energy is low so early night for me! 

Other: Fish Oil, Nuts, 4 Strawberries

Notes: Apart from the horror morning.. I was ok by the afternoon.  Things to remember: Grapes upset my belly!! Why do I continue to eat them! Cause they are yummy, in season, cheap & delicious! Still.. I need to limit these.

Day 4.  (Friday)

Woke up feeling a little nauseas and had a feeling…. I knew I had one PG test in the bathroom so I decided to pee on a stick!  HELLO!!!  TWO PINK LINES!!!!

M1 â€“ 1 egg, 1/2 banana, a small handful of grapes & mac nuts, Black coffee

M2 â€“ HUGE Salad!! (4 mix leaves & beetroot, brocoli, carrot) Can of Salmon in Springwater, mayo, guac, mushroom, tomato & artichokes. OMG.. best salad ever!

S – Mixed nuts, Nashi Pear, Chicken Breast

M3 â€“ Fajitas!  Chicken & Steak, cumin, garlic & coriander cooked in olive oil with capsicums & onions & wrapped in lettuce leaves.  Big dinner made for friends & kids after crossfit training together.. It's a Friday night tradition J

Others – Started on Elevit (Pregnancy Supplement - not sure if it's compliant but decided that's not the most important thing anymore!)

Exercise: CrossFit  ( I pulled my trainer aside before our session and discussed ‘the situation' with him.  He was great and I'm feeling good about training) Great session!  He's already helping me put my weights away.. hahahah I wonder when others will notice he's doing it :ph34r:

Notes: Dinner was with CF friends after our session.  My head is spinning today! So much to think about, very excited and thinking about all the things I may need to change....?  I think I'm about 5 weeks along so no morning sickness yet, I'm wondering when that's going to ruin my life! lol

Congratulations!  I hope everything goes smashingly well for you.  And that you manage to keep your secret at Crossfit for as long as you want to -- I have seen some amazing women CF through much of pregnancy.  Talk about some hot mamas!  (In the best possible sense, that is.)  Best wishes.

Thank you :)

I train 4-5 days a week in a standard gym but I started doing CF 1-2 times a week with my Tough Mudder team to increase my strength & overall fitness.  Now I'm hooked!  I'm not lifting very heavy anyway, so I'm pretty sure it's okay to go ahead as I have been for now.

Congrats on the baby - and pretty funny that you were possibly already knocked up when the doctor was telling you that you'd have a hard time!

I can't believe people give you stick about the way you eat. Presumably at least your CrossFit friends are down with it? And when people voice their opinion about it during pregnancy, just ask them what exactly about eating meat and vege is going to be harmful for your baby.

Thank you :)

Yep my CF friends mostly follow Paleo diets and have done a W30 with me in the past.  It's more the family..

Anywho we'll see how it goes!  My problem is, I have a rubbish memory and when people put me on the spot arguing why I should or shouldn't eat something I can never remember how to argue it!  And I'd rather not say something inaccurate.

Thanks for the tip

Congrats on the baby - and pretty funny that you were possibly already knocked up when the doctor was telling you that you'd have a hard time!

I can't believe people give you stick about the way you eat. Presumably at least your CrossFit friends are down with it? And when people voice their opinion about it during pregnancy, just ask them what exactly about eating meat and vege is going to be harmful for your baby.

Day 5. (Saturday)

M1 – Silverbeet (Sautéed with olive oil, garlic & onion) with poached eggs, black coffee

M2 – Farmers Pie (Shepherds Pie but with lamb mince, extra veg & cauliflower topping)

M3 – Sweet Potato in Coconut Oil with Chicken Drumsticks (Saturday night easy in front of the TV)

Other: Strawberries & Pineapple

Exercise: None today.

