"No longer needing" medications?

I've seen this said a lot about Whole 30 and paleo in general--people with various medical conditions who find they don't need their medications after changing their diets. It's not that I'm skeptical, it's more that I don't understand how you'd know that you could stop taking a medication that was controlling a serious condition. Does one just give it a try and if everything looks OK, just not go back on?

My story is that I am bipolar. I am very well stabilized with two medications, and I don't have stopping them as a goal. But I've heard of people doing so, and I can't picture it. For me, "feeling great" off my meds is not a good measure of my mental health. The one time I experimented with this, I felt so "great" that I did not take them for a long time. Of course the predictable happened: I became manic, did a lot of things that hurt myself and the people in my life, and then crashed into horrific depression. Of course, this was long before Whole 30/paleo. I definitely feel generally better and healthier, my energy is better--not frighteningly so--but I could not imagine experimenting with my meds. And I can only imagine the conversations with my doctors or my family about it--let's just say there would not be a lot of support.

As I said, this is not a goal for me with this program; I really am just curious about this aspect of Whole 30. If you did discontinue a medication--for any condition--how did you decide you were comfortable trying it? Thanks.

I think it greatly depends on what the medication is for and what your specific condition is.  Something like you're describing sounds like it would be quite a bit riskier to just stop taking and "see what happens" and probably wouldn't be advisable outside of a doctor's care.  However, for me, I was taking an Rx for anxiety (and the resulting insomnia that never responded to any other Rx). I also took OTC sleeping pills (in scary dosages) in conjunction and still couldn't sleep most of the time.  I didn't plan to stop taking the Rx, I just realized one morning that I had forgotten to take anything (seriously...no idea how that happened) and yet I had slept like a baby.  This led me to try it again that night and well...that was about 4 or 5 months ago and I've slept perfectly fine since with no meds whatsoever except an occasional melatonin. And I've had no unmanageable anxiety otherwise. 

So the only real risk in my not taking my Rx was that I might lose a night's sleep, but I was never in danger of causing harm to myself or worsening a serious condition.  I think there are probably many people whose conditions are such that they can experiment a little without putting themselves in any danger. 

Hi Lisawhip - Welcome to W30 and the forums.   I don't have any experience with bipolar disorder and would never recommend you make any changes without first consulting your doctor.  That being said, I think it's different for everyone.  I had issues with IBS-C, Acid Reflux, lots of pain, hypothyroidism as a result of thyroid cancer, severe allergy and sinus issues, and chronic lingering depression, etc.

I didn't just suddenly decide to stop taking any medications.  As I noticed improvement in symptoms, I began to experiment.  When I noticed I didn't have acid churning in my stomach every day, I was able to finally take my AR meds 'as needed.'  After about two months, I didn't need it any more.  The same with my Advil addiction.  I was taking 4 at a time, 3 or 4 times a day for pain.  As my pain decreased, I just didn't need as many meds.   When the fall allergy season ended, I noticed improvement in my symptoms, and never went back to using all my meds.  I was able to reduce my allergy meds from 4 meds to 1 (2 at the height of the season).  My thyroid levels are the most stable they have ever been, and the amount I need is less than what I needed a year ago.  In fact, my endocrinologist  was most impressed at my last visit two weeks ago.  She could not believe the list of meds that I no longer needed and was very happy to see me looking and feeling so well.  Also,  I no longer need to worry about adding blood pressure or cholesterol meds to my repertoire,  and type 2 diabetes is no longer an imminent threat. 

I am very upfront with my docs.  I have been working with them for a while, and I know there are situations where I can use my own discretion, and times where I need to discuss any changes.   Some of my docs are not impressed with my paleo diet, and some are amazed.  Regardless, I am very honest with them, and they all agree I should not take medication that I don't need.   I think it's important to be your own advocate and work with a doctor that you trust to find the treatment that is right for you.   

W30 may not cause you to reduce any BP meds, but it may result in you feeling much better through a healthier way of eating.  You may also discover some foods that trigger you in some way, and you will know to avoid them.  The overall sense of wellness and an improved relationship with food are just two good reasons to give it a try.  Good luck. 

For me it was adult onset and/or pregnancy induce asthma. I was on two inhalers, one twice daily and a second for emergency use or prior to exercise. They are expensive and it was great motivation for me to not need them anymore. Also, I based it on what ailments are associated with systemic inflammation specifically like asthma. So, I tried to see if I could go without towards the end of my first W30 and I could, all I needed was the one "rescue" prior to exercise. And then a little while went by and I tried exercising without that one and I could tell my symptoms were better.

I've dealt with anxiety/bi-polar and there's no way I would come off those type meds without consulting my doctor. Now, I'm on day 9 and the last three days I've nearly blacked out from very low blood pressure (confirmed by checking with my cuff at home) so last night I cut my blood pressure pill in half and have been in normal range all day with only a couