Leg pain at night,unable to sleep without medications

Have you seen a doctor? Does the doctor prescribe the medication? If so, take the medication. Being in pain increases the stress levels in your body. So does not sleeping. I don't think avoiding all medication is the way to go, nor do I believe taking it will ruin your Whole30.

I want to chime in with my two cents worth. Pain meds certainly have their place, and I've had to take them in order to sleep in certain times in my life. But, one thing that helped take the edge off and help me calm down and sense the pain less so I could sleep despite was a relaxation CD specifically for pain relief. The one I used was from Hemi Sync called "Pain Management", though I know there are others out there. It's a bit hokey, but has some music and some words to help you calm down and feel more in control of the pain and count you down to sleep in the meantime. For those days where I was on the verge of taking pain meds because the pain was almost too much, the CD almost always allowed me to go without it. I had a friend that had surgery and due to allergic reactions was unable to take pain meds after, so I sent a copy her way and she relied on this very heavily with good success. Something to consider. I'm in no way implying the pain is in your head and can thus be eliminated just by a CD, and if feel you need pain meds - take them! But, if you're looking for an alternative to at least try to lessen your focus on pain on the days when you can get by without meds but still need a bit of help sleeping, it's a relatively inexpensive option to try.

Archived