Ghee: How to make sure all the milk solids are removed?

Sarah Milcetic

I followed the instructions for D.I.Y. Ghee on Nom Nom Paleo. When I refrigerated it, part of it looks a little whiter than the rest. When I purchased ghee from a farm in the past it was uniform in color, which has me a little worried. I'm thinking of doing the process again and seeing if the "ghee" I made bubbles/foams and if it doesn't, assume it's safe. Right?

post-1889-0-67463200-1342040663_thumb.jp

• Moderators

I would be suspicious the white is milk solids. I gave up on clarifying butter myself and just started buying ghee. I was caught between my frugality that did not want to needlessly throw away good butter fat and my desire to get rid of the milk solids.

I strain mine thru 3x layers of cheesecloth. So far I haven't had a problem. If you make it right, you can tell that the milk solids settle to the bottom of the ghee ... so if you're really concerned, then you just don't use the bottom "layer" of ghee in the container.

Hmm, interesting. I definitely saw a lot of milk solids settle to the bottom of the pan when I was heating it. I used a triple layer of butter muslin to filter also and saw some of the solids trapped there. The part that looks questionable to me is a thin layer on the top and top of the sides so I don't know if I could be sure to scoop around it. Still haven't decided what to do with this but I'll post an update when I do.

• 2 weeks later...

I followed the instructions for D.I.Y. Ghee on Nom Nom Paleo. When I refrigerated it, part of it looks a little whiter than the rest. When I purchased ghee from a farm in the past it was uniform in color, which has me a little worried. I'm thinking of doing the process again and seeing if the "ghee" I made bubbles/foams and if it doesn't, assume it's safe. Right?

I followed direction on the whole 30 site, they have a video attached. and it worked perfectly! Tastes a lot different to butter and works a treat!

Now that I've got my head around eating all this delicious fat, it's amazing, I've been missing out for at least 20 years!!

Archived