'Spaghetti' sauce?

Is there a jar sauce I can use?

Alternately, what is your favorite recipe? I am not a huge sauce fan but my hubby is and he is not doing Whole 30 with me so I'm trying to make as many 'hubby-friendly' items as I can. I know he likes zucchini noodles so I was hoping to make a meat sauce over the noodles. Any other suggestions for a newbie trying to sway their partner?!

Costco's Kirkland Brand Marinara Sauce is Whole 30 compliant. The ingredients are: tomatoes, water, tomato concentrate, onions, garlic, basil, sea salt, extra virgin olive oil, oregano, citric acid. It is very good for bottled sauce.

I found a compliant sauce at Sunflower Market the other day! Monte Bene Farm Fresh - ingredients: tomatoes, imported italian san marzano tomatoes, onions, EVOO, salt, basil, white pepper, black pepper. I haven't tried it yet, but typically, with all jarred sauces to boost the flavor, I saute onions and garlic in EVOO first, and then add the sauce and simmer for a bit.

I couldn't find any sauce before though, so I made my own that turned out pretty good and is easy. It is not a super thick sauce though. Add your favorite protein:

EVOO to taste (I use a lot)

1/2 chopped white onion

3+ cloves garlic

1 28 oz can of Muir Glen fire roasted crushed tomatoes

1/2 small can of Muir Glen tomato paste

1 tbsp dried basil

1/2 tsp oregano

salt and pepper to taste

- Saute onions in EVOO 4-5 min, add garlic and saute for about 1 min until fragrant, then add the rest of the ingredients. Simmer for at least 20 min. Serve over roasted spaghetti squash (my fave) or zucchini.

I make regular noodles for my husband. He has been great about all of my food experiments. :)

I make a paleo spagetti sauce that i love .Its just canned tomatos ,salt ,then i add coco milk or butter to make it creamy.You can also add whatever herbs you like.Add this sause to already cooked groind meat .Then put on top of zuchini noodles

another i found at wholefoods, right next to the rao's and similarly pricey, is "michael's of brooklyn." ingredients in the puttanesca sauce are listed as: "imported italian tomatoes, olive oil, garlic, olives, capers, anchovies, parsley, basil, red pepper, spices, and nothing else!!!" (i really like that they emphasize this themselves.) really delicious, and whole30 compliant, if i'm not mistaken.

Meg, I'll try that. I usually don't have too much time and am starving after a long day and just want to eat! :D

You could try it in the crockpot! Although you would have to take the lid off for some time towards the end for it to thicken. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I regularly make my sauce in the crock pot. Allows for blending of the flavors. I have an herb garden this year and I've used my fresh herbs and tomatoes. If I need to thicken it at all I'll use tomato paste. Before I start on Aug 1 I will have to check the label on the tomato paste. I know the rest if fine.

I have yet to find a jar sauce that is Paleo or Whole 30 compliant. I made my own from scratch.

Trader Joe's makes a canned sauce that is actually quite good. You can always add some extra herbs if you would like.Here is the info from the label...

Trader Joe's Marinara Sauce (28 oz can, green label, says low fat)

Ingredients: Whole, Unpeeled Tomatoes, Extra Heavy Tomato Puree, Cold Pressed Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Onions, Herbs, Garlic, Salt.

And it's under $2 per can! Can't remember for sure but either $1.79 or $1.99 at my store. :)

• 2 weeks later...

The BEST jarred sauce I've found...and believe me I'm italian and always make my own so I'm extremely picky....is Raos. It's expensive but worth it. http://www.raos.com/...ium-sauces.aspx

I agree...in a pinch when I don't want to cook, Raos is THE best. I love love it. It's easy and fun to make your own, in fact, I make it now using the ingredients from the Raos ingredients list and it turns out really good. You just have to add a LOT of good olive oil after you have cooked the tomatoes, garlic and basil. Then I use my immersion stick blender to get the right consistancy. Raos is still better. I keep a jar in my cupboard for those tired days.

• 4 years later...
  • Moderators
4 minutes ago, Lorilei64 said:

This is my first Whole30 and am on Day 25.  I just bought the Yellow Barn Biodynamic Tomato Basil Sauce, and it is not on the Whole30 Approved list, has anyone tried/used this?

http://www.goodboyorganics.com/products/sauces/yellow-barn-tomato-basil-pasta-sauce/

ybb-tomatobasil-nutrition.jpg

I've never tried it, but all the ingredients are compliant so it's okay to have.

• Administrators

@Lorilei64 - Just to alleviate any confusion. An item can be Whole30 compliant based on the ingredients list (ie, no off-plan ingredients in it) but not necessarily "Whole30 Approved". The "Whole30 Approved" label is for particular vendors that both meet the requirements of the program and have been hand selected by the Whole30 team based on a number of factors that range from ingredient list, product line compliance and overall ingredient sourcing.  Please read the labels of all products that you wish to buy as there are tonnes of compliant items in the world that would not be involved with the "Whole30 Approved" program.

Our official Whole30 Approved label is designed to let you know a product is 100% compliant with the rules of our Whole30 program. In addition, it lets you know this product, and the company who stands behind it, have been vetted by our team.  We have a personal relationship with every Whole30 Approved producer, and feel confident that their products, their core values, and their mission are in line with ours and that of our readers.

Archived