Hi all!

This is a bit old post, but a very current topic for me. My cholesterol levels have been always little elevated and that runs in my family (my dad got his first heart attact when he was about 50 years). I took cholesterol tests last year before I had tried whole30 and the values were following:

• HDL: 51
  • LDL: 202
  • Total 278
  • CHOL/HDL: 5.45
  • Triglycerides: 124
  • Triglycerides/HDL: 2.43

My cholesterol values were elevated and I was not too worried about them. I started then Whole30 diet and started eating 5-6 eggs for breakfast (before 1-2 eggs) and after the initial 30 day period I did feel good. However, when I took the tests again, my LDL had skyrocketed and the values were then:

• HDL: 60
  • LDL: 379
  • Total 439
  • CHOL/HDL: 7.3
  • Triglycerides: 127
  • Triglycerides/HDL: 2.12

I have read here that one should not be necessarily concerned about high LDL values if other values are OK...However, my value is super high and I'm wondering if I can still just ignore that..??  And if demographics matter, I'm 33-year-old, have normal weight, exercise 4+ times per week and feel to have a great health overall. Thanks!

Your HDL value is improving.   It is now in the Best range.  Your Trigs are good.   

What scares you?   High trigs can be a marker for diabetes but you don't have that.   Diabetes and heart disease can go hand in hand.

I wouldn't be scared, if I was you.  You know what I would be scared of?  Going on statins and ending up with alzheimers later in life.  Have you read the latest what happens after being on statins for years vs. not?     Your brain needs good fats and taking all of them away with statin drugs can leave you in a care center with Nurse Ratched.  

MV5BMjE4MTQ3ODc4MV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMjYz

• 2 years later...

I've been doing whole30ish for about two years after my initial strict whole30. I just came off a strict whole15 just before vacation and had blood work done days before I left. Doc called me while on vacation and wants to put me on static and coenzime due to high colesterol. I do have family history of heart attach but I also don't have high blood pressure or diabetes like my dad, aunt and grandparents who had heart attacks. I'm 46 and here are my numbers. 

REFERANCE RANGEFCholesterol260  <=199 (mg/dL)
FTriglyceride87<=149 (mg/dL)
FDirect HDL47 >=41 (mg/dL)
FLDL (Calc)196 <=99 (mg/dL)- NOTES  The LDL result was calculated using the Friedewald formula. It overestimates LDL cholesterol for patients with type III hyperlipoproteinemia, and underestimates LDL cholesterol when a patient has not fasted for at least 9 hours or when triglycerides arehigh (particularly >400 mg/dL). In these situations, direct measurement of LDL cholesterol is recommended.FPatient Fasting?Y ("")VERIFIED by Discern Expert.

Any opinions?  I'm worried. 

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Scottyb said:

I've been doing whole30ish for about two years after my initial strict whole30. I just came off a strict whole15 just before vacation and had blood work done days before I left. Doc called me while on vacation and wants to put me on static and coenzime due to high colesterol. I do have family history of heart attach but I also don't have high blood pressure or diabetes like my dad, aunt and grandparents who had heart attacks. I'm 46 and here are my numbers. 

REFERANCE RANGEFCholesterol260  <=199 (mg/dL)
FTriglyceride87<=149 (mg/dL)
FDirect HDL47 >=41 (mg/dL)
FLDL (Calc)196 <=99 (mg/dL)- NOTES  The LDL result was calculated using the Friedewald formula. It overestimates LDL cholesterol for patients with type III hyperlipoproteinemia, and underestimates LDL cholesterol when a patient has not fasted for at least 9 hours or when triglycerides arehigh (particularly >400 mg/dL). In these situations, direct measurement of LDL cholesterol is recommended.FPatient Fasting?Y ("")VERIFIED by Discern Expert.

Any opinions?  I'm worried. 

I'm sorry you're concerned but we are in no way medical professionals and it would be irresponsible of us (and we're not allowed) to evaluate those numbers.  You definitely need to speak to your doctor and if you don't agree with your doctor's course of treatment, get a second opinion.  Good luck!

• 1 year later...

After being on the Whole30 for almost 2 months now, I had my cholesterol levels checked today.  I was told that my cholesterol, LDL and VDL were "slightly high" and I'm wondering if anyone can interpret my level numbers in light of the science behind the Whole30:  

Your Value                Standard Range

Triglycerides152 mg/dL35 - 160 mg/dL

Cholesterol262 mg/dL120 - 200 mg/dL

HDL66 mg/dL35 - 80 mg/dL

LDL Calculated166 mg/dL70 - 100 mg/dL

VLDL30.4 mg/dL8 - 30 mg/dL

Chol/HDL Ratio4.0  0.0 - 5.0

I'd really appreciate any feedback or thoughts on this.  Thanks!

• Moderators
23 minutes ago, Ellen Green said:

After being on the Whole30 for almost 2 months now, I had my cholesterol levels checked today.  I was told that my cholesterol, LDL and VDL were "slightly high" and I'm wondering if anyone can interpret my level numbers in light of the science behind the Whole30:  

Your Value                Standard Range

Triglycerides152 mg/dL35 - 160 mg/dL

Cholesterol262 mg/dL120 - 200 mg/dL

HDL66 mg/dL35 - 80 mg/dL

LDL Calculated166 mg/dL70 - 100 mg/dL

VLDL30.4 mg/dL8 - 30 mg/dL

Chol/HDL Ratio4.0  0.0 - 5.0

I'd really appreciate any feedback or thoughts on this.  Thanks!

The science behind eating Whole30 is that it reduces inflammation in your body.  We are not qualiified to interpret your cholesterol numbers - that is outside the purview of this forum but I'm sure if you explained to your doctor your way of eating and that it's an elimination diet focussing on reducing inflammatory foods, that he/she could interpret your numbers for you.

Archived