Mayo FAILED!

ChikomoFitness27

You need to be sure of the following:

- the egg and lemon juice are at room temperature

- when you blend, use the lowest possible speed on the blender (I use an immersion blender on low.)

- pour in the olive oil SLOWLY: slow drip should take 3-4 minutes

I use my immersion blender which works great and no need for room temp ingredients or drizzling oil, which I have no patience for. I think I remember that people decided the Ninja was not good for mayo. I could be wrong though.

There are long threads about mayo success and fails that you may want to check out.

• Moderators

My mayo failed this week. The first unfixable failure I have ever experienced. I'm pouring it into salmon salads like ranch dressing from a bottle. It tastes good, but doesn't perform like mayo at all. 

I tried more apple cider vinegar (which has always worked before). I tried a second egg. I swear it was looser after sitting in the fridge overnight than it was when I finished making it. I have never had mayo fail before whether I used an immersion blender or a food processor. We must be within the range of a moon shadow. :)

My immersion blender mayo was perfect when I made it, but separated in the fridge. I blitzed an avocado and some spices into it, which thickened it a bit. I used it to make a chicken salad yesterday and it was delicious, but not as thick as I'd like. I'm trying again tonight or tomorrow. Wish me luck...

I use this technique and recipe:

I alter the recipe by using extra light in flavor olive oil and eliminating the honey.  I do not drizzle.  I use setting number 15 (the extremely highest) on my Breville immersion blender. 

I haven't used a Ninja, but I did find that my Cuisinart immersion blender wasn't up to the job.  The Breville is.  I guess machinery matters (though I know for hundreds of years people made mayo just with their arms and their whisks!)

My immersion blender mayo was perfect when I made it, but separated in the fridge. I blitzed an avocado and some spices into it, which thickened it a bit. I used it to make a chicken salad yesterday and it was delicious, but not as thick as I'd like. I'm trying again tonight or tomorrow. Wish me luck...

Melodious, I do one whole egg and one egg yolk to 1 1/4 cup ELOO, 1 tsp mustard and one Tbs lemon juice or ACV, salt, pepper and cayenne to taste. The trick is to leave the blender blades at the bottom until you see the white mayo forming. Then slowly sort of tip the stick back and forth. You will see the blades draw more oil in. After that you can speed the process up. My mayo is almost too thick.

I have made my "20 sec-Mayo", with my immersion blender, three times now, all successful :D
In a tall container I have 1 egg and 1 teaspoon lemonjuice - let it join each other in 10-15 min - make sure it has the same temperature before adding oil
I use olive oil - NOT EVOO, that taste is not good... (When I'm out of that, I'll use avocado or macadamia) - 2/3 cup of oil - put your immersion blender to the bottom - full speed - and vupti, 20 sec - MAYO!!!! :D
(This is from PaleOMG)

It has never seperated in the fridge - or maybe I just ate it to fast ;)

I use a Braun immersion blender - it's perfect :)

Have you guys made mayo with other compliant oils? Sunflower? I would love to hear how that turns out.

Avoid using sunflower oil in your mayo on a Whole30. While the oil is technically compliant, it's done reluctantly and only so that you can have it while dining out. The recommendation is to eliminate this and other vegetable oils from your home.  (Even Melissa Joulwan on her mayo video advises against using sunflower oil to make mayo, referring to it as a "junky oil.")

I have made paleo mayo with 1 c olive oil and 1/4 c avocado oil.  While I love avocados, the taste for me in the mayo was too intense. I'm back to using all olive oil only.   

For anyone who has a Cuisinart, there's a little hole in the piece on the top that you use to push food down into the chute (no idea what that part is called.) This hole is designed for the express purpose of making mayo - you put your oil into that piece and it will drizzle slowly through that hole. I haven't had a batch fail since I discovered this method and it's much easier. Other brands of food processors might also have the feature as well but I've never had a different brand.

Great! Ninja does not have low speed...it is automatically high speed...ha! 

To Moderator, got it. Thank your for your tips. I will try it again soon. 

i have a vitamix and even the slowest speed on that seemed to be too fast, so i use my food processor.

