Type 1 Diabetes and Exercise

Hi there,

I am just starting Whole30 for the first time and was hoping some of you had experience with managing with type 1 diabetes and especially with pre and post workout meals. My biggest concern (since it has been an issue for me before on other low carb diets) is to avoid hypoglycemic episodes especially during and after exercise and during the night. I know that I will possibly have to reduce my long acting insulin but if anyone has suggestions on good ways to eat around exercising and try and avoid hypoglycemia, I'd appreciate the input!

Hello, 

I started the Whole30 today. I have now been type 1 for 22 years. I am going to be starting slow, just walking and hikes in the woods. I will probably add some body/weight exercises soon. 

I would say be careful if you want to do any prolonged higher-paced exercises. You know, running, cycling at a higher speed, swimming, etc., can drop those glucose numbers quickly.

Pay attention to fasting glucose levels to see if you need to adjust your basals. It may be worth setting an alarm about half way through your sleep cycle to get a few night time tests. Night time hypos can be the scariest.

If you want to keep in touch, PM me. Our start dates are pretty close, so maybe we can get through the first 30 to see how it works for those on insulin.

Take care.

I can't offer advices on managing diabetes, for sure, but I did want to chime in here and say that the whole30 is NOT a "low-carb" diet. If you know you do better with more carbs, include more approved carbs; veggies in general, but especially starchy ones: sweet potato, winter squash, carrot, beets, plantain, etc.

The general workout nutrition recommendation is for protein and fat beforehand, and protein and starchy carbs afterwards--could be worth a try to see if it works for you?

Archived