Raisins?

Skiley

• Moderators

Raisins are okay during a Whole30, especially sprinkled on a salad. But check the ingredients label to make sure there are no added sugars.

I avoid products that list vegetable oil as an ingredient. The Whole30 rules do not specifically outlaw vegetable or seed oils, but "vegetable oil" is a broad category. Wikipedia lists the major vegetable oils as the following list. Coconut oil is okay, but corn, peanut, and soybean oil is not. You can be pretty sure that the reason a manufacturer lists vegetable oil is because they are using something cheap like soybean oil. The chances they are using coconut or olive oil and listing it as vegetable oil is pretty low.

The major oils:

Coconut oil

Corn oil

Cottonseed oil

Olive oil

Palm oil

Peanut oil

Rapeseed oil

Safflower oil

Sesame oil

Soybean oil

Sunflower oil

Tom, in Ireland you can buy bottles of "vegetable oil" I have no idea of what kind of oil it actually is, must check next time I'm in the shops...It could be what you guys call canola, I'm not sure.

• 1 month later...

The major oils:

Coconut oil

Corn oil

Cottonseed oil

Olive oil

Palm oil

Peanut oil

Rapeseed oil

Safflower oil

Sesame oil

Soybean oil

Sunflower oil

Which of these are OK for the Whole30? I am searching and searching and the internet is such a time-sucker...today is Day1 and I have a load of things to get done before ds gets out of school....I know peanut is not a go, nor soybean, how about safflower and sesame and sunflower? Or the nut oils? I want to make mayonnaise and I don't really want to go with olive oil. I have safflower...will that do? How about hazelnut oil? (Not for mayo but "just for"). Thanks!

Which of these are OK for the Whole30? I am searching and searching and the internet is such a time-sucker...today is Day1 and I have a load of things to get done before ds gets out of school....I know peanut is not a go, nor soybean, how about safflower and sesame and sunflower? Or the nut oils? I want to make mayonnaise and I don't really want to go with olive oil. I have safflower...will that do? How about hazelnut oil? (Not for mayo but "just for"). Thanks!

The only ones from that list that are okay are coconut and olive oils. Avoid the rest like the plague.

Tom, in Ireland you can buy bottles of "vegetable oil" I have no idea of what kind of oil it actually is, must check next time I'm in the shops...It could be what you guys call canola, I'm not sure.

Canola and vegetable oil are two separate products, unless I am mistaken. I haven't used either in years though.

Canola and vegetable oil are two separate products, unless I am mistaken. I haven't used either in years though.

I have since discovered that canola oil = rapeseed oil. Which has had a huge marketing push in the last year as the new healthy oil :rolleyes: Probably because Irish farmers have started growing rapeseed.

Who knows what vegetable oil is??? I am trying to find sultanas without it & not having any joy.

The rest are less than healthy choices but not forbidden by the guidelines.

Good, because I only have extra-virgin olive oil and safflower oil in the house, and with the tinybit of time I had today, I couldn't find "light" olive oil or any other kind besides hazelnut. So I used what I had on hand. And it turned out yummy, too!

I have since discovered that canola oil = rapeseed oil. Which has had a huge marketing push in the last year as the new healthy oil :rolleyes: Probably because Irish farmers have started growing rapeseed.

Who knows what vegetable oil is??? I am trying to find sultanas without it & not having any joy.

Vegetable oil here in the USA is usually a combination of soy, canola, and maybe another or two. Sultanas = raisins, right? ~scratches head~ I don't know why they'd have oil in them. Mine are only dried grapes, I think. Will have to check, now y'all have me mighty curious!

ETA: just checked. Ingredient: raisins. Hmm.

Your best choices are coconut and olive oil (for Mayo get light tasting olive oil).

Corn, soybean and peanut are off-limits.

The rest are less than healthy choices but not forbidden by the guidelines.

Robin - Sort of off-topic but do you have any recommendations on where to get a light tasting olive oil that is really 100% olive oil? The lightest tasting olive oil I tried a few months ago was one I picked up at a regular grocery store and I'm afraid it was probably a blend. I have seen many articles recently about how so many "olive oils" on the market are really blends of different oils and not pure olive oil. I haven't found a "light" olive oil I can trust yet. And I need a good one because my hubby is not a fan of mayo with a strong olive oil taste.

Robin - Sort of off-topic but do you have any recommendations on where to get a light tasting olive oil that is really 100% olive oil? The lightest tasting olive oil I tried a few months ago was one I picked up at a regular grocery store and I'm afraid it was probably a blend. I have seen many articles recently about how so many "olive oils" on the market are really blends of different oils and not pure olive oil. I haven't found a "light" olive oil I can trust yet. And I need a good one because my hubby is not a fan of mayo with a strong olive oil taste.

Bertolli Extra Light Tasting Olive Oil is 100% olive oil. It says so right in the ingredients list. Ingredients: Olive oil. It does say "composed of refined olive oil and virgin olive oil". Now I have to google to see if I can see how it's refined. I don't usually like that word, but maybe in this case, it just means they get rid of more of the "olive" and that is where the "light taste" comes from.