• 4 months later...

I use this technique and recipe: I alter the recipe by using extra light in flavor olive oil and eliminating the honey.  I do not drizzle.  I use setting number 15 (the extremely highest) on my Breville immersion blender. 

I haven't used a Ninja, but I did find that my Cuisinart immersion blender wasn't up to the job.  The Breville is.  I guess machinery matters (though I know for hundreds of years people made mayo just with their arms and their whisks!)

I just tried this method with a cold egg and mustard (minus honey) and it worked PERFECTLY!!

• 2 years later...

I have made mayo more than 3xs while being on the W30 and each time it is a nail biter. The time before this one, worked beautifully with Avocado Oil, took seconds. This time, I went through 5 egg yolks, hot water, whisk, immersion blender. FINALLY, by putting in some of the mixture in my Vitamix and running it high, and then slowly pouring in the broken mayo was I able to get an emulsion. I think the trick is to use a little oil with the egg and add more once it thickens FIRST. I was going to be so sad that $11 oil was going to go to waste. I really should purchase compliant mayo rather than run the risk. 

• Moderators
39 minutes ago, mimiywan said:

I have made mayo more than 3xs while being on the W30 and each time it is a nail biter. The time before this one, worked beautifully with Avocado Oil, took seconds. This time, I went through 5 egg yolks, hot water, whisk, immersion blender. FINALLY, by putting in some of the mixture in my Vitamix and running it high, and then slowly pouring in the broken mayo was I able to get an emulsion. I think the trick is to use a little oil with the egg and add more once it thickens FIRST. I was going to be so sad that $11 oil was going to go to waste. I really should purchase compliant mayo rather than run the risk. 

Long term, it would be cheaper to purchase an immersion blender than buy compliant mayo if you really don't like making it in your Vitamix. Making mayo with one is truly nearly completely fail proof. No bringing things to room temperature, no slowly drizzling oil, just dump everything in a jar, wait a few seconds for the egg to settle at the bottom, and blend -- Like this.

I know no one wants yet another kitchen gadget, but they're small, don't take up a huge amount of room, can be picked up brand new for less than $30, or you might have friends or family with one sitting in a cabinet somewhere that they never use that you could have. It's great for mayo and for blending soups in the pot rather than transferring hot liquid to blenders or food processors. You can even use it for some smaller chopping jobs, for blending coffee if you like yours with coconut oil or coconut milk in it, and probably other things, though honestly, the mayo and the soup make it worth it for me.

I only have a Nutri Ninja AutoIQ blender, no food processor or regular blender. I've made mayo before with a food processor and basically used the recipe from Well Fed with great success. I always found the lemon flavor too bitter and acrid for me but started using red wine vinegar a few years ago for the acid and like it much better. I decided to give it a shot with the Nutri Ninja and its worked great! It is slightly less thick than when made in a food processor (about 1/4 less thick?) but that is always fine for me because I use it for dips and egg salad and such and it never really needs that extra thickness. 

I throw a whole egg into the blender cup and let it hang out on the counter for about half an hour. Then I throw in a few splashes of red wine vinegar, salt, pepper, a squeeze of spicy brown mustard, and a few tablespoons of oil* (all Whole30 compliant versions of course!) into the blender cup with the egg, screw on the lid and pulse it 3-5 times (very quick pulses!). Flip the cup, open it and add about 2 tsp of oil, screw the lid on, and pulse another 2-3 times. Repeat this until your mayo thickens up and emulsifies. I basically use as much oil as it takes to get a good consistency, but it seems to be less than when making it in a regular blender/food processor. On the last round of oil, I give it a taste and add salt/pepper as needed. I don't measure anything, but I would say the Well Fed overall quantities should be about right for this too. 

The first time I did this I figured it was a fluke since I had Googled it and the consensus was it wasn't going to work, but I've made mayo with this method a few times now and it works like a charm. Hopefully this is helpful to someone out there who wants to use their Nutri Ninja blender. 

*I have used both light olive oil and avocado oil and greatly prefer the avocado oil; no matter what brand or lightness of olive oil I use, it just tastes too stronger my liking. 

Archived