Calcium deficient...

Hi,

After feelibg exhausted for weeks and falling asleep at really inappropriate times [nursery when collecting my daughter, the zoo etc) I went to the Dr for some blood tests.  I have just had a phone call asking me to go in and see them as I have a calcium deficiency and the Dr wants to see me.

I have been really careful about what I have been eating so I'm unsure what this means.  I feel muh better without milk, grains & legumes in my diet long term but I'm a bit concerned that the Dr may tell me I'm doing wrong.   Also, if my children are eating the same kinds of things, then they must be deficient too.

Is there a milk that is compliant and 'safe' to drink as my children are not cows ;-)

Before you jump on the milk wagon, I would get more information from your doctor, and examine your diet to see if you're getting calcium regularly in other ways:

From green vegetables like kale, turnip greens, arugula, and broccoli

From fruits like oranges and dried figs

From seafood like sardines and salmon

From nuts like almonds 

Also, if you have found milk to be bothersome to you, I would share that information with your doctor.

How are you with food textures?

Tinned salmon usually has the bones in, they are sort-of softly crunchy. I didn't used to like this but do now. You can always mash up the contents (the bones break down very easily), add an egg, some herbs, onion, make a salmon "burger"?

Thanks guys.  I have just been and mentioned that I don't particularly get on with milk/dairy and feel that I can get calcium & Vit D from other sources.  Shock horror, he was able to support that and not medicate (for now). 

I do eat a fair bit of those things GFChris but I think I need to increase my intake an make it more regular.  I do tend to grab fruit & nuts for convenience rather than thinking about what I should/shouldn't be eating.

On a positive note I know what is causing the exhaustion so if I can clear this up, I should be back on track.  Yay!

• 1 year later...

I checked out the linked thread on calcium and I wondered if this related at all to fingernail strength as well. I'm on day 13, and upping protein and general consumption volume (having started with meals well balanced but too meager overall) and I've noticed my fingernails, which have always been very strong and quite hard, becoming softer and chipping when I play bass guitar, which has never happened before. I'm including a lot of the dark greens recommended regularly and am supplementing with a multivitamin from iHerb (I can't locate the exact one at the moment, but it's individual packets to be taken after a meal with four capsules, two grey and two dark brown, and according to the info is absolutely loaded with lots of everything)..

Is this more collagen related? Am I barking up the wrong tree? 

I'm putting some bone broth on tonight after I stop by the butcher's and hopefully getting some bay leaves as well. 

I'd be looking more at magnesium than calcium.  Your multi could be competing with any magnesium you're getting.  Magnesium requires a decent amount of D and limited competition to be absorbed.  Calcium, iron, zinc, copper, etc are the competitors. Megadosing any of those is at the cost of absorption of the rest.

And to get the most from the calcium in your dark leafy greens, pair with something high in vit. C. That makes the calcium more bio-available.  Thinks spinach with tomatoes, kale with red peppers, citrus in your dressings.

Thanks for the input! I wonder if I should discontinue taking the multi.. It was a sort of stopgap measure toward the beginning of my W30 because I worried about not having a balanced nutrient intake early on in the W30. I feel like things are a bit more balanced yet, but I do worry about missing things that I might not be mindful of in terms of food prep.

And to get the most from the calcium in your dark leafy greens, pair with something high in vit. C. That makes the calcium more bio-available.  Thinks spinach with tomatoes, kale with red peppers, citrus in your dressings.

I'd be looking more at magnesium than calcium.  Your multi could be competing with any magnesium you're getting.  Magnesium requires a decent amount of D and limited competition to be absorbed.  Calcium, iron, zinc, copper, etc are the competitors. Megadosing any of those is at the cost of absorption of the rest.

Archived