July 1 Start Date - Who's with Me?!

mamaxt

I'm IN! I've been doing Atkins for about a month and it's gone pretty well. But i have a tendacy to eat to many junk foods. Sugarfree snack bars and such. I'm also starting to wonder if dairy is bothering me since i've been eating more on Atkins. My husband is a junkfood addict so it makes it hard sometimes to not eat the crappy food he buys :( .  Still i'm exctied to get started and challenge myself. Putting away the scale is going to be hard :/ 

Suzy, I stuck mine in a bag and put it in the closet. It used to live near my side of the bed. I've actually considered taking it to work and giving it to my boss to hold for me until August 1st.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm in!! My first W30. Have a 10 week old baby boy-our first. Life gets a little more serious when you bring new life into the world. I want what's the BEST & clearly need to make some food changes.

I had been debating on whether to do it or not, esp with a new baby/lack of sleep/breast feeding/stress of going back to work next week UNTIL I was reading the 'tough love' section of the guidelines. My brother was diagnosed with a cancerous brain tumor a year ago & has been through a tough, tough battle. But he is winning! When I saw the quote below I knew I needed to do the W30:

"It is not hard. Don't you dare tell us this is hard. Quitting heroin is hard. Beating cancer is hard. Drinking your coffee black. Is. Not. Hard. You won't get any coddling, and you won't get any sympathy for your “strugglesâ€. YOU HAVE NO EXCUSE not to complete the program as written. It's only thirty days, and it's for the most important health cause on earth – the only physical body you will ever have in this lifetime."

I plan to start my 2nd Whole 30 tomorrow. (First was in April) Was all set to start last Monday but did something horrible to my back on Sunday which in addition to causing horrendous pain, was making me nauseous so I was pretty much eating whatever would stay down (mostly Gluten free cupcakes and pizza).

I am still feeling pretty crappy and am taking lots of pills, but the GF pizza, cupcake diet is probably just adding to the yucky feeling so hopefully clean eating will at least help my blood sugar get back to normal.

On a side note, my Physiotherapist was telling me that spinal discs are like jelly doughnuts but some of my doughnuts are squished and the jelly is coming out and all I could think of was how I really wanted a jelly doughnut.

Welcome to everyone who just joined and good luck as you take Day 0 to prep for success!!

As far as breaking up with the scale goes, we're in the middle of remodeling our bathroom. I can honestly say that I don't know where my scale is. Haha. I guess I won't have to worry about cheating in that regard.

Made my trip to the grocery store today. Stocked up on fresh meats and veggies. Got some saurkraut, pickles and three different kinds of olives. Grabbed a few fruits and nuts plus some canned proteins as well. I know tomorrow (the whole next week really) will be a challenge, but for now I'm feeling empowered and excited!

What are YOU psyched about as you get set to start tomorrow?

LydiaL… I'm in the same boat as you with a bad back. I've been in bed for two weeks now and still looking at least another week. But it's been a great opportunity for me to read up on the Whole30 program, and although I can't get out and do the kind of shopping I really need to do I have already eliminated alcohol, grains, and legumes, plus also starting to eat a healthy fats. I have a great supermarket close by which does deliveries and they have lots of organic fruit, veggies and meat, so I think I'll be ok despite the fact that I can't get out.

On another note I've been having lots of bone broth. Can anyone tell me if this is okay for the next 30 days?

I planned on starting July 1 as well.

I already have 3 weeks of meal plans made up from my vast array of Paleo cookbooks so I'm ready!

I've been paleo for a while but every now and then I'll sneak in a treat and I know that I eat too much dairy so this 30 days will be an interesting experience for me.

Bone broth is very much allowed, assuming that it's compliant. If you are purchasing it rather than making your own, check labels carefully that there aren't any added nasties. Also, you'll want to ensure that you are rounding out your meals with fats and tons of veggies. Living on bone broth alone won't cut it during a W30.

I'm IN! I've been doing Atkins for about a month and it's gone pretty well. But i have a tendacy to eat to many junk foods. Sugarfree snack bars and such. I'm also starting to wonder if dairy is bothering me since i've been eating more on Atkins. My husband is a junkfood addict so it makes it hard sometimes to not eat the crappy food he buys :( .  Still i'm exctied to get started and challenge myself. Putting away the scale is going to be hard :/ 

Unfortunately my husband isn't joining in with me so it will be tough! Especially on the 4th. But we just bought a bunch of locally pastured beef and I will try to get what other grass fed meats I can but I think the beef will be it.

