A couple more random questions

cayenne

I have been chugging along really well so far-since April. Three things-How the heck can you boil eggs without having the shell stick to all the egg white and get tossed in the trash? I have tried "not boiling" them for 15 min etc. I have NOT tried salted water-is that the trick?

Non-stick cooking spray-OK way to save a couple calories?

Full fat coconut milk vs low fat-do we care? I have been using the low fat version.

I am not counting calories-just being aware as weight loss is a good thing for me. Not the only thing-but really high on the list.

Oh, one more thing-does removing night shades help osteoarthritis? Not just RA(autoimmune type) but the wear and tear type?

FYI- I eat 1-2 fruits a day(no more) and really limit the nuts.

Thanks all!

How the heck can you boil eggs without having the shell stick to all the egg white and get tossed in the trash? I have tried "not boiling" them for 15 min etc. I have NOT tried salted water-is that the trick?

Non-stick cooking spray-OK way to save a couple calories?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Here's how I boil eggs and it always works for me. Put eggs in pan with enough water to cover the eggs. Cover pan with lid. Bring water to boil, and when water comes to boil, shut off heat but leave lid on pan. Set timer for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes, drain water from the pan, then rinse eggs under cold running water (I usually rinse at least 3 times while still in pan). 

Non-stick cooking spray typically contains soy lecithin, which makes it non-compliant for Whole30. 

• Moderators

Boiling eggs. I don't think there is a fool-proof method to boil eggs that guarantees you can peel the shell off easily. As I understand it, the issue is the freshness of the eggs. Old eggs can be peeled after boiling easy, but fresh eggs maintain a tight seal between the inner membrane and the shell. So the real trick may be to make sure your eggs are several weeks old before boiling them. By the way, I prepare boiled eggs just like GFChris, but take mine out of the hot water after 10 minutes.

Non-stick cooking spray is full of nasty things to which you should not expose yourself. Maybe more importantly, you probably need more fat in your life, not less, if you are serious about losing weight. Low fat/low calorie eating is a major contributor to the obesity epidemic in developed countries.

You are experiencing theft when you buy low-fat coconut milk. They make it low-fat by thinning it with water. It is more cost effective to buy regular coconut milk and either use less or thin it with water yourself if you don't want a lot of richness.

If nightshades contribute to inflammation for YOU, removing them might help with osteoarthritis. If you can't identify inflammation due to nightshades in your diet, removing them is likely to make no difference. I found the following article on this topic interesting: http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=george&dbid=62

Archived