Before my Whole30 I never thought I'd...

@missmunchie ll. I said that tonight about a half of a boneless pork chop. With some eggs and maybe cabbage! (Unfortunately we ate all the brussel.sprouts!)

Speaking.of...@starrynight85 you should try brussel sprouts if you havent, and use nom nom paleos recipe!

@3rdtime-- I know... I always look at foods and think... could I add MORE evoo to this?

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

... like olives!

I have always wanted to like olives. I have tried them whenever they've been offered, but I've never liked them. Being Italian American,and having lived in Spain and Italy, I've almost felt like an olive outcast!

On Wednesday evening (day17) we had dinner on the beach. My chopped salad with grilled chicken and balsamic vinaigrette from the local greek.restaurant had 3 calamata olives in it. I took a bite expecting my normal reaction of dissapointment after not liking them again but this time, something had changed. I don't know if it was the late afternoon sun or the sound of the waves and the seagulls, but I thoroughly enjoyed my olives and I can now confidently say to olives "O-live you!"

How have YOUR tastebuds changed?

I never thought I would like olives, but I've found that I'm kind of picky about what olives I like.

I've also found that I actually like kale, and thoroughly enjoy eating it wilted down in some coconut oil and water with garlic.

I also never thought I would actually get up an hour earlier in the morning just so I could eat my breakfast prior to going to work at 630 am.

Like Amy S, our  family really prefers our home cooked meals to eating out.

I was pleasantly surprised by my newfound preference for kale chips over potato chips and coconut milk/banana/raw cacao smoothie over ice cream. While these are still treat foods instead of regular menu items, I'm really please at preferring a healthier alternative when I am looking for a treat. 

Oh, and forget soda. Ick. I was not a big soda drinker before, but would occasionally enjoy one. Now I can't stand how sweet they are, and the thought of the HFCS grosses me out!

I never thought I would ponder eating something quick and non-compliant (I'm post Whole30 now and eating mostly compliant most of the time) and instead fix up a quicker meal at home based on the template.  And enjoy it a lot more.  And eat a lot more than I would have if I'd gone non-compliant.

Like bell peppers.  Have hated them since I was a child and used to pick them out of sauces, etc.  Have tried them off and on as an adult and never really meshed with them.  Since Whole30, I've been adding them to my omelets and today actually put red & yellow in my psuedo spaghetti sauce (just the sauce, not on anything).  I still don't love the green, but red and yellow totally rock.  I even managed a little in my salad the other day.  Totally weird, lol.

...not feel deprived at group/family dinners when everyone is gorging on sugar and glutentastic things. I am so turned off by sugary, doughy things thanks to w30!

And

...feel full from a bowl of coconut oil sauteed kale, ground beef, and tomatoes.

And

...be able to go 6 hours without eating and without turning into crazy, crank monster. Now I get hungry but don't feel that horrible headache, crankiness.

Like bell peppers. Have hated them since I was a child and used to pick them out of sauces, etc. Have tried them off and on as an adult and never really meshed with them. Since Whole30, I've been adding them to my omelets and today actually put red & yellow in my psuedo spaghetti sauce (just the sauce, not on anything). I still don't love the green, but red and yellow totally rock. I even managed a little in my salad the other day. Totally weird, lol.

I know! I used to only enjoy them cooked, but now I love them raw! Try orange ones too! I have also noticed that celery tastes much sweeter abd yummier. Who knew?!

Like Amy S, our family really prefers our home cooked meals to eating out.

I was pleasantly surprised by my newfound preference for kale chips over potato chips and coconut milk/banana/raw cacao smoothie over ice cream. While these are still treat foods instead of regular menu items, I'm really please at preferring a healthier alternative when I am looking for a treat.

Oh, and forget soda. Ick. I was not a big soda drinker before, but would occasionally enjoy one. Now I can't stand how sweet they are, and the thought of the HFCS grosses me out!

Do you make your own kale chips?