It's ok if you don't have 100% grass fed meats right? Our markets don't really carry it (they carry "free range and organic" which is basically just corn fed expensive meat vs. corn fed cheap meat) and there isn't a Trader Joes or Whole Foods anywhere near here.

Yes, it's absolutely ok not to have all grass-fed meats. But you should shoot for the leanest cut of meat possible and/or trim off all visible fat. Toxins and chemical nasties end up in fat deposits of conventional meats. So, while they are just fine, know that you want to avoid fatty cuts that can't be trimmed.

What am I psyched about? Things being simple. Not playing games with things I know I need to eliminate and trying to 'cut back'. I have a feeling that I am one of those people whose weight loss is slowed way down with too much dairy, and I've definitely been consuming way too much dairy. I'm excited about trying some new vegetables I haven't had, new preparations. And I'm glad about breaking my dependence on artificial sweetener. 

Oh I forgot to mention, I'm a Whole30 virgin, this is my first...

Me too, Jenna. I've eliminated a lot of the Whole30 no go things, but not all of them until now. When I first learned about the Whole30 I was like, no way, because I wasnt ready to put down my milk and cheese. but I am ready now! 

Mimiigo sorry to hear about your back problems but sounds like you already have a good start. I wasn't able to do a good shopping this weekend because I can't carry very much but I will hopefully be ok food wise with what I have.

Hi all, 

I'm starting my Whole 30 today and am a first timer and like Jenna am Australian so have started it already. My black coffee is a little bit different this morning but not so terrible!  :P We've been pretty much 90% paleo for years anyway due to my partner's auto immune condition so it is not so much of a leap but I will be paying much closer attention to labels (i.e. shame about the almond milk I thought was 'clean' but had vegetable gum in it-lucky I checked first! Good luck to all and looking forward to checking in with this group over the month.

Can I join you? I actually started my whole30 on Saturday so I will be 2 days ahead. This is the first time I've done anything of this nature so I'm on a total learning curve. I jumped right in as urged so I'm not entirely prepared but my husband decided to join me which is great. I have enough of what I need for the next few days and I will just keep on top of it.

Today was day two and when I hopped out of bed I nearly hit the deck as my blood pressure plummeted. It took me a while to start feeling ok but I did recover and feel great again. Probably diet coke withdrawal. :D

Looking forward to sharing the journey

Born Sandy and Freylah, welcome!

Wanted to mention too that while I'm in the US and on the East Coast, I work midnight shift so I'm always around for a chat in the wee hours/other people's daytime if you are having a rough time. I work midnight shift at a 911 call center. In a rural area. So there's lots of nothing-going-on time. :) 

Me too, Jenna. I've eliminated a lot of the Whole30 no go things, but not all of them until now. When I first learned about the Whole30 I was like, no way, because I wasnt ready to put down my milk and cheese. but I am ready now! 

We've had a similar journey it seems! I did a challenge with my local barre studio earlier in the year and their recommended eating plan was quite similar to a whole30. It was great, I've worked out I'm slightly gluten sensitive which is awesome! But I'm also now ready to do it properly. Lets see what July brings!

Gosh, how lovely are you all here! Thanks Mrs Robinson for your offer and similarly too I hope you'll lean on me should you need it. BTW, my actual name is Tracey, I use the Born Sandy moniker as an alias but given how personal this type of journey is my real name is there as well. 

Hi everyone!  Please count me in as a return starter too.  I started 2 days ago, and failed today.  How to people manage dinners with family?  I did tell my sister I couldn't have beans or white food(to keep it simple) and she added beans, a whole lot of them to the salad.  Then to top it off, she served our plates prior to sitting down to eat.  I only ate part of the salad-- it was too big, but I did have some beans.  So I'm starting over with you guys tomorrow.  Unfortunately, I'm going to her house on the 4th again.  Hope I can make a choice then.  So if I ate a small amount of a forbidden food, do I really have to start over?  It doesn't matter this time as I've already reported I failed so I will start over.

Archived