Coffee for your Whole 30: How to make it if you're used to using dairy

When I did my Whole 30 in May, I started drinking my coffee with Aroy-D coconut milk and it was the game changer I was desperately searching for. It's become my coffee default and I find coffee with dairy and sugar (drank when not on a Whole 30) to be gross.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

I don't drink coffee (hate the taste, never had an entire cup of the stuff in my life), but my understanding is this goes against Whole30. The book says if you have to put stuff in it, you don't like coffee, you like the sweeteners and milk/cream that go in it and you shouldn't modify to make it drinkable. I recommend teas - much healthier and no bad coffee breath.

Adding dates or trying to recreate sweet additions is not allowed for whole 30. Otherwise, Coffee is fine, coffee with coconut milk is fine. (It's not sweet, we're talking the stuff from the cans here.) There are other reasons to add something to coffee, for instance to cut the acidity. or to improve mouth-feel or add fat to a meal. And let's face it, many people like the caffeine. And people can choose whether or not to consume it.  http://whole9life.com/2011/01/the-coffee-manifesto/

There are plenty of teas out there that have soy lecithin or sugar as ingredients, so keep an eye out for that.

Am I correct that using coconut oil in coffee is ok?  I'm planning to start Whole 30 soon, and I need to get this worked out before I start. Sugar/half and half has been a staple in my coffee, which is like air...but I've tried coconut oil without sugar before, and I know i can tolerate that.  Thanks...just want to confirm.

Donna

I found this coconut cream (https://www.amazon.com/Aroy-D-Coconut-Cream-Fluid-Ounce/dp/B008ZWILNS) at my local Asian foods store, and it is really good in coffee. Better than any canned coconut milk I've tried. I use it in soup too. I freeze it in ice cube trays a few days after opening--two cubes per coffee thermos/cup of soup is perfect. This much lasts a long time. And the only ingredient is coconut cream! Definitely one of my best grocery store finds.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived