How often do you eat beef?

How often do you eat red meat? I just ordered half cow.

I can find grass finished ground beef at a grocery store but not all the parts that I like.

So today I went ahead and ordered a half cow (1/4 option isn't available) from a local farm.

For a long time I intentionally avoided red meat consumption due to the traditional belief that it's bad for you. Also, animal welfare was another big concern.

Since I began Paleo diet a month ago, I have had beef twice. Mostly because I couldn't find grassfed beef conventionally.

Anyway, I am not used to eating red meat often and I am still hesitant to eat it more than once or twice a week at the most. I guess I am still bit skeptical even though it's a grass finished cow.

Is there such thing as too much red meat?

about 3 times a week feels good to me- am lucky enough to have a good supply of free range, grass fed or even wild meat from a friendly local hunter. wow, the difference in taste is amazing! and to think I used to be vegetarian ....

I do buy local grass fed beef from a farm I trust. That being said, I have always liked hamburgers and taco meat over chicken. I make a big pot of taco seasoned beef every week and use that as a staple for a quick scramble type meal, so I am probably eating beef once a day.

I'd say 3-4 times a week. I'm having some grass fed beef tonight. If you do have good grass fed beef, it is superior to grain fed beef and actually good for you. You get all the good benefits of beef without all the 'bad stuff'

Just curious, do you have a chest freezer? How much room does 1/2 a cow take up?

• Moderators

Eating beef at every meal is compatible with good health. The nutritional profile of beef is far superior to that of chicken and pork, so you should eat much more beef than either chicken or pork. The chicken marketers have beaten the beef marketers for many years now, so most people think of chicken as healthy, but the meat of a good, grass-fed cow is higher in omega3 fatty acids and provides a better balance of what your body craves. I recommend eating beef or lamb at least 5 days per week in my meal planning guide: http://www.wholelifeeating.com/2013/07/the-six-planks-of-tom-denhams-whole30-meal-planning-table/

Actually....I lie! Beef probably 3 times, kangaroo probably twice :)

Amerbino - I'm giving kangaroo a try for the first time this weekend. I don't want to sidetrack this message thread, but I would love some tips on how to cook it properly!! I am worried that it will be too chewy/tough.

Amerbino - I'm giving kangaroo a try for the first time this weekend. I don't want to sidetrack this message thread, but I would love some tips on how to cook it properly!! I am worried that it will be too chewy/tough.

I usually use it in slow cooked things - like curry, or whiz the steaks in my food processor to make mince for bolognese, or chilli.

Because its so lean, it's easy to make it tough I you cook it in a pan - If I do cook the steaks as is, I'd marinate them for a while, and also cook them medium rare - definitely not something you want well done!

i dont police it but it is usually daily, or every other day at least, unless I bulk cook some other protein source.

Good call on half a cow though, saves you a ton of money in the long run and the meat quality is superior in my experience.

I usually use it in slow cooked things - like curry, or whiz the steaks in my food processor to make mince for bolognese, or chilli.

Because its so lean, it's easy to make it tough I you cook it in a pan - If I do cook the steaks as is, I'd marinate them for a while, and also cook them medium rare - definitely not something you want well done!

Where would one find Kangaroo in the states? Sorry for thread jack!

Where would one find Kangaroo in the states? Sorry for thread jack!

I live in Washington DC and there is a specialty foods store with an excellent, experienced butcher who loves offering unusual proteins (kangaroo, alligator, etc.).  If you do some research, you may find one in your area!

I have a picture of my reaction to eating it for the first (and last) time. Yuck face is an understatement.

I can still remember the first time i tried Marmite (kinda similar) - i was about 5 & thought it was chocolate spread. I found it very difficult to trust anyone about any food ever for a long time after that...

Archived