ETA: Well, refined olive oil doesn't sound so great. Apparently, they say refining removes much of the healthful properties. I guess if it's not harmful, I'm okay with that, but it's refined the same way things like canola and soy are refined. The article suggests searching some good sources for some good quality, fresh and light tasting virgin oil. Sigh..more hunting.

Bertolli Extra Light Tasting Olive Oil is 100% olive oil. It says so right in the ingredients list. Ingredients: Olive oil. It does say "composed of refined olive oil and virgin olive oil". Now I have to google to see if I can see how it's refined. I don't usually like that word, but maybe in this case, it just means they get rid of more of the "olive" and that is where the "light taste" comes from.

ETA: Well, refined olive oil doesn't sound so great. Apparently, they say refining removes much of the healthful properties. I guess if it's not harmful, I'm okay with that, but it's refined the same way things like canola and soy are refined. The article suggests searching some good sources for some good quality, fresh and light tasting virgin oil. Sigh..more hunting.

Frustrating isn't it? Hoping someone else chimes in with a good solution for both of us!

Just remembered I have a friend whose wife (that I have never met but can contact on FB) actually blogs about the olive oil industry. Crazy but true. Sort of a hobby/business venture for her. Let me see if she can give me suggestions....

Frustrating isn't it? Hoping someone else chimes in with a good solution for both of us!

Just remembered I have a friend whose wife (that I have never met but can contact on FB) actually blogs about the olive oil industry. Crazy but true. Sort of a hobby/business venture for her. Let me see if she can give me suggestions....

I am going to go to a store locally here who is known for their knowledge of olive oils and ask them which is their lightest in taste, organic extra virgin or virgin olive oil. Maybe I'll actually become accustomed to the taste of a little more olive oil flavor in my mayo. I love a rich olive oil flavor in every other situation.

I wonder how avocado oil mayo would be?

Good, because I only have extra-virgin olive oil and safflower oil in the house, and with the tinybit of time I had today, I couldn't find "light" olive oil or any other kind besides hazelnut. So I used what I had on hand. And it turned out yummy, too!

Vegetable oil here in the USA is usually a combination of soy, canola, and maybe another or two. Sultanas = raisins, right? ~scratches head~ I don't know why they'd have oil in them. Mine are only dried grapes, I think. Will have to check, now y'all have me mighty curious!

ETA: just checked. Ingredient: raisins. Hmm.

sultanas are called golden rasiins over there I discovered, I posted the full info on my log.

So Robin, can you clarify, are dried fruits coated with "vegetable oil" (the pack says 0.5% btw) W30 allowed, I have been marking them as not in red on my post w30 log...

I wonder how avocado oil mayo would be?

OMG, that sounds divine. We have what I call "poor stores" here-- grocery scratch'n'dent/overstock places. Sometimes things are out of date, sometimes not, sometimes you can get organic or really obscure things. You can't believe, yesterday I found coconut aminos! ONE bottle, I know it was meant for me :D And for $2.99. I'm so happy!

sultanas are called golden rasiins over there I discovered, I posted the full info on my log.

Oh, golden raisins, YUM YUM! Most people here don't even know about them, I don't think, and they are in the grocery right beside the dark ones. I totally love golden raisins. Do they sell the dark ones where you are? What do people call those? You're in Ireland, right? I am SO coming to visit you ;)

Ooh I bet it would be good. It would be kind of a pricey experiment, though. Adagio on the forums says she uses macadamia nut oil for her mayo.

I actually made mac oil mayo when I did Whole30 a year ago. It killed me to use that much of it, but it was delish. I think I have seen avo oil for less money than mac oil, but still in the research phase. :)

We use Bertolli. I know its refined, and that's not optimal, but all we use it for is Mayo. I'm ok with that.

As far as the fruit goes... Because of the labeling rules here that veg oil could also be corn or soy, so I would say no. If you can find some with a specific plant (sunflower,etc.) Then its a technical yes.

We use Bertolli. I know its refined, and that's not optimal, but all we use it for is Mayo. I'm ok with that.

You just made me a happy camper. So didn't want to have to Nancy Drew something acceptable. :) Love the Bertolli Extra Light.

Maiasaura - raisins are from red grapes & sultanas are from green grapes here in England (and Ireland ;-).

The vegetable oil is used as a preservative. I have some from Asda (Walmart) which have Potassium Sorbate as a preservative. I'm wondering if that's whole 30 approved? Probably not, but can't find it anything via a search.

Maiasaura - raisins are from red grapes & sultanas are from green grapes here in England (and Ireland ;-).

The vegetable oil is used as a preservative. I have some from Asda (Walmart) which have Potassium Sorbate as a preservative. I'm wondering if that's whole 30 approved? Probably not, but can't find it anything via a search.

Oh, interesting!

My box is also from Walmart (didn't know it had a different name!) and it just says Ingredients: raisins.

Archived