breakfast foods?

For all that reported "egg intolerance", what were the symptoms that made you realize that they weren't for you? I'm realizing that food intolerances can be much more subtle than, "I broke out in hives"...and am curious about what to look for.

Thanks!

I would also like to know. Thanks!

Re: egg intolerance...For me, it was watery/itchy/gritty eyes, very stuffy nose, lots of sneezing, and shortness of breath. I didn't notice an egg allergy at all until I went paleo and started eating eggs for breakfast almost every day. After a few weeks of that, knowing that I'd already eliminated most other possibilities I decided to go without eggs and feel so much better. Too bad I really love eggs!

I definitely wasn't interested in eating eggs every morning for breakfast. I would recommend having the meal from the previous night for breakfast! Or you can make some roasted veggies the night before and in the morning make some bacon (Yum!!) or shredded chicken or flank steak and a side of fresh fruit! I have found this to be filling in the morning. I make sure my veggies are still a bit hard because the fiber helps to fill me up.

Be sure to check out nomnompaleo.com for some great recipes!

Preparing meats in advance or having pre-chopped vegetables helps when you are in a bind for time and ideas!

C&p'd from facebook

Jason Seib

Sunday

Why are there such things as breakfast foods? And why are they mostly garbage? I seriously can't figure this one out. When we introduce someone new to paleo nutrition, one of the most common questions we get is an emphatic plea of "But what will I eat for breakfast??" Seriously? What do you eat the rest of the day? You could start there. This usually gets me a look of disdain. In reality, most of us don't eat breakfast foods (like pancakes, waffles, and hash browns) for lunch or dinner because we know they aren't good for us and make us feel like hot crap, yet we are totally willing to start our day with them. If given a choice, my kids will ask for tuna or leftover steak for breakfast as often as they ask for eggs, but only because we don't associate food with a specific position of the sun in the sky. If real food doesn't sound good at breakfast, weigh your options - don't eat until you are actually hungry, eat real food anyway, or eat garbage and adjust your goals accordingly. And please remember that paleo versions of garbage are still garbage and should be eaten as often as you are willing to eat non-paleo treats

Re: egg intolerance...For me, it was watery/itchy/gritty eyes, very stuffy nose, lots of sneezing, and shortness of breath. I didn't notice an egg allergy at all until I went paleo and started eating eggs for breakfast almost every day. After a few weeks of that, knowing that I'd already eliminated most other possibilities I decided to go without eggs and feel so much better. Too bad I really love eggs!

Thanks for sharing. Good to know!

I never would have thought that I'd have rutabagas for breakfast....but I did. I had leftovers of a blend of roasted rutabagas, red cabbage, and onions and then added some chorizo and topped it with a poached egg. A turkey egg!

Goofiest breakfast I've ever eaten, but only when considering that it didn't follow the traditional American, midwestern philosophy of what consititutes acceptable breakfast.

It was really filling and paired well with my black coffee. I've got enough for tomorrow and can't wait.

Add me to the dinner for breakfast camp. I keep trying to convince my kids that it's cool to eat other foods in the morning, but so far they aren't buying it. I think my favorite so far was my breakfast this morning. Leftover pulled pork (the best recipe I've ever tried) chopped up and sauteed with leftover butternut squash that I roasted with cinnamon, a hearty helping of onions from the pork, a handful of spinach and two eggs.

• 3 weeks later...

As moderator said, just change your thinking around 'breakfast'. It is a meal, just happens to be the first meal of the day! I deliberately cook large portions so i can have a meal or two of the same, the following day. Typically, I have dinner from the night before, it helps with managing my time in the morning. Meals include: casserole of beef & vegies, stirfry of chicken & vegies.

I love this recipe and make batches of it so I have it during the week.

http://beta.primal-palate.com/recipe/breakfast-sausages/

My problem is that I often don't allot enough time in the morning to eat breakfast at home before I dash to work, so I throw a few of these in a ziploc and heat it up at work.

On the weekends I chop some up with some baby spinach and mushrooms and make a scramble. I've also made it without the eggs (because I opened my fridge to discover I ran out of eggs) and just had it stir fry style and it was a fantastic breakfast.

For all that reported "egg intolerance", what were the symptoms that made you realize that they weren't for you? I'm realizing that food intolerances can be much more subtle than, "I broke out in hives"...and am curious about what to look for.

Thanks!

For me, eggs give me instant brain fog. Before I'm even done eating one, I can feel it, even if I cook it at home without butter (which affects me as well). I was recently told by my practitioner to try an egg-protein supplement to give me some more protein. Against my better judgement, I did, and within an hour or so of taking it, I not only had brain fog but was sobbing uncontrollably. For 5 hours. With absolutely nothing to provoke it other than egg. I wasn't always like this, though. It's just been in the past few years so I'm hopeful I can re-introduce eggs at some point. I miss them, sunny side up, with a side of sausage!

I'm loving the non-egg breakfast tips - keep 'em coming!

So happy to see this as I as just wondering what other foods I can make for breakfast myself. It is hard to shake that "breakfast" mentality. Plus, I LOVE a huge bowl of fruit in the am, so that's been an adjustment.

I have to say I'm with everyone on the frittatas! I had never made one until yesterday and I didn't realize how easy it is. I made a totally local, in season one with summer squash, zucchini and sausage.

I'd also have to say as weird as it is, firecracker tuna salad (from the clothes make the girl, Melissa wrote Well Fed) is amazing for breakfast.

I'll also pull a rot. chicken and add that to my plate.

I've made barbacoa from Paleomg and had that for breakfast, it was AMAZING! I topped mine with avocado and poached egg, but of course you can leave the egg off. Think of it more as brunch!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not a big breakfast eater. I just read ISWF and learned that's not a good thing. (Loved the book, Melissa!) I usually just eat a few sausage links or a Jay Robb egg shake with strawberries. I'm going to start eating more in the morning. I really like mixing eggs with meat & some scallions and baking them in muffin cups. I can make a lot and heat them up in the morning. I like salsa on top.

ROCK THE CASBAH! I wanted Well Fed, but it's back ordered on Amazon. I don't have a kindle, but the link above even has a link for a .pdf version of the bookl (which is $15 cheaper than the hard copy)! I LOVE instant gratification!

This morning's Meal 1: ready to go (as in grilled ahead of time and in the fridge!) chicken thighs x 2 and broccoli salad. Yum. As someone who did eat "traditional" breakfast foods, I also had no problem eating something like left over pizza, so this hasn't been too hard of an adjustment-other than less fruit and no grains.

Just remember protein and veggies-if you really like fruit, have a small portion.

Archived