Be able to go 13 days without logging in to myfitnesspal, weighing food or drinking a green smoothie.

I am not there yet....I am still using fitday to hold me accountable. I long for the day when I don't need those tools anymore!

I too am at the point where eating out is just disgusting. I would rather fast. My 16yo son is obsessing about how he is going to eat well when he goes off to college. This, my child, who would eat nothing but junk....until I started cooking real, whole foods with ghee, coconut oil, etc. he does cook, and the times we have to go meet friends out for dinner, he stays home and cooks for himself.

BTW, has anyone tried using raw, shredded cabbage as opposed to spaghetti squash or cauliflower rice? We make chili from the Well-Fed cookbook, then put raw cabbage in the bottom of the bowl and top with chili. Then garnish with chopped onions, avocado, cilantro.....delicious!

BTW, has anyone tried using raw, shredded cabbage as opposed to spaghetti squash or cauliflower rice? We make chili from the Well-Fed cookbook, then put raw cabbage in the bottom of the bowl and top with chili. Then garnish with chopped onions, avocado, cilantro.....delicious!

Mmm

Havent tried raw cabbage with meals(outside of salads) but I do love chopping it up and sauteeing it with a piece of.bacon or bacon fat and having it for.breakfast with my eggs. Delish.

Your idea sounds great! Will have to try.

I am not there yet....I am still using fitday to hold me accountable. I long for the day when I don't need those tools anymore!

I too am at the point where eating out is just disgusting. I would rather fast. My 16yo son is obsessing about how he is going to eat well when he goes off to college. This, my child, who would eat nothing but junk....until I started cooking real, whole foods with ghee, coconut oil, etc. he does cook, and the times we have to go meet friends out for dinner, he stays home and cooks for himself.

What do you need to be accountable for? What will happen if you don't log your food? Have you actually tried to not do it?

Try it for a day - I dare you!!

I've tried shredded cabbage - it's a pretty good substitute, although I try to not have too much raw cabbage because of not so pleasant side effects :P

eat and enjoy so many leftovers!

have NO trouble passing on my favorite fast food (Panda Express).

eat so much fat!

go 6 hours between meals and not get a miserable headache.

get my kids to eat curry......TWICE! (my daughter didn't like the eggplant, but she ate everything else)

feel full and completely satisfied after eating. (I always craved something sweet after meals.)

feel so good about myself and my body.

Do you make your own kale chips?

Kale Chip Recipe:

1 head of kale

1 slivered red onion (I use a mandolin to sliver)

1 1/2 cups raw cashews, soaked in filtered water for 2 to 3 hours

4 TBSP lemon juice

1 1/2 TBSP raw apple cider vinegar

1/4 tsp sea salt

1/4 to 1/2 cup filtered water

Grind up soaked cashews with lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, salt, and 1/4 cup of water. Grind into a smooth paste. I use a mini food processor to grind. Add more water as necessary.

Toss mixture with kale and red onion. Lay out on dehydrator sheets, and dehydrate at 105 degrees for at least 12 hours. I've had to go longer, but I live in a very humid region.

Also, if you join Green Polkadot box (www.greenpolkadotbox.com), all their food is organic, non GMO, and it ships right to your front door. Those weeks I don't have time to make kale chips, I order from them. They are priced well, as is much of their inventory.

Oops, meant to write a comment. Yes, I've gone days and weeks without logging in, but it is the one tool that holds me accountable. Before I was in my 40's I could have a day or two of poor eating and I didn't have to pay. I worked out enough to counter the effects of poor eating. However, I have always tended to eat healthy, even though it was the misled Conventional Wisdom side of eating "healthy."

Fast forward, in my 40's I've had to be careful, even with going Paleo. There are no brake foods that I know I can't indulge in, because I can't stop. Logging in to fitday keeps me from grabbing a spoon and going for that spoonful of almond butter. It makes me think.....hmmm,.....this is a no brake food, one scoop leads to two, leads to three.....do I really want to log this in and see this damage.

