Hashimoto's and autoimmune protocol

I'm sorry if this is has been answered somewhere already.

I know some people have been cured (or dramatically improved in symptoms) of their Hashimoto's after following Whole30.  Was this only with the autoimmune protocol or is that not necessarily key?  I have Hashi's and the thought of giving up eggs (I raise chickens in my little backyard in Albuquerque) and tomatoes (I have 8 plants growing) is daunting.  I will if I have to and now is a good a time as any since the tomatoes haven't yet ripened.  At least I wouldn't be tossing or giving away bags of tomatoes without knowing it was important to my health. 

Also, are you often able to reintroduce those foods after awhile?  I haven't yet gotten to that chapter in the book so the answers may be there.

Just checking to see if anyone else knew.  Thanks.

The biggest thing that I have read about with Hashimotos is gluten. The gluten molecule is similar to the thyroid molecule, so the body starts attacking the thyroid, mistaking it for gluten. Give up the gluten and the attacks diminish. You may not be able to undo any damage, but perhaps stop or slow down further attacks.

I'll admit I don't have hashis, but I am hypo and have done a ton of reading on it. Others may have more experience to share, but that's what I've come across in my reading.

That is true about gluten.  There is an extremely high correlation of celiac with Hashi's.  I am gluten intolerant.  If and when I start reintroducing foods, gluten won't be one of them.  Thanks for the reminder.  A bulk of my veggies come from the the no-no list of the AIP so I would really be struggling.  I wouldn't miss eggs or nuts all that much, but the veggies would hurt since I am just now becoming a veggie lover and the ones I love are off limits.  I think I'll keep up with the Whole30 for a bit and see how I go.  Right now I'm off all thyroid meds (about a week now), but I might be starting to feel some effect from that.  If I need to try something more drastic, I will, but I've been on thyroid meds since 2007 so it's not like I'm going to be cured in 60 days or even a year maybe.  I'll take any improvement I can get though. :)

Thanks!

Sarah Wilson, an Australian blogger with hashi's, found that sugar was a bigger problem. She's even written a book about quitting sugar. Not everything she eats is Whole30 complaint, but she's got some useful stuff on her site (her hashi's experience will probably be useful for you), and did a nice few posts a few weeks ago about chicken roasting and making bone broth from the leftovers. Might be worth a look for you.

I have Hashimoto's and I've had dramatic results from the regular Whole30.  I have considered doing the Whole30 AIP but that seems to be across the threshhold from what I'm mentally able to consider doing right now.  As soon as I give it serious thought, I find that I have to take a couple of weeks entirely off of Whole30-style eating just to balance out the freakouts I get from thinking about it.  I do understand from folks who follow the AIP that they find it very helpful.  Some day I may get there.  But for now, the regular Whole30 has improved my life so much I would take up your whole evening describing the changes.  So I'm sticking with that, because, frankly, I know I CAN.

All of that said, if you feel comfortable approaching the AIP (and especially if you feel strongly that you'd benefit greatly from doing the AIP over the regular Whole30), there's absolutely no reason not to go for it.  There is a group on here that offers AIP support, and they are eating great food and enjoying the results.

I have hashi's and am considering doing an AIP protocol for a minimum of 30 days and then reintroducing things to see how they affect me. I feel that if I do that and get obvious reactions (or not) from them then it might be easier to say goodbye to the offenders. 

That being said, I really hope I don't have a reaction to eggs. 

Thanks for your post.  I could have written this.  I have chickens and a garden full of fresh nightshades and Hashimotos...ugh!  I have done one Whole 30 with great results and lowered my antibodies by 100 but still have a long way to go.  I too am trying to do the AIP protocol as well but it is such a change!  I think all I was eating before whole 30 was everything on the AIP protocol list to avoid.  Would love to keep this thread going to see how everyone else is coping and what their triggers are.  

I have hashis, it's pretty much under control, but I also have IBS and some reactive hypoglycemia. I am doing the AIP with no FODMAPS, so pretty limited. But I've been grain/FODMAP free for a few months and I've always had a nightshade sensitivity, so it's not that much of a stretch. The eggs/dairy/wind/choclate are the big changes for me.