I was out shopping for a few hours today, groceries, appliances.  Came home exhausted so I chilled out in the afternoon and opted for an easy dinner.  In light of our new information and preparing for the impending onslaught of opinions.. I pulled out my ISWF for a little refresher course ;)

Day 6. (Sunday)

Holy crap I cooked up a storm today!!  I woke at 5:30 and worked all day.  I had the urge to spring clean (on a cold winter day) my house.. Including pantries & drawers!  I had two slow cookers going all day in preparation of the week. 

M1 – Farmers Pie, black coffee

M2 –  Chicken wings (I was trying out the new Actifry cooker I bought yesterday.. Love it!) with a huge bowl of homemade kale chips with olive oil & balsamic vinegar.  Watermelon.

M3 – Slow cooked lamb shanks with cauliflower mash & silverbeet (chard for the Americans).

Exercise: None today. Unless you count vacuuming, scrubbing & wiping! :P

Other: Nashi Pear, Macadamia Nuts

Notes: I seriously need help to make myself drink water!!!!!!!!!!!! Got to 3pm before I realised I hadn't had ANY.. Unacceptable

I'm all caught up on my posts now & going to see the doc tonight!

Whereabouts do you CrossFit? There aren't any convenient enough to me (as in, on my way home from work, or close to home with classes I can go to before work) to get me there.

As for water, I'm fine when I'm at work, but on weekends I have to have bottles of sparkling water in the fridge or I just don't drink it. I know it's a waste of money (although, at 90c for 1.25l I'm not that concerned) and the environmental impact of throwing out all those plastic bottles is terrible, but it's the only way I remember to drink it. I should look at getting a SodaStream...

Do you think the ActiFry was actually better than just doing it in the oven? I read a review by Choice that said it doesn't do anything you can't do in the oven, with the same result and pretty much the same time.

Hi Gojo09..

CrossFit Norwest (Castle Hill)

I'm getting better with  the water.. I'm literally walking around with a bottle in my hand at all times.. But I seriously have to work on actually getting it to my lips!

The thing is.. I don't have an oven :mellow: We live in a granny flat style place and I have a full kitchen sans oven/stove.  So i have a lovely collection of electrical appliances!  The Actifry always looked like a 'luxury' item but Myer had it $100 off on the weekend & it was an impulse buy.  So far I've made sweet potato in coconut oil, kale chips, chicken wings & chicken drumsticks with herbs & spices.  It was amazing & really quick.  My only criticism of it, is that it's quite noisy.  Now I can cook all the things my slow cooker just made a little mushy :lol:

I'm in West Pennant Hills, so Norwest is theoretically quite close to me - but really, it's the complete opposite direction to work and a good 20 min drive each way. And anyway, I have about a million other things, I don't need CrossFit as well! There are only so many days in a week!

I can't imagine not having an oven! That's actually a little anxiety inducing for me :)  (although I guess since I don't bake much anymore it wouldn't be that big of a deal)

I know! It was hard at first but we adapt as we must :)

I love crossfit but it is kind of cripplingly expensive!!  Absolutely worth every cent for the individual training you get and I love it but it's not easy to justify especially when you have other things.  You can do a free info session at the gym though to give you a taste.  It's a great place to go.

Yeah, I already have yoga (that's partially work-subsidised so only $5 a session), boxing (also at work, but $10 session), gym ($17/wk), a treadmill at home, and looking at signing up at a climbing gym (another $22/wk). I wish there was more of a community feel at my gym, but it's a 24hr place, so the only time I even see a staff member is on Saturday mornings. I used to do CrossFit WODs with my old PT, and they were pretty fun (in a nasty way).

GoJo09, I swear by my Soda Stream..... I would definitely encourage you to go for it if it is at all practical for you.  I love mine, and I love keeping all that plastic out of the landfill, too!

GoJo09, I swear by my Soda Stream..... I would definitely encourage you to go for it if it is at all practical for you.  I love mine, and I love keeping all that plastic out of the landfill, too!

I've put it out there on FreeCycle - come on, free SodaStream!

