Brands of coconut milk that are compliant?

So far every container of coconut milk I've found in my local grocery store and in Trader Joe's has carageenan in it.

There is also a Whole Foods in my town and several locally-based health food markets that I haven't made it to yet.

Can anyone recommend a brand to watch for?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks everyone! I didn't see any canned coconut milk at Trader Joe's, just in the shelf-stable cartons. It's nowhere near to my house, and I work it in on my Costco trips. Two of the local health-food markets are on my way home. I'm going to check them tonight.

Thanks everyone! I didn't see any canned coconut milk at Trader Joe's, just in the shelf-stable cartons. It's nowhere near to my house, and I work it in on my Costco trips. Two of the local health-food markets are on my way home. I'm going to check them tonight.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The canned coconut milk in Trader Joe's is in the aisle with the dressings, oils and condiments.

When buying canned coconut milk, if you don't buy any of the compliant brands suggested here, when you check your ingredient list, make sure it doesn't contain any form of sulfites. For example, potassium metabisulfite is in many canned coconut milks: any brand that contains that ingredient is non-compliant on the W30.

Check the Asian foods section for the canned coconut milk; it won't be in the same spot as the cartons. I second the Native Forest brand...it's organic and the cans are BPA free. Good price on Amazon too.

I've unknowingly been using coconut milk that has microcrystalline cellulose and potassium metabisulfites in it. I'm on Day 7 of my Whole 30 - is this a "I need to start over" offense, or do I just need to be more careful about what I buy in the future? I gave into the fact that my grocery store's brand is a whole $2 cheaper than a can of Thai Kitchen, and the closest Whole Foods or Trader Joe's is a good 40 minutes away!

Unfortunately sulfites are one of the things that are really bad for the body. I would stop using it immediately and, if at all possible, I'd add another 7 days to my W30 so you get the benefits of 30 clean days. Have you tried Amazon for coconut milk, that's where I get mine. I'm in the UK but I get 12 cans of TRS coconut milk, delivered free of charge for just over $19

The Goya Brand has no additives and is usually available in your local supermarket. Look in the canned milk section or the Hispanic Foods section.

Good! I just bought this today... about $1 cheaper than Whole foods 365 brand. Was just about to run in the other room and read the label!  

The Goya Brand has no additives and is usually available in your local supermarket. Look in the canned milk section or the Hispanic Foods section.

Good! I just bought this today... about $1 cheaper than Whole foods 365 brand. Was just about to run in the other room and read the label!  

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sorry to disappoint you, but the Goya brand of canned coconut milk  is NOT Whole30 compliant, as it contains potassium metabusulfite.

Trader Joe's lower fat version has coconut milk and water... The regular fat coconut milk has guar gum added.

The lower fat version is lovely for thinning mayo based salad dressing ( where a lil less won't be missed) and in cauliflower mashed "potatoes"

This post is making me want to re-read the sciency sections in ISWF about sulfites and additives ... I avoid em 😄but not sure why!

Sorry to disappoint you, but the Goya brand of canned coconut milk  is NOT Whole30 compliant, as it contains potassium metabusulfite.

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

I know!!! I realized this when I went and looked at the can...  :(  darn it.  Trying the thai brand, but finding that Whole foods 365 seems to be the nicest so far.

The brand I buy (in Canada) is Aroy-D, canned, which I THINK is mentioned around here in a blog post somewhere as being compliant. It contains just coconut extract and water. It's in the baking aisle of my supermarket, right next to the condensed and evaporated milks.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived