what are coconut aminos?

Kellyf882

" I am planning on buying a bottle tomorrow to bring to my local sushi place for lunch when I order sashimi. Does it really taste like soy sauce? I'm skeptical! "

It is similar to soy, but not exactly. At this point, I prefer it over soy. Soy tastes too strong and salty for me now. Empty spice jars are a good way to transport it if you dont want to take the whole jar.

I'm on day 28 of my first Whole30, and I looked EVERYWHERE for coconut aminos, could never find them. Couldn't find fish sauce with no added sugar either. Of course, I live in Peru, so things are a little different around here. 

Tons and tons of different kinds of fish sauce at the supermarket (noodles aisle), and not ONE was free of added sugar. All kinds of soy sauce, miso, etc., and... nothing W30 compliant. So yeah I've just been omitting it, have no other choice (Coconut Secret won't do international deliveries for that one).

If anyone finds out where I can get coconut aminos thru international delivery, please let me know! 

Thx  :)

(PS: Next time I'm in the states, I sure know what I'll be filling my bag with! :P  )

If you're feeling adventurous you can make your own fish sauce -

1 1/2lbs small fish, incl. heads, cut up

3 tbsp sea salt

2 cups filtered water

2 cloves garlic, mashed

2 bay leaves, crumbled

1 tsp peppercorns

several pieces lemon rind

1 tbsp tamarind paste (optional)

2 tbsp whey

Toss the fish pieces in salt & place in a wide mouth, quart sized mason jar. Press down with a wooden pounder or meat hammer. Mix remaining ingredients & pour over the fish. Add additional water to cover the fish thoroughly. Leave an inch of space below the top of the jar. Cover tightly & leave at room temp for ~3 days. Transfer to a refrigerator for several weeks. Drain liquid through a strainer & store fish sauce in the refrigerator.

From "Nourishing Traditions" :)

" I was still planning to replace whey with lime juice or vinegar & coconut milk (just because I don't have any whey lying around in my kitchen :D). "

Lol..that's true. I don't think I know one person who has whey sitting around in their kitchen. :)

I was still planning to replace whey with lime juice or vinegar & coconut milk (just because I don't have any whey lying around in my kitchen  :D).

Hmm, the whey is used as a starter to encourage the right sort of bacteria along, i'm not sure lemon juice or coconut milk would work. If you've made any of your own fermented pickles or sauerkraut you could use some of the juice from that (And if you haven't, what are you waiting for??  :lol: ). Another method is to just salt the fish & weigh them down in a big crock & leave them for six months, but that ain't happenin' in this house!!  

Yeah I kind of think that the smell around the house could get thriller -my roommate would have something to hold against me (and that has NEVER happened!). My drama-head is now filled with images of cops ringing our bell asking if someone died inside.

LOL, I think I might have to learn to live without it (and get a whole lot when I go visit the states!).

Thanks anyways  ;)

Archived