New prostate cancer study for fish oil is concerning.

MTCFGuy

Hi all...I read a summary of a new study tonight on NBC. (http://t.nbcnews.com/health/fish-oils-may-raise-prostate-cancer-risks-study-confirms-6C10597283). Needless to say I am concerned with what I read, especially since I am a male with a family history of prostate cancer. What recommendations do smarter people than I have over this study. From what I read it appears that EPA only would be safer? Would vegetable sources of omegas like Udo's be better than nothing for males in light of this study? Thanks for your feedback and consideration.

• Moderators

Two thoughts...

Major media outlets like NBC are notorious for painting scary negative pictures from reports that a scientist would not find so scary. It goes on all the time with science/diet reporting. It gets attention, creates a lot of buzz, and is easy to do. New studies come out every day and about once per month, one of them gets sensationalized in the popular media. Then Paleo bloggers respond, pointing out the problems with the research, contradictions, mischaracterizations, etc.

Fish oil pills can be a problem. Getting fresh, undamaged fish oil is a challenge. The Hartwigs do not promote lifelong fish oil consumption. They recommend loading with fish oil when you are getting started improving your diet and health, but push you to get to the point where you are getting your omega3 needs met through what you eat.

I quit taking fish oil supplements over a year ago. I eat canned salmon at least every other day and sometimes have canned sardines on the days I am not eating salmon. I also frequently eat grass fed beef, which is a source of omega3s. It really is easy for me to eat enough salmon and sardines to make a fish oil supplement unnecessary.

Additional note: A review of the study in question by my favorite source concerning supplements - http://examine.com/blog/fish-oil-and-your-prostate/

I do take a fermented cod liver oil that's never been heated during the process, so I feel it's the best option for me. My husband and I eat fish occasionally, but I really don't like fishy fish. I can only take tuna in tuna salad with plenty of mayo and relish (and hubby adds HB eggs). Salmon...if I have it more than once every other week, I get sick of it in less than a month. I am not in an area where I can get much fresh fish, which doesn't help matters. Frozen is never as good as fresh! I do sushi when I'm not on a W30, but still, not often enough for me to feel good about not taking the FCLO.

When I travel to places that do have fresh fish, I have it, but I've been travelling an average of once a month or so. Because of that reason, hubby and I take the cold-processed FCLO. If we start eating more fish regularly, I'll possibly start taking less, but I have to say that it has my health on a super-huge awesome streak right now, likely due to the high levels of bio-available vitamin D in the oil (vit. D is stored in the liver). Seriously - the number of times I've gotten sick in the almost year I've been taking it can be counted on one hand. This is coming from the girl who, in college, ended up with a staph infection, multiple UTIs, pneumonia, mono, a strep infection in my joints (I don't get strep THROAT symptoms...it colonizes there and then goes on to attack my joints in what would become scarlet fever if not treated), and an almost-monthly cold or stomach bug. I used to get EVERYTHING. Now, I get almost nothing, and that change is exactly when I started the FCLO.

Archived