Fast/on-the-go breakfast options?

jbasel31

So right now I am able to take as much time as I want/need to make my meals but once school goes back there will be some mornings that I will be teaching and I will need some ready-made or quick items to grab and go. I would love to say that I will still get up and cook a good breakfast but I doubt that will happen. I already have to get up at 5/5:30 to be out the door at 7, while packing myself up and my kiddo. School starts at 7:45am. My go-to quick stuff last year was protein shakes/granola bars/something on the way.

Any ideas?

If you have a copy of well fed, there are meat muffins in there. You could also make egg muffins (scrambled eggs with all sorts of stuff in them, poured into muffin cups) and grab a few of those to go.

I made a big batch of "emergency protien" on Sunday so I could just use it all week for breakfast at the office. I pack up my breakfast and lunch the night before so I just have to transfer it to my lunch bag in the morning.

I'm on the same schedule as you--up at 5-5:15 and out the door at 7am. I would definitely take a shower the night before so you don't have to waste time doing that in the morning. Set out your clothes for yourself & the child(ren) also. You could prep some veggies to throw together with some meat & eggs. Or just make the whole thing the night before & then microwave it in the morning.

I will make a batch of hard boiled eggs and then grab them two at a time to eat. Don't crack them until you want to eat them though. And if you can stomach cold bacon do the same with that. Trader Joe's also sells 1oz packets of nuts that are only about 50cents more expensive per package than the non-bagged kind to spice it up a bit. Some berries in a container with coconut milk. (I keep my berries in a produce keeper so I can buy them in higher bulk and they keep longer)

If you're thinking really fast, and didn't have time to prep the night before, I like cracking eggs into a microwave-safe container (in the morning), dumping some mushrooms, and spinach, close the lid, shake it up and microwave at work (this is assuming you live close to work, and the eggs won't be sitting out for long periods of time). Usually eggs take about 2-3 minutes in the nuke. They puff up a lot, so be sure to keep the lid off when microwaving. Also, be sure to coat your interior of the container with some coconut oil, as the eggs will stick. If you do have leftovers from the night before, you can also add this into your egg mixture before you leave. It sounds crazy, but it works!

I make a huge batch of veggie hash on the weekend, I cook half on Sunday and eat it with eggs. The other half I cook other later in the week. I throw it on a plate and warm it up in the microwave. It's great with shredded chicken too.

You can also make a frittata and warm slices up instead of the egg muffins.

If you want to go the non-traditional breakfast route, I've been known to eat chicken salad for breakfast. ;)

I make an eggbake the night before. 6 whisked eggs, leftover meat, some chopped veggies, and spices into a greased pie plate and refrigerate. In the morning, I put in the cold oven, turn to 350 and bake for 45 minutes (I keep it covered with aluminum foil for the first 30 minutes but not sure it's necessary). This makes 4 servings and keeps well to be re-heated. I like eating mine with avocado.

Fritattas are also good and essentially just the egg bake. They'll keep in the fridge for a few days no problem. That plus some leftover meat or veggies makes a good breakfast. Typically I'll eat a small serving of nuts along with a coffee on the drive to work and then heat up my full breakfast once I get in.

I also made up a ground pork hash with root veggies and herbs that's quite good and can be had with leftovers from the night before, or a couple eggs if you've got the time to fry em up.

More basically, I think my strategy is to always have a couple cooked meat + veggies options hanging around in the fridge. Usually these are things that I ate for dinner and made extras, though sometimes they were made with breakfast in mind. For example, right now I have the pork hash, some fried coconut crusted chicken, some garlic basil chicken, a salad, and some cooked sweet potatoes in my fridge. I can mix and match as needed when I get up for breakfast and lunch at work, and then replenish with extra food from dinner or something specially made. It's a bit of effort keeping the cooked food stockpile high enough, but it can work. Worst case is that lunch is a salad with tuna and breakfast is nuts, fruit, and maybe a hard boiled egg, but generally speaking I haven't had that much trouble yet.

I'm a teacher too and am already planning what I will need to cook once school starts-I've have a little practice this week while I'm doing curriculum work at school. I'm eating leftover dinners, have made frittattas at least once a week and they usually last 2-4 days (depending on what I put in them-my husband won't eat them if I put sundried tomatoes in them! :) )

I'm finding that having veggies prepped and ready to go has been super helpful too. I think there are a ton of good ideas here and as long as you are ok with eating "dinner" for breakfast, it should be pretty easy to have something healthy and quick every morning. I was psyched to find that eating breakfast at 7:00 the last two days has not resulted in being starved by 11:00-I was a little worried about that as I won't be able to have lunch till 11:30 once school starts-and I'll be eating breakfast even earlier then! Seems like I am good to go for about 5-6 hours with a good breakfast in me!

Good luck!

Thanks so much for all the ideas ya'll! I'm on day 3, feeling pretty good so far. Definitely going to try some of the egg bake ideas. I know I just need to expand my thinking into more meal 1, 2, and 3 and not breakfast, lunch, dinner. I have always been a carb for breakfast type of person so this is definitely a new experience for me!

if you're used to sweet (re: carbs) in the morning, i find that a little dish of berries, plain or in coconut milk (whole30 approved - no added sugar, etc), is an easy, quick, really tasty addition to whatever else i might be having. don't wanna go overboard on fruit, obviously, but i find this is a great side to something like a scramble or leftovers, and hits my sweet craving with something nutritious.

good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

I make a little salad bowl for myself for breakfast since I eat when I get to work and it's busy there so I can't always eat in one sitting. This morning it was an egg, a salmon burger, spinach, snap peas, carrots, avocado, macadamia nuts, and blueberries. I can throw it together the night before and just grab it and go. If I get hungry on the way to work I can always dig in.

I like fritattas. Fill an omelette pan with eggs (I use 8 for my pan) veggies and/or meat plus seasoning. Cook on stove a few minutes and then finish off in oven to puff it up. Slice and store for a great portable meal or snack. So many possibilities. I like them cold too. Just like pizza... :)

Kngonzales is right about microwaving eggs. I do mine with chopped spinach, pepper and garlic and just stir every 30 seconds. Great but cleaning the dish in the DW won't work. I always have to scrub mime by hand.

• 1 year later...

Thank you for this forum!  I am a teacher going back to school in a few days and am worried about the rushed schedule.  Typically I would have a bowl of cereal or just grab some toast or a waffle for breakfast on the go.  Looking to try the frittatas and egg muffins.  Thanks!

I love making frittata or egg muffins for on the run breakfast - I incorporate a lot of vegies but ill normally make a salad the night before to have them with to get more vegies in.

Remember to add enough eggs for the serves you need though - 3-4 eggs per serve is recommended, unless you're adding extra protein.

I make eggs/omlets in muffin tins and an good to go for the whole week.  I use the large muffin tins (6 vs. 12) and put 2 eggs in each compartment (?) :)  I add different things to each.  This morning I made some with salsa, some had ground turkey sausage, and some had spinach and tomatoes.  Add seasonings, bake at 350 for approx 35 mins and that's it.  Very easy.  I usually have that with and apple or banana.

Archived