Sweetgreen update

Emily T

Protein: I asked today at Sweetgreen and determined that the chicken is usually locally raised and vegetarian. The chicken is seasoned with "Sweetgreen seasoning" (contains herbs and spices, no sugar), and is cooked in an olive oil/canola oil blend. I read on the W9 website that canola should be avoided if possible but is inevitable if dining out - so you may want to skip the chicken if you are concerned about that.

Hard boiled eggs are a good alternative to the chicken, and they are local. Bacon is cured with sugar and is out. Some stores have turkey - it is honey roasted, so you should avoid. All other protein is grain/legume/soy (falafel, chickpeas, tofu). 

Veggies: All of the raw produce is okay - I didn't ask about the cooked produce like the sweet potatoes or beets as these are mostly seasonal and likely vary from store to store. They will usually have a list of ingredients on the wall showing where they are from - most stuff is seasonal and local. 

Fat: here was a long line behind me waiting, so I didn't ask about all of the dressings, just the one I usually get - lime cilantro jalapeno. It is lime juice, cilantro, ground jalapeno, and olive oil. I assume most of the dressings there would be similar but you should ask. 

Happy eating! 

Quick note about the dressings -- I asked and was shown a list of ingredients in all the dressings, and many of them have sweeteners like agave or honey. The lime cilantro jalapeño doesn't, though, like Emily said, and it's so delicious! I didn't really look at many other dressings on the list, but it might be a good idea to ask before you get another dressing.

• Moderators

Just a few days after completing my Whole30 I was in another part of town for a class. Grabbed a big salad after asking all about the dressings (went with olive oil and vinegar). At the last moment I added bacon thinking it was an ok "indulgence" now that I was done with my Whole30. HOLY SUGAR. These are like, candied sugar crunch coated bacon pieces. And they were all mixed in. I realized how sweet they were but continued to eat them.

I barely made it through the afternoon portion of that class. SUGAR COMA! And then I felt fatigued the entire next day.

So be careful with that, especially if you are just coming off 30+ days of zero sugar.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 11 months later...

here is an updated Ingredient list for Sweetgreen:

Proteins/Veggies: seasoned with grapeseed oil and umani seasoning (UMAMI SEASONING CONTAINS SALT, ONION POWDER, GARLIC POWDER, CHILI POWDER, AND NUTRITIONAL YEAST).  The umami seasoning is gluten free and vegan:

-Chicken,steelhead trout, brussel sprouts, and roasted sweet potatoes.

CITRUS SHRIMP (SHRIMP, RICE VINEGAR,GRAPESEED OIL, LIME JUICE, LEMON JUICE, LEMON PEEL ,SALT,CILANTRO)

These Dressings appear complaint - assuming can have occasional grapeseed oil when eating out.

LIME CILANTRO JALAPENO VINAIGRETTE (GRAPESEED OIL, LIME JUICE,WHITE WINE VINEGAR, CILANTRO JALAPENO PEPPERS, SALT,GARLIC, CUMIN)

PESTO VINAIGRETTE (EXTRA VIRGIN OLIVE OIL, GRAPESEED OIL,CIDER VINEGAR, BASIL,GARLIC SALT)

SWEETGREEN HOT SAUCE  (WATER,FRESNO CHILI PEPPER, APPLE CIDER VINEGAR, ONION, BELL PEPPER, CARROT, TOMATO PASTE,NUTRITIONAL YEAST

HARISSA TAHINA DRESSING  ???- (TAHINI PASTE,LEMON JUICE, GARLIC, APPLE CIDER VINEGAR, SWEETGREEN HOT SAUCE , GRAPESEED OIL, SALT,CORIANDER, CUMIN)

Archived