It probably depends on how damaged your thyroid is. If you just started with hashis, you may be able to reverse it. I was GF for a year and tried going off my synthroid, and no go. But like I said, I've had issues my whole life, so you may be different.

I would consider going Grain Free (and eliminate seed oils) forever. They are big inflammatories. Chris Kresser has an excellent series on hypothyroid and this one is particularly interesting:

http://chriskresser.com/the-gluten-thyroid-connection

• 10 months later...

I have Hashimoto's and I've had dramatic results from the regular Whole30.  I have considered doing the Whole30 AIP but that seems to be across the threshhold from what I'm mentally able to consider doing right now.  As soon as I give it serious thought, I find that I have to take a couple of weeks entirely off of Whole30-style eating just to balance out the freakouts I get from thinking about it.  I do understand from folks who follow the AIP that they find it very helpful.  Some day I may get there.  But for now, the regular Whole30 has improved my life so much I would take up your whole evening describing the changes.  So I'm sticking with that, because, frankly, I know I CAN.

All of that said, if you feel comfortable approaching the AIP (and especially if you feel strongly that you'd benefit greatly from doing the AIP over the regular Whole30), there's absolutely no reason not to go for it.  There is a group on here that offers AIP support, and they are eating great food and enjoying the results.

Hi Amy, I would really like to do a Whole 30 AIP. Can you tell me where I might find that group? 

Thanks so much! 

I've come across several bloggers out there with Hashimoto's who've had results with AIP eating. If you do decide to go down the AIP road, check out Paleo Mom! She's the best.

AIP seems really scary. It's true. And you will go through stages of food grief. But it's not too terrible once you find things you like. It can be soothing to eat the same simple meals over and over. I won't lie, it sucks to eat out, but it's doable!

I'll try to find the blogs but there are people who do it for years. It can be done.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd love to talk with some of you, and get your experiences .I just got hashimotos diagnosis. but its "not bad enough to treat" according to my doctor. They will just watch my labs until the labs are bad enough for thyroid medicine. That's not a good plan as far as I'm concerned. I have been doing research for months because I suspected this for a while. I have done tons of research and listened to the thyroid summit, and made a game plan. I started working that plan for better sleep, less stress, only decaf coffee, ;( which was depressing and some gentle supplements to start. My head feels better, just my body feels like crap.  And I know I have to do this whole30 long term, and maybe even go farther with eggs and the AIP. I know logically that it takes time for repair of body tissue, maybe months or years.

but.

I have been  angry the last two weeks at the thought of never eating gluten again. I have a pretty good diet normally like mostly natural and unprocessed, and probably 80 to 90 percent paleo.  but it's not good enough. So I've been eating gluten and I feel gross and bloated. I've avoided telling anyone. I don't want advice, sympathy or anything. I want to feel not crappy. And the last two weeks? really busy at work and eating in restaurants, poor choices, gluten more than I ever would normally. It's like I'm "acting out" because of this thing.

I took some positive steps to get back on the "whole30 wagon" (planning, buying groceries, cooking healthy choices)     But it sucks to just go out with friends. that is the hardest. And today I wanted ice cream, just to buy some stupid ice cream from the store. They didn't even have the coconut kind which I would have eaten. only milk based. And sherbet? is just sugar. I ended up making my own with coconut milk and mango. (I know it's not whole30, I just wanted comfort food, because of all the "I can't haves)

I love cheese, it used to be my thing. A whole30 a few years back broke my cheese addiction, same for peanut butter. Now, I've given up regular coffee. And gluten. My joke is I can only have bread and water, but not bread. ;)     

For the record, I now understand how angry my type 2 diabetes mom felt  and she wasn't even giving up gluten, she just wanted to be able to eat whatever she wanted. I kept telling her "no one can eat whatever they want." The truth is, anyone can eat whatever they want, they just have to pay for it later.

Archived