So, therefore, right now, it is my little accountability thing. Maybe this forum can become my accountability thing, because I much rather engage with people then fitday.

It sounds like you just need to be accountable to yourself! You know the implications of 1, 2, 3, 4 extra spoons of nut butter....you say yes or no! :)

Maybe try starting a log on here - it's somewhere to write it down, people can comment or suggest ways to stay on track if you find yourself veering off! It is really liberating to not be attached to the numbers - after weighing/ measuring/counting everything I've eaten (and my husband's food as well!) for the past 3ish years this has been a huge weight lifted off my shoulders. It used to stress me out big time!

It sounds like you just need to be accountable to yourself! You know the implications of 1, 2, 3, 4 extra spoons of nut butter....you say yes or no! :)

Maybe try starting a log on here - it's somewhere to write it down, people can comment or suggest ways to stay on track if you find yourself veering off! It is really liberating to not be attached to the numbers - after weighing/ measuring/counting everything I've eaten (and my husband's food as well!) for the past 3ish years this has been a huge weight lifted off my shoulders. It used to stress me out big time!

This is a stupid question, but how do I start a log on this forum?

I am not super legalistic about weighing and measuring things. I use to be......back in the day of counting Weight Watchers points, and that made me nuts. I may weigh certain things, but for the most part I eyeball. So fitday doesn't make me nuts per say. It's more of a time commitment which the more you track, the faster you become. Maybe I'm making excuses not to let it go? I've dealt with food and body image issues since I was 12 and I am now almost 49. That's a long time to have your head wrapped around a number on the scale. It's not healthy, but it is baby steps getting my mind as healthy as my body. I've been doing Paleo for close to 3 years, and I can say the longer I am Paleo, the better I am becoming all around.

One reason I wanted to do Whole30 is to keep me accountable for 30 days, so that I don't fall off the wagon AT ALL. Meaning, last night we were invited to a party. In the past, I would have drank wine, I would not have eaten dinner before going, I would have picked at the stuff they offered to eat looking for the best Paleo options (which is nothing). I would have stayed out way to late, drank too much wine, and felt awful today. Instead, I ate dinner before I left, I didn't drink, I was ready to go at a decent hour, and today I feel great.

But......I would like to start a log on this forum. That is an awesome idea! How do I do it?

This is a stupid question, but how do I start a log on this forum?

I am not super legalistic about weighing and measuring things. I use to be......back in the day of counting Weight Watchers points, and that made me nuts. I may weigh certain things, but for the most part I eyeball. So fitday doesn't make me nuts per say. It's more of a time commitment which the more you track, the faster you become. Maybe I'm making excuses not to let it go? I've dealt with food and body image issues since I was 12 and I am now almost 49. That's a long time to have your head wrapped around a number on the scale. It's not healthy, but it is baby steps getting my mind as healthy as my body. I've been doing Paleo for close to 3 years, and I can say the longer I am Paleo, the better I am becoming all around.

One reason I wanted to do Whole30 is to keep me accountable for 30 days, so that I don't fall off the wagon AT ALL. Meaning, last night we were invited to a party. In the past, I would have drank wine, I would not have eaten dinner before going, I would have picked at the stuff they offered to eat looking for the best Paleo options (which is nothing). I would have stayed out way to late, drank too much wine, and felt awful today. Instead, I ate dinner before I left, I didn't drink, I was ready to go at a decent hour, and today I feel great.

But......I would like to start a log on this forum. That is an awesome idea! How do I do it?

There's a section - "your whole 30 log" - plenty of people post in their logs everyday :)

Well done for changing your attitude and actions in relation to the party!

I am also a newly reformed sweet potato person!  I'm really pretty shocked about it, since on the first day I had to force them down, but now I sometimes have them with two meals a day!

Try cutting them into cubes or fries, wrapping in tinfoil and cooking on the grill! Deliecious. I also enjoy the smoked paprika and smoked chili powder combination on my sweet potatoes (however cooked) for a nice kick!

Archived