July 1 Start Date - Who's with Me?!

mamaxt

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Actually, it's no protein powder, period, on a Whole30. You might want to check out this article: http://whole9life.com/2013/06/the-official-can-i-have-guide-to-the-whole30/

in that link I see this:  Almost all protein powders (like whey, soy, or pea) contain off-limit ingredients

hmmmm

Melissa @ Whole9 7 March, 2012 at 11:01 am #

Tim,

We always recommend real food post-workout (or any other time). Real protein sources digest and absorb more slowly, aiding your recovery for a longer period of time than whey protein shakes. Eggs, chicken, salmon or deli meats are all relatively “light†and easy protein sources right after a training session. However, if you're going to do a meal replacement, you can use a 100% egg white protein powder (NOW Foods makes one – tastes like junk but that's the price you pay).

Best,

Melissa

It sounds like the "clean" variety of protein powder is on the "allowed, but not really recommended" list for Whole30. I'd guess that it's okay if you're really athletic and training hard. But if it's something you're using in place of real foods as a true "supplement" you might want to be careful relying too much on it, Chris. You're an adult and only you know what will work for your body. Since you're just starting out, though, maybe it's best to avoid the protein powder for a few days and eat more fresh eggs instead. 

Clarification Note from Tom Denham - No protein powder, including egg white protein powder is acceptable during a Whole30. What you choose to do outside of a Whole30 is up to you.

It sounds like the "clean" variety of protein powder is on the "allowed, but not really recommended" list for Whole30. I'd guess that it's okay if you're really athletic and training hard. But if it's something you're using in place of real foods as a true "supplement" you might want to be careful relying too much on it, Chris. You're an adult and only you know what will work for your body. Since you're just starting out, though, maybe it's best to avoid the protein powder for a few days and eat more fresh eggs instead. 

I guess the way I understand it, most protein powders are off the list b/c they either contain Whey or Soy OR it's the idea of changing the large contingent of convenience food people from "fake food" to "real food".

Would anyone say don't use almond flour, use real almonds?  IMO, Egg powder (if clean) is similar and serves an important role in post workout nutrition.  I think it's apparent in Melissa's post that a clean egg protein powder doesn't contain offensive ingredients and is inline with the program.  

Actually, almond flour is also to be avoided on your Whole30 as well.

The point of a W30 isn't just about what ingredients exist in a food - though that's an important place to start - it's also, and very importantly, about the relationship(s) and cultural associations we have with food. Food, whole and fresh, is gives you a more satisfied feeling after eating than, for instance, taking a supplement.

Making this point is not intended to devalue supplements or medicines. It's just that when a "whole" alternative is present, we're supposed to be encouraging ourselves to select the "real" food version over the altered one (broken down into powder, turned into a Larabar, etc.). It's not that these things are banned, but rather that they don't have the same effect of satisfying us as the more complex versions of whole foods in their original form. Does that sense? 

That being said, for your post workout "meal" if the protein powder (clean and inline with all the W30 guidelines) leaves you feeling satisfied, then by all means, keep it up. Good luck to you on the rest of your W30! 

Actually, almond flour is also to be avoided on your Whole30 as well.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

That is not correct. Almond flour is allowed on the W30, if you look at the article I posted for Chris74.

Context is everything - it's allowed only in the context described.

• Moderators

I've added this note at several points, but let me say it again...

Clarification Note from Tom Denham - No protein powder, including egg white protein powder is acceptable during a Whole30. What you choose to do outside of a Whole30 is up to you.

I've added this note at several points, but let me say it again...

So what is the offensive aspect of egg white powder as it pertains to almond flour, ground coffee, lunch meat, jerky?  

It's my first time and this morning was a bit of a scramble - literally. My fiance and I decided to actually be healthy for the FIRST time in our relationship together (6 years) and cut the bad habits, but he is only half way through the book, so he forgot vegetables with the eggs and didn't know how to adjust his egg recipe without butter. BUT, tonight we'll be able to sit down and get ourselves together. My biggest concern is lack of recipes. This will be a completely new way of cooking for us, and I truly have no idea what to make for lunch. HELP!

• Moderators

All protein powders are highly processed foods, some more problematic and some less problematic. You are better off with eggs, so during a Whole30, we want you to eat real eggs, not egg white protein powder even though it is less problematic than other protein powders.

