Before my Whole30 I never thought I'd...

... like olives!

I have always wanted to like olives. I have tried them whenever they've been offered, but I've never liked them. Being Italian American,and having lived in Spain and Italy, I've almost felt like an olive outcast!

On Wednesday evening (day17) we had dinner on the beach. My chopped salad with grilled chicken and balsamic vinaigrette from the local greek.restaurant had 3 calamata olives in it. I took a bite expecting my normal reaction of dissapointment after not liking them again but this time, something had changed. I don't know if it was the late afternoon sun or the sound of the waves and the seagulls, but I thoroughly enjoyed my olives and I can now confidently say to olives "O-live you!"

How have YOUR tastebuds changed?

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

... like coconut oil and ghee in my coffee.

Pre-Whole30, my coffee at home would have soy milk and out at restaurants would have half and half. 

As a result of completing my W30, I no longer want soy, and when I reintroduced dairy and tried organic half and half in my coffee, I decided I now like the coconut oil/ghee combo much better. I can even tolerate black coffee now when dining out.

like my own cooking. I had to eat out a couple of times recently, and I was shocked to realize that I actively disliked the food and couldn't wait to get home to eat my own home cooking. Before Whole30 I would have said I was a terrible cook. Not any more!!!

I hated sweet potatoes and squash before I started my whole 30, but with not a lot of choice for starchy carbs I though I'd have to give them a go. At first I would obliterate the taste with chilli and salt and cumin and whatever spice I had to hand - but through the course of my whole 30 I found I actually enjoyed them. I still couldn't eat a baked one - don't like the mushy texture when they are baked or mashed, but roasted and fried in a hash they are delicious :)

......actually be OK with what I see in the mirror...... find a way of healthy eating I can stick with and support my active lifestyle(not be hungry and miserable).......be able to have cookies,candy in the house and not obsess over it........be desperate to like eggplant and okra(the only 2 veggies I don't like-and still don't)

like my own cooking. I had to eat out a couple of times recently, and I was shocked to realize that I actively disliked the food and couldn't wait to get home to eat my own home cooking. Before Whole30 I would have said I was a terrible cook. Not any more!!!

I was shocked by this too  :) Now we only eat out on super-duper special occasions and sometimes not even then!

My son is getting ready to graduate from college & he recently said that he hopes he can find a girlfriend who cooks the same stuff I do :D

I was shocked by this too  :) Now we only eat out on super-duper special occasions and sometimes not even then!

My son is getting ready to graduate from college & he recently said that he hopes he can find a girlfriend who cooks the same stuff I do :D

_________________________________________________________________________________________

That's cute - now tell him to move on over to the kitchen to learn how to cook well and attract a good woman.  Stinker college kids.  :lol:   (I teach those people and I know how hungry they are and how they just kind of expect food to fall off of trees.  :lol:  )

Congrats to us on loving what we cook! :wub: :wub:

....learn to love eating fermented vegetables, kraut, kimchi, salsa to the point where I can't go a day without some zingy fermented goodie along with my meal!

...eat mass quantities of veg at breakfast.

...be able to put together meals so fast.

...drink black coffee happily.

I drank black decaf coffee tonight! Not my favorite but not horrible.

I also never thought I would NOT feel deprived especially at family dinners. I don't feel like I'm exerting any willpower, just enjoying following the rules. This is what I've meditated over and visualized-- food not having power over me. Taking out the addictive foods really works wonders on brain chemistry!

@kayell. What do you do with kimchi? What do you eat it with? And hot or cold?

Pulled pork or eggs most commonly, but I like it with lots of things. Tuna straight out of the can with kimchi or one of the spicier krauts is great. Heating fermented foods kills off the beneficial probiotic organisms, so I don't ever heat them.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived