Before my Whole30 I never thought I'd...

I really never thought I could give up dairy for any amount of time... Now that I am done with the 30+ I still have only tried a few bites of cheese. Not missing dairy. And I was a milk, yogurt, ice cream and cheese in every meal type of person! Now I just seeth at dairy commercials for how duped I have been for so long.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What do you need to be accountable for? What will happen if you don't log your food? Have you actually tried to not do it?

Try it for a day - I dare you!!

I've tried shredded cabbage - it's a pretty good substitute, although I try to not have too much raw cabbage because of not so pleasant side effects :P

Yesterday was my Day 1 and it was so liberating to ignore my FitnessPal alerts and not log my food. I've always hated logging my food intake, but every fitness program I've done I have been told LOG YOUR FOOD, LOG YOUR FOOD!

Happy to say, I didn't log a thing yesterday and I deleted my alerts. I love it!

• 3 weeks later...

...eat animal protein (I was vegan for many years)

...eat added fat...on purpose!

...not weigh myself a couple times per day

Are we the same person?

Adding fat on purpose is the one that really astounds me, even more than eating meat. But I should add:

...feed my children meat.

• 2 weeks later...

Stand in the grocery aisles wrinkling my nose up at package after package of food as I find noncompliant ingredients (carrageenan in roasted chicken!) and finally storm out, announcing to myself that I can only shop at Whole Foods.  I never planned to be "that kind of person."  Now I realize, "that kind of person" cares about what goes in her body.

• 3 weeks later...

Anything coconut.  I didn't think I would ever like coconut because that nasty powdery sweet stuff that is coconut flakes grosses me out!  Now, please hand over the coconut!  Unsweetened flakes, butter, oil, meat, vinegar, aminoes sign me up, I am down with it! Oh, I love coconut flavored La Croix! Yummy

• 2 weeks later...

... like coffee without artificial sweeteners. Now I drink it with coconut milk!

... like avocados and olives. I've been missing out!

... like kale. I LOOOOOOVE kale and eat it every day.

... not weigh myself every morning.

... not calorie count or ProPoint every little thing.

... want to add fat. I avoided it before and now... bring it on!

• 1 month later...

Quit drinking diet coke. I was sooooo addicted to this before my whole30. I'd have a 20 oz on the way to work, and drink 2-4 more cans throughout my day. I drank it in place of water. I'd have a can next to my bed at night. It was DISGUSTING!!!! On days when I was hungover I would drink gallons of the stuff. I tried cutting back but I never thought I would be able to drink NO diet coke. 

I have off-roaded here and there in the months following my whole30, and have struggled with moderation (though I am improving significantly) but I have been able to keep diet coke out of my daily diet and out of my off-roading! Of the many changes that I am proud of, this is one of the biggest. I still miss it but I know how bad it is for me....I have equated it with smoking in my mind!

@EmilyT: I'm so with you on the Diet Coke thing. I was majorly addicted to the stuff prior to my first Whole 30 last January. I'd cut back over the years, but never imagined I could completely give it up. Fast forward a year and I think I had one or two over the entire last year and did not really like it at all. But I still remember how good it used to taste and don't want to wake up that dragon, so I just avoid it all together. I stick to unsweetened iced coffee or tea if I need a substitute beverage.

Other things I never thought I'd do/say pre- W30:

•  Not really care about bread/pasta (I used to be a big fan of both.)

•  I used to have a huge sweet tooth. Even off the Whole30, I find it much easier to forgo the crap in the breakroom or desserts that aren't special/worth it.

•  Just eat real food without worrying calories, logging into MyFitnessPal, etc. Except for when I'm on a W30, there are no food groups that are off the table, only some that I only eat on special occasions. 

I love that this thread is still going strong since I began it in July! I still like olives since their inception into my palate 6 months ago!

I never thought I would take a bite of a bagel or pasta (thinking it would taste good) then spit it out b/c it tasted like cardboard. (*just as a paleo girl and not during a whole 30)

I never thought that after date night and having too much wine* (also on paleo not w30) that I would crave salad and steak as my hangover food instead of fried frankenfood.

I never thought that I would be a person who didn't diet and rather changed her lifestyle and eating habits. So thankful for the W30 getting me started on paleo /whole9 living. 6 months now and down 50lbs!

I'm so glad this thread got bumped, I missed it the first time around!

I never thought I would...

make bone broth

roast my own chicken (now I regularly roast two together! thanks NomNomPaleo)

like fennel - dunno why, like it now, awesome with duck fat

drink coconut oil bulletproof coffee (yum! a no dairy "latte"!)

cook things in ghee and duck fat - OMG, it tastes great!

complain about the crappy food on offer when out, eagerly waiting to get home and cook myself

Fast forward a year and I think I had one or two over the entire last year and did not really like it at all. But I still remember how good it used to taste and don't want to wake up that dragon, so I just avoid it all together. I stick to unsweetened iced coffee or tea if I need a substitute beverage.

LOL now see I miss it EVERY DAY. I had one on Christmas day and it was like God himself came down and handed it to me. Which just goes to show I cannot have it again!!! 

Eat breakfast or drink my coffee with just coconut cream.

I have always been a coffee with 18% cream and 1 sugar person. Every morning. And nothing else in my tummy until 10 or 11. Even when I was fairly strict Paleo I wouldn't give that up. I'm on Day 2 of my W30 and have eaten meat, eggs and veggies both mornings as well as really enjoying my coffee with just the creamy stuff I can scoop out of the top of the coconut milk container in the fridge.

Eat breakfast or drink my coffee with just coconut cream.

I have always been a coffee with 18% cream and 1 sugar person. Every morning. And nothing else in my tummy until 10 or 11. Even when I was fairly strict Paleo I wouldn't give that up. I'm on Day 2 of my W30 and have eaten meat, eggs and veggies both mornings as well as really enjoying my coffee with just the creamy stuff I can scoop out of the top of the coconut milk container in the fridge.

I love coconut milk with coffee now! I dont even taste the coconut. It has so much more flavor than milk. Yum.

Try parsnips! I love them!

I tried these for the first time yesterday and was in heaven!!!

Totally! I just discovered these this fall. I love steam/sautéing them with cauliflower and some chicken broth and then putting in the blender for mashed fauxtatoes. Also used them to make a creamy mushroom soup and to make a paleo green bean casserole!!!! Parsnips are awesome!!!!

Archived