Carb Flu...Any suggestions?

kngonzales

As I'm gearing up for my 3rd Whole30, I am most trepidatious about facing the ever-painful, energy-killing, want-to-stuff-my-face-with-a-donut-and-cry-in-my-pillow, CARB FLU. There are other names for it, but I've come to know and love the intense headaches, and overall feeling of death as the "carb flu."

Now, I know, I know, the best way to avoid the carb flu is to curb your consumption of refined sugars and carbohydrates BEFORE starting your Whole30, but that ship has pretty much sailed for me (due to the incredible Mexican bakery across the street from my house), so I'm trying to figure out ways to temper the horrific effects of the carb flu that I anticipate will hit me day 2 -3 of my Whole30.

Also, this is the first time I've actually considered any kind of preparation for the carb flu, rather than just suffering through it as part of my punishment for making less-than-favorable food choices. So, if anyone has experience cutting back their sugar and carb intake in anticipation of the Whole30, I'd appreciate some input as well. Does it really make a difference?

If I am still going to get the carb flu, even if I cut back my refined sugars and carbs, then forgive me, but I'd rather have one final cream-filled churro...;)

• Moderators

My one instance of carb flu was mildly unpleasant and lasted only about a week. Consequently, I don't have any personal tips for softening the effect, but I wonder if eating a sweet potato every day as you start your Whole30 would make things easier. Lots of people don't eat enough at the start of a Whole30 and so the effect might be amplified by inadequate overall nutrition as well as being really light on carbs overall. I'd be interested in hearing how things turn out for you.

Tom, thanks for the input. My experience with my beastly carb flu friend lasted only 1-2 days, but it's super intense. I definitely learned in my first Whole30 that I needed to eat more, as my body had been used to looking to fast carbs as a source of fuel. Sweet potatoes are great! I eat them typically as a pre and post-workout meal. My goal for Whole30 Round 3 (as I like to call it), is to go mostly Whole30 (i.e. no refined sugars or carbs) for the week prior to starting my actual Whole30. This means fats, protein, and plant matter, but not as stringent about the added sauces/marinades. Hopefully, when it comes time to cut all addidives, I'll be weaned enough to not suffer as much through the carb flu. I'll update you when I start! Thanks for your help!

Archived