Day 7. (Monday)

So.. sorry for the overshare but this has never happened to me on a W30 before usually quite the opposite but I'm extremely bloated & constipated.  I'm thinking it's a PG symptom?

M1 – Started with some prunes! LOL.  Paleo Beef Chilli with zucchini noodles, small amount of mixed nuts.

M2 – Steamed Veg (Carrot, Brocoli, Cauli), Tuna, Beetroot & Olives.. felt a bit off my food but ate it all anyway.

OMG!! I WANT A COOKIE! :blink:

M3 – Lamb shanks & Green Beans in Ghee

Exercise: None today, went to see the doc for my blood tests instead!  Not the best experience, the first attempt just burst blood out everywhere!! Second try on the other arm went well.. the poor lady she was upset, lucky I'm great with needles!

Other: Apple with Almond & Chia Butter, Mandarin, Peppermint Tea (I'm still having my morning coffee but I switched out the afternoon coffee with the herbal tea), Banana & Nuts while waiting for the doctor cause I didn't get home until 9 for a late dinner and it's all I had on hand.

Day 8. (Tuesday)

M1 – ½ banana, eggs, strawberries, beetroot, black coffee

M2 – Paleo Beef Chilli with extra steamed veg. Ate way too much.. SO BLOATED!

M3 – Slow cooked chicken curry with Sweet Potato, Carrot, Celery & Onions

Other:  Strawberries, mixed nuts, nashi pear, Decaf Coffee with Coconut Milk

Exercise: Body Attack (60mins)   

I bought a heart rate monitor yesterday, I wore it tonight just to keep an eye on things.  Of course it was too high most of the time but my instructor said just to listen to my body, if I'm breathing okay then so is baby and not to get too hot.  The kicker.. my instructor is the same way along as me! So I feel even better about things knowing she's teaching and looking out for me.  I found it really hard to hold back!   I took some of the lower impact options just because.. but I feel so good I want to go at it! :wacko:

That's so cool the instructor is the same stage as you. And how lucky are you feeling so great - everyone I know who's had a baby felt tired and gross for the first 10-12 weeks. They also were pretty constipated the entire time (there's a lot of overshare amongst my friends :) ).

You don't want a biscuit :)  - maybe some extra sweet potato would help though? A bit sweet, carby energy, and extra fibre to help things along.

Oh don't get me wrong.. I am zombie like! But thankfully not sick yet.  I felt amazing while I was training though so that's a huge plus. 

Good suggestion.. I'm going to organise a few snacks like sweet potato at the ready for work.  I didn't eat the cookie.. thankfully I have nothing like that at hand.

I think this is just the place for the TMI!!

To get enough water, one of the things I do is write on a water bottle with the time and draw a line of how much water I should've consumed by then . . . like this (http://rayraysrecipes.files.wordpress.com/2013/04/164209_509922342378009_1537701440_n.jpg?w=474 ).  It helps me remember!  We've just started trying for a second kiddo right now, and I'm on my first W30 . . . day 7!  I'm excited to see how it goes for you!

Haha!! I used to do that!  Now I would just stare at the bottle and be reminded I am failing :wacko:

I am getting better.. every now and then I chug half a glass for catch up.  good luck with the TTC.. fun times ;)

Anywho.. catch up diary.

Day 15.  I have been slack keeping my food diary.. but you should know I have been good.. angel like really :P

I have been eating all kinds of yummy winter comfort foods.. my slow cooker has been getting a workout!

Like: Chicken Soup, Hungarian Beef Stew, Lamb shanks, Chicken Drumsticks, Pork Chops with Apples & Apricot, Fajitas & more.

So far so good with all the PG stuff.. I came out of my GP's office with crosseyes! I'm so confused about what I'm supposed to do next... ring the hospital? choose a hospital.? when do I do all this?  .... gah! thankfully I have the trusty google.

I do have one gripe.. and perhaps you can blame it on the fact I'm seriously hormonal and I go from sweetness to CRANK in seconds at the moment.. Why do people care so much about what I do or don't eat?  It's like it hurts them personally!

