The Official "Can I Have..." Guide to the Whole30

Robin Strathdee

With Thanksgiving right around the corner and it falling in the 4th week of my Whole30 … I found a cranberry sauce by R.W. Knudsen that has 3 ingredients … Cranberries, fruit syrup and water.  Is this Ok to have during a Whole30 ?  Thanks !

~~ Steve ~~

Fruit syrup would make it a no, as syrup typically means sugar - sorry!

If you mean curd as in curds & whey, then no.

If you mean curd as in lemon curd, then no.

I could have just said no, couldn't i? ;)

Ok, i just Googled dahi & I'd say that's a no too, as the recipe used both lentils & rice. But i learned something new :)

Dahi has no rice in it.http://indianfood.about.com/od/sidesandsalads/g/dahi.htm

Also are Date's and raisins allowed?

• 1 month later...

Hi all!

Before you create a new can I have, take a peek at this list we've compiled of the most common "Can I Have" questions!http://whole9life.com/2013/06/the-official-can-i-have-guide-to-the-whole30/

Robin you are a rockstar. Love this. Helps me think of re-calibrating my body as much as staying compliant. And there is so much food that is on-plan. Thanks!

I have this Bengal Spice herbal tea from Celestial Seasonings. It honestly tastes deliciously sweet that i feel like there must be something amiss.

Here are the ingredients:

"Cinnamon, roasted chicory, roasted carob, natural spice and vanilla flavors with other natural flavors, ginger, cardamom, black pepper, cloves and nutmeg." from - http://www.celestialseasonings.com/products/herbal-teas/bengal-spice

Is this Whole30 compliant?  Or should I avoid because of the "other natural flavors"

• Like 1

I have this Bengal Spice herbal tea from Celestial Seasonings. It honestly tastes deliciously sweet that i feel like there must be something amiss.

"Cinnamon, roasted chicory, roasted carob, natural spice and vanilla flavors with other natural flavors, ginger, cardamom, black pepper, cloves and nutmeg." from - http://www.celestialseasonings.com/products/herbal-teas/bengal-spice

Is this Whole30 compliant?  Or should I avoid because of the "other natural flavors"

Searching the "Can I have guide" it looks like Melissa posted a comment yesterday stating that natural flavors are not technically off program. However natural flavors can mean a lot of things so you may want to consider what it means to you personally in regards to your W30. In other words this is a personal preference area as far as I can tell. 

And I've had that tea...it's very good!

• Like 1

I am drinking this RIGHT now and came on to find out if chicory was ok.   It's just so good I can't stand it.  :-)

• Like 1

If you like Bengal Spice tea check out Good Earth Spice Tea. I am not sure if it is Whole30 compliant because I don't have any at the moment. If not try it after your whole30. It is similar to bengal spice.

• Like 1

Odd question regarding eggs. Because there is limited space in our refrigerator, I tend to keep my eggs in a small bowl, which I share with my roommates. I assumed the eggs were of the Certified Humane variety since we're all trying to live a tad healthier. Turns out they were just regular-whatever-was-on-sale eggs. While I'm going to start buying my own and reading the labels, I was curious if there is an unacceptable Whole 30 type of egg. Thanks!

Odd question regarding eggs. Because there is limited space in our refrigerator, I tend to keep my eggs in a small bowl, which I share with my roommates. I assumed the eggs were of the Certified Humane variety since we're all trying to live a tad healthier. Turns out they were just regular-whatever-was-on-sale eggs. While I'm going to start buying my own and reading the labels, I was curious if there is an unacceptable Whole 30 type of egg. Thanks!

No unacceptable eggs.

• 4 weeks later...

I am working hard at not snacking. I do love to snack! But I find that I miss flavor almost as much as I miss my old habit of eating every 3 hours, smaller meals for each. So I had the idea that broth might work for me... Very flavorful, but kind of more of a drink, and I make it myself so I know it's compliant and not just a bath of salt for my intestines. 

What is the opinion on "snacking" on a glass full of warm broth? Honestly, it seems healthier than putting on another pot of coffee... But I suppose technically it's food and therefore having a mid afternoon chicken broth is kind of snacking.

Any thoughts on this?

I am working hard at not snacking. I do love to snack! But I find that I miss flavor almost as much as I miss my old habit of eating every 3 hours, smaller meals for each. So I had the idea that broth might work for me... Very flavorful, but kind of more of a drink, and I make it myself so I know it's compliant and not just a bath of salt for my intestines. 

What is the opinion on "snacking" on a glass full of warm broth? Honestly, it seems healthier than putting on another pot of coffee... But I suppose technically it's food and therefore having a mid afternoon chicken broth is kind of snacking.

Any thoughts on this?

I would consider drinking a cup of bone broth a beverage or supplement not a snack. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Hi! 

I know this gets annoying because a lot of questions can be answered but some simple thought but sometimes it gets overwhelming (i just started), and I tend to hesitate whether its a for sure no or yes!  I know ALL of the exceptions, and have a print out of the rules....

What condones having to "start over", i read about the peanuts thing (and I understand that), thats obviously a choice but sometimes it happens where you may have thought it was approved and it wasn't?

Also, why no pea proteins! I love my vegaone protein after workouts...but don't understand why I can't have it! thanks so much! 

P.S the Make it paleo book it great :) I highly recommend it! 

Hi! 

I know this gets annoying because a lot of questions can be answered but some simple thought but sometimes it gets overwhelming (i just started), and I tend to hesitate whether its a for sure no or yes!  I know ALL of the exceptions, and have a print out of the rules....

What condones having to "start over", i read about the peanuts thing (and I understand that), thats obviously a choice but sometimes it happens where you may have thought it was approved and it wasn't?

Also, why no pea proteins! I love my vegaone protein after workouts...but don't understand why I can't have it! thanks so much! 

P.S the Make it paleo book it great :) I highly recommend it! 

Here's your answer on pea protein: http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/10542-pea-protein-isolate/

Starting over can be due to several reasons: willfully consuming something that is against the rules,  or eating something (intentional or accidental) that contains a gut-disrupting ingredient.  The latter includes things like soy, gluten, sulfites, MSG and carrageenan.