Does anyone know ANY Whole30 compliant Chinese Food!?

Jesse B.

I'm starting my second Whole30 in August.  Last Whole30 I did, which was last year, I successfully got through any social dining experience by modifying menu items.  This year, however, I've got a tricky situation.  My brother's girlfriend is having her birthday dinner at a Chinese restaurant this coming Saturday and I don't think I'll be able to modify any of the menu items - most because I have no idea what's in them!

Does anyone know of ANY Chinese dish that might be Whole30 compliant?  Like, a chicken broth, or vegetable dish or something?

Jesse

My go to Chinese dish is Beef with Chinese vegetables. I don't eat the broccoli (FODMAPS) but there are carrots and zuchinni and mushrooms in there. Of course I don't eat the rice and this restaurant does not use MSG. Obviously it's not  the healthiest meal, but in a pinch, it's good. I usually supplement with some cooked spinach since I can't eat the broccoli (we do take out) Chicken or Beef with Broccoli would also be a good bet. Also Egg Foo Young is just an omelet with veggies, as long as you don't use the sauce they give you with it.

The biggest question is if they use MSG or not.

I agree with GFChris.  Dining at Chinese restaurants while doing Whole30 is not easy.  Most Chinese places have stopped using MSG but always ask if you do not see it posted somewhere.  Steamed meats and veggies without the rice and no sauce is really your safest option since a lot of the stir-fry dishes have soy sauce in them and some with shugar.  I would say to ask about any menu items you think may be compliant but there could be language barriers in understanding their meal prep.   ;)

As with other restaurants, if you are going to go with steamed, you may need to think about ways to add your own fat.  I sometimes have olives or avocado in the car or bring in a small, travel bottle of olive oil. 

If you like coconut aminos, I think I have heard of people bringing their own, as well.  I haven't done Chinese, but I bring balsamic almost everywhere because I love it on almost anything I would order anywhere.  I keep two small bottles in the car - oil and vinegar.

Thank you! This is all really helpful. Think I might just order a big bowl of steamed veggies. I won't chance it with other foods... and if I'm still hungry I can always have some fat and protein when I get home. As long as I have SOMETHING I can order when I'm there!

i agree with Chris. my parents own a Chinese restaurant and steamed is really only the way to go. pretty much all dishes contain MSG, sugar, soy sauce, and/or cornstarch. yikes! season with salt and pepper. I don't even miss the sauce anymore haha!

• 3 weeks later...

I ordered chinese from work the other day when a member of the sales staff wanted to buy me lunch as an appreciation gesture.  I ordered shrimp and pea pods steamed, no sauce (which was a clear gelatinous bowl of YUCK on the side) but I didn't feel very well for the rest of the day after I ate it and I wondered if there was some ingredient there that wasn't mentioned.  When I ordered I said, no cornstarch, no sugar, no soy, no NOTHING....(they already are a no MSG establishment)  Needless to say I won't do it again....The bottom line is, you really don't know what you are getting do you, unless you prepare it yourself! 

Hope you were able to figure this challenge out.

Marie

• 10 months later...

This is an old thread but I just wanted to share- I ordered steamed chicken and shrimp with mixed vegetables from a Chinese place tonight and for fat I drizzled it with Sesame chili oil. So good! I hardly ate out at all during my first whole30 but I'm trying to find one or two options this time so I can get a break from cooking. Really glad I found this thread.

I am not on a whole30. I went to a Chinese food restaurant and ordered the egg foo young with the sauce on the side. I got the egg foo young pancake with the chicken and veggies in the sauce on the side. When I tasted the egg foo young pancake it tasted like it had flour in it. They offered to wash the sauce off the chicken for me. Wasn't that nice of them? NOT! I would avoid restaurants on my whole30.

Archived