Example.  I wanted to visit a friend (with a new baby) while she was in Sydney visitng with her parents and she asked me to come over in the afternoon around 2 as they were having a big family lunch.  So we ate at home first and went over, of course they had started eating late and wanted us to join in.. they just couldn't accept no thank you we've already eaten!  We had a table of people ganging up on us!  Then they offered wine, no TQ.. oh why are you dieting AGAIN?  came the questions.. you are both so skinny!  GRRR 

How do you explain to people!!!   Then we went through it all again when it was cake time!  They seemed genuinely hurt we wouldn't eat their food.. I was embarrassed and with my emotional state quite upset for upsetting them.

I don't understand why people get so upset by someone elses food choices.

Also.. I am thankful for the W30 rules at the moment because after that little incident all I wanted was chocolate or cake or anything else I could have got my hands on.  In fact I've never wanted to break it more than I did that afternoon. :angry:

Day 16.

Had my first uneasy day... I mean in terms of nausea.

Not morning sickness as such.. it hit me around 10am and lasted about two hours, the smell of peoples food in the office was turning my stomach!  I hope it doesn't get worse! 

I'm really off my food it's a chore to eat.. the only thing I can eat happily is fruit, in partcular bananas.

So lunch today was a bit of this and that over an hour.. 

3 x Chicken drumsticks (cooked at home in curry powder)

6 x Olives (it's all that was left in the jar!)

Nashi Pear

100gms of Snow Peas

Coffee with three heaped dessert spoons of coconut milk

It's the best I could do.  I know I'll be having a good dinner to make up for it, I have lamb shanks in the slow cooker :D

How're you feeling today? Both emotionally and physically :)

Have you still been able to do your workouts, or taking it a bit easier? (And how good is coffee with coconut cream?! How did I live my life before this discovery?!)

Yes me too! In fact I'll go have one now.. the funny thing is on my first whole30 last Sept.. I stopped drinking coffee for a while cause I couldn't handle it black, then it took ages to enjoy it with coconut.  Now I love it both ways.  Gone are my cappucino days!

Thanks for asking!

I think I'm losing my mind.. I can't seem to remember anything. It's quite humorous really :wacko:

Overall feeling much better today.. can't manage to eat breakfast though.  The best I can do is an ice cold pear of fruit from the fridge.. I'm okay by around 10 so I'm just eating at scattered times.

It really is a job to make myself eat though.. I have zero cravings, I just don't want to eat at all! 

Lunch today was a bit all over the shop, just the things I'm supposed to eat in a form I could stomach.

Green olives, grilled chicken tenderloins, guacamole & snow peas.

Yesterday I had some coconut water that seemed to go down beautifully! But I'm avoiding doing that too often.

I am so tired it is crazy.. no yoga for me tonight it's going to be enough of a struggle to drive home from work. It's my biggest challenge.. I drive 106kms each way.. around 1 1/2 hours. 

Gym this week

Monday: Zumba

Tuesday: Body Attack

Wednesday: Pump

Tonight: SLEEP -_-

Friday: Crossfit

So far feeling great during my workouts, slowed down a little in Attack and had a small bout of nausea during Pump last night other than that all good!

I want a nap.

I was a black coffee drinker - only ever had milk when I bought a latte. Now I go and buy a long black, take it back to work and slop in some coconut cream. People think I'm weird. You'd think they'd be used to me by now. I did have a milk latte after my first W30 and felt so ill. More places need to start serving almond milk!

Your lunch sounds delicious actually :)  - and I'm pretty sure coconut water is not the worst thing in the world if it makes you feel better. 100km each way?! Where do you work? Wollongong? I feel I should stop moaning about my 50 min drive/train commute...

I want a nap too - and I don't have your excuse! Just a puny little workout at lunchtime and I'm smashed - it didn't even feel that hard at the time!

Archived