How to get my mom on board?

Vian

My mom is an RN and is stressed out all the time. She's not overweight, but she is "skinny fat" - very little muscle tone, some belly flab, etc. She has all kinds of issues with stress and anxiety and takes about a million supplements for it, as well as all the antioxidant ones, coQ10, resverotrol, fish oil, etc.

She eats alot of protein bars and greek yogurt, grazes all day on high-carb stuff and says that anything high in protein and fat is "too heavy." 

But having said all that, she awknowledges that paleo is healthy and makes sense and when I tell her all the stuff I've learned about why certain foods cause the kinds of reactions they do, why Saturated fat is healthy, etc. she agrees with me that it makes sense!

The only reason she won't change her diet is because she doesn't think she could survive going to work while having the "carb flu" during the transition period. Those first few days where you feel pretty crappy while your brain and body adjust to using protein and fat for fuel instead of lots of easy carbs.

I think she is also overwhelmed by having to plan and cook food for the day without being able to grab easy pre-packaged things like protein bars and yogurt.

It's just so frustrating knowing that this way of eating could help her so much, but she just won't give it a try.

I dont have any advice but I am in the same boat as you are.  I have completed a Whole30 and had great results.  I wanted her to do it with me at the time but she said she couldnt because she had way to many social events going on.   I have asked her again recently to do another one with me, I let her borrow my book, and she still replied 'no promises'.  she relies on protein shakes for breakfast and said she wont be able to give up her Splenda in her tea.

I have read somewhere on this site not to push anyone into doing something they dont want because it is pointless.  Just lead by example and hope one day she joins you, or makes little strides of progress.

There's absolutely nothing you can do or say that will convince someone to try a Whole 30.  In fact, the harder you try,  the more he/she will shut down - trust me on this.

That being said, I've had several people ask me about W30 and actually do the program just by noticing my results.  I never mentioned my eating plan, never tried to convince anyone, etc.  I just walked my walk and kept my mouth shut.    People were curious at first, then had more questions, then a few went so far as to order ISWF and give the plan a try.  I never offered advice, but always answered any questions they might have.   My family members are not interested in W30, but as a result of my success, and to show their support, our family gatherings and our holiday celebrations are extremely healthy now.    No more lasagna, heavy desserts, etc.  I think that's a good start. 

I've learned in life that people will never do what we think they should do, no matter how good our intentions may be.  But we can lead by example and hopefully gain a few followers. 

Not everyone goes through the carb flu, or at least it doesn't always last a significant amount of time. I used to LIVE on carbs before I started my W30. Day 3 I felt pretty crappy in the morning, but that was the worst of it. If she has acknowledged this is a healthy lifestyle, she might just have to chew on it and observe you for awhile. It took me over a year to decide I wouldn't actually die if I gave up bread. If someone had tried to force me into the diet earlier, I'm sure I would have failed because I wasn't mentally ready. Hopefully this way of eating does well for you and you are able to stick with it for the most part post-W30...that will be your best bet to get your mom interested.

My mom was actually eating mostly paleo before I was, and I didn't know it! My dad has always poo-pooed the whole gluten-free thing and every other new way of eating as a "fad," but I think he started to come around when eating gluten-free cleared up all of my mom's fibromyalgia symptoms.  He eats what she cooks, and she's been slowly cutting back more and more on bad foods with him. She's been hung up on white potatoes and cheese, and I recently bought her a copy of ISWF, hoping she'll try a W30 and see if she feels even better. My dad actually snatched up the book and started reading it before she got a chance to, and has been peppering her with questions. He is considering trying a W30 some time this summer!! I am very happy about this. Now I just have about 5 more family members to work on.  ;)

Archived