Cashews and apples

carens19

I am just starting on this program and had what I thought was a good breakfast of steamed veges, sweet potato and salmon about 2 hours ago.  I'm starving now, have a cut up apple and have eaten half.  Is that okay?  I understand cashews are allowed on the plan.  Even though snacks are discouraged, can I eat a handful of cashews to hold me to lunch?  Was the half apple okay?  I'm a little confused, thanks for your help and support :)

Snacks are fine...you may find you need them less and less as you progress through the 30 days. You don't mention portion sizes for your breakfast, but the content sounds good. Maybe go towards 2 palms of protein instead of 1? Did you add fat to your meal? If not that could make you hungry earlier too. Cashews and apples are both allowed per the plan, but neither make a good snack. Fruit and nuts should be part of a meal. A snack should be a mini-meal that contains veg, protein, and fat. This should help keep you going until the next meal better than something "snacky" like nuts.

Snacks aren't encouraged - if your meals are big enough, you should find you last through, so perhaps try increasing fat and protein tomorrow (or even at meal 2/3)

If you're starving and do need a snack, the recommendation is to have a mini meal of protein/fat/vegies over fruit/nuts.

Have your nuts, the fat will help fill a hole, but try to make the rest of your meals fit the template - overestimate if you need to!

Nut butter and vegs would not be an ideal mini-meal, because you're missing protein (nuts on the Whole30 count as a fat).

Here are some mini-meal possibilities, off the top of my head:
- leftovers from previous meal
- hard boiled egg(s), sliced peppers, avocado
- prosciutto, asparagus cooked in healthy fat (coconut oil or ghee)
- sardines, sauerkraut, handful of fresh coconut slices or olives
- canned tuna, chicken or salmon mixed with paleo mayo, baked sweet potato

Whole9 Moderator,

Thank you for your great suggestions. 

I have not eaten meat, eggs, cheese, etc for a few years.  Just a bit of fish. I have gotten my protein from leafy greens and sprouts mostly.  Going back to animal protein full force is not sitting well with me.  I don't mind meat or eggs once a day, but I can't embrace it three times a day at this point.  I realize my health is not optimum and that's why this food plan has been recommended to me by a health professional.  Is there a way for me to achieve the desired results without animal protein at every meal?  Can I use greens and sprouts at a high level instead?  Or something else?  I have used SunWarrior protein powder - raw and vegan - but that's not allowed on this program either.  Can you help me further please.

Here are a couple resources.

Whole9 article on eating meat for the meat-challenged http://whole9life.com/2013/02/eating-meat-a-primer-for-the-meat-challenged-2/

Whole30 vegetarian shopping list, which, among other things, outlines non-animal protein options (note: does not include greens and sprouts in that category): http://whole9life.com/book/ISWF-Vegetarian-Shopping-List.pdf

I would also suggest posting questions for other ideas in the "Whole30 for vegetarians" portion of the forum: http://forum.whole9life.com/forum/17-whole30-for-vegetarians/

Great question, great thread.  Thanks. 

I love the reminder that we should eat larger meals.  From my long years of indoctrination into other programs/lifestyles, I tend to be portion-controlling.  It's very hard for me not to weigh/measure/count but today, Day 2, I did none of that.  I have what I have.

Now, that being said, I find that sometimes I feel like I'm hungry when I know there is no way I could be.  Sometimes I truly am a little "noshy" and sometimes I'm genuinely hungry.  Lately I've been saying "I think I will survive for a few hours until the next meal."  And that gets me past the moment.

It would be very, very difficult to get enough protein through eating vegies. You'd probably not fit in the volume!!

I'd suggest looking at the vegetarian shopping list if you're really against meat. There is a few inclusions that aren't normally whole30 compliant to enable vegetarians to get sufficiebt protein

Nut butter and vegs would not be an ideal mini-meal, because you're missing protein (nuts on the Whole30 count as a fat).

Here are some mini-meal possibilities, off the top of my head:

- leftovers from previous meal

- hard boiled egg(s), sliced peppers, avocado

- prosciutto, asparagus cooked in healthy fat (coconut oil or ghee)

- sardines, sauerkraut, handful of fresh coconut slices or olives

- canned tuna, chicken or salmon mixed with paleo mayo, baked sweet potato

Great suggestions, thanks!  I think I would go for Chix salad with a little avocado in a small lettuce wrap.  Maybe a few nuts to add a little crunch.  Just a few tho  :)

I find when I am hungry between meals it's because I am not eating enough fat.  Instead of steaming the veggies, saute them in coconut oil or ghee and I also swear by an avocado a day and always some at breakfast.  I can easily go 6 or 7 hours between breakfast and lunch if i've eaten some avocado.

Archived