There is no problem with using almond flour as a thickener or to brown meat during a Whole30, we just don't want you making baked goods with it because almonds and almond derivatives should be consumed in moderation if at all and reproducing baked goods with Paleo ingredients is a problem. In Whole30 lingo, it is sex with your pants on.

Most lunch meat does not measure up to Whole30 ingredient standards, but if you can find deli-type meats that do not include off-plan ingredients, we don't object. However, these meats are a concession, not something you should eat. You do better to eat steak, roast, ground beef, etc.

We simply do not mess with coffee during a Whole30. :) We want people to actually do a Whole30 and see how eating real food makes them feel and perform better. Banning coffee would marginalize the program and is not actually necessary for most people. However, many people who do a Whole30 go on to eliminate caffeine from their lives.

All protein powders are highly processed foods, some more problematic and some less problematic. You are better off with eggs, so during a Whole30, we want you to eat real eggs, not egg white protein powder even though it is less problematic than other protein powders.

There is no problem with using almond flour as a thickener or to brown meat during a Whole30, we just don't want you making baked goods with it because almonds and almond derivatives should be consumed in moderation if at all and reproducing baked goods with Paleo ingredients is a problem. In Whole30 lingo, it is sex with your pants on.

Most lunch meat does not measure up to Whole30 ingredient standards, but if you can find deli-type meats that do not include off-plan ingredients, we don't object. However, these meats are a concession, not something you should eat. You do better to eat steak, roast, ground beef, etc.

We simply do not mess with coffee during a Whole30. :) We want people to actually do a Whole30 and see how eating real food makes them feel and perform better. Banning coffee would marginalize the program and is not actually necessary for most people. However, many people who do a Whole30 go on to eliminate caffeine from their lives.

Thank you for these helpful tips, Tom! We're all pretty much newbies here, so your expertise and insights are very helpful as we all adjust to a new way of eating and develop new relationships with our food. Thanks!! 

It's my first time and this morning was a bit of a scramble - literally. My fiance and I decided to actually be healthy for the FIRST time in our relationship together (6 years) and cut the bad habits, but he is only half way through the book, so he forgot vegetables with the eggs and didn't know how to adjust his egg recipe without butter. BUT, tonight we'll be able to sit down and get ourselves together. My biggest concern is lack of recipes. This will be a completely new way of cooking for us, and I truly have no idea what to make for lunch. HELP!

I found that http://nomnompaleo.com/ is a great place to start! Also just google whatever you want to make and put "whole30" and/or "paleo" comes up, you will be pleasantly surprised to see what comes up! 

This is just for the fun of discussing and understanding... but where does the uncooked egg go wrong/become problematic when it's dehydrated and ground up?  I would think the hard boiled egg, which has a higher oxidization rate would be worse. ;)   It's easy to accept this is bad period but when does it go bad? 

For easy recipes and a healthy dose of motivation/humor, I also recommend following Steph at http://stupideasypaleo.com/. She's in the middle of a W30 right now and has been Paleo for a long time. She has some wonderful tips and, if you follow her on FB too, takes great pics of her meals and typically includes links to her recipes. 

Good luck and enjoy! 

Hi All! I am starting today! My fridge and freezer are full of the good stuff. I've never attempted any of this before, so this will be a really interesting! I'm excited for it and grateful for everyone's support. Let the adventure begin...

• Moderators

This is just for the fun of discussing and understanding... but where does the uncooked egg go wrong/become problematic when it's dehydrated and ground up?  I would think the hard boiled egg, which has a higher oxidization rate would be worse. ;)   It's easy to accept this is bad period but when does it go bad? 

With some things, the chemistry of processed foods is much worse than the chemistry of the food it used to be, but I don't know anything especially bad about egg white protein powder. There may be little difference chemically, but food is more than chemistry. During a Whole30, we want you to embrace real whole foods and all that represents. Real, whole foods come out of a different production system than processed foods or the offerings of fast food restaurants. And we want you to adjust to eating meals that include protein, fat, and veggies that must be mixed and matched. We want you to develop your cooking skills. We want to take you from the world of Soylent Green to the world of your great grandparents (who suffered many fewer lifestyle diseases than the current generations). Still fun? :)

Today's my first day and my first attempt. I'm definitely going to miss cheese, bread, and SODA the most, but I am prepared with cauliflower "rice" and zucchini "noodles" and herbal tea (I have no substitutes for cheese but I'm trying not to think about it, lol).

I'm really excited, because I have bad sciatica and everyone I know who has done Whole 30 has reported vast improvements with their inflammation-related pain, but I'm also trying not to get my hopes up...you know, just in case. Losing weight would be great, too, but that's secondary for me.

I research a thousand recipes on Pinterest, did a ton of grocery shopping on Saturday, and my mom very kindly prepared all my meals for the week yesterday (one of the reasons I usually get fast food is because I can't stand long enough to cook anything, and my mom's really supportive about my chronic pain). I am READY! 

Hi everyone!  This is my first official Whole30 starting today, but I've been eating about 85% this way since April.  When I was doing my best and sticking the closest to Whole30, I found that so many of the little health issues I battle (that no doctor can figure out) disappeared and I felt amazing.  So I decided to do a full Whole30 to get the maximum benefit of healing and recovery.  I am definitely grain and dairy sensitive - my own reintroduction diet has shown me this - so I am not really planning on any reintroduction of gluten and probably not of dairy either.  I will likely play with legumes, some sugar, etc afterwards, but I know from experience after eating like this for a week, I won't even want that yucky stuff!

I am surrounded by supportive people, though I haven't yet started transitioning my children to Paleo-style eating, so I will still be around some of the tempting foods-without-brakes, but I am going to use this time to work my children's transition (they are 1 and 3) some more.  

This morning I had my cup of coffee with pure unsweetened coconut milk, a 2 egg scramble with broccoli, carrots, cabbage, zucchini all done up in some ghee (I think ghee is allowed during Whole 30, right?!?) and some carrots on the side because I wanted some crunch.  It was delicious and 3.5 hours later I'm still pleasantly not hungry.  Lunch is always the hard meal for me, so we will see how that goes.

I am in! This is my first Whole30. I have been slowly removing food types since January (first sugar and wheat, then grains and then legumes) and I am excited (albeit a little nervous!) to experience this type of focused experiment with my body. It's been really amazing since January to see the changes and I think this is going to REALLY take it to the next level. 

I can't believe I am not going to weigh myself for a whole month...

Good luck everyone!

P.S. Kristine - maybe on the 4th you could bring a Whole30 dish (or two) to your sisters with you that everyone, including you, can enjoy? Also, maybe say that "It's looks delicious but I am doing an experiment to see if I have any food sensitivities so I will pass on _____ for now." 

I've started today.  A little bit frightened as I've never done anything this strict before, but I have tested positive for so many food sensitivities and have severe arthritis in my hip, that I'm willing to give it a go. 

My biggest concern is lack of recipes. This will be a completely new way of cooking for us, and I truly have no idea what to make for lunch. HELP!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

There is a recipe sharing section on this forum, here: http://forum.whole9life.com/forum/25-recipe-sharing/

Popular cookbooks you will see folks referring to here are Well Fed by Melissa Joulwan (also has a website at http://www.theclothesmakethegirl.com/) and Paleo Comfort Foods by Julie and Charles Mayfield. It Starts with Food also has several recipes in the back of the book.

Of course, you can google Whole30 and Paleo recipes, but look at recipes you might find online with a critical eye.  Unless it's from a Whole30 approved site, double-check the ingredient list to be sure each such recipe is, in fact, compliant with Whole30 (some are not).

Lunch ideas:

- tuna, chicken, or egg salad made with homemade paleo mayo (Melissa Joulwan's website has a great video on how to make the mayo). Serve with your favorite veggie or salad.

- sardines, sauerkraut, and avocado

- prosciutto with your favorite veggie or salad and healthy fat

- your favorite protein with gazpacho (I particularly love the Whole9 Basic Farmers Market Gazpacho here: http://whole9life.com/2012/07/summer-soups/)

My biggest concern is lack of recipes. This will be a completely new way of cooking for us, and I truly have no idea what to make for lunch. HELP!

Chowstalker  is also a great site for recipe ideas. There is a tab for Whole 30 recipes, and once you sign in (it's free), you can mark recipes to go into your "favorites" tab, for easy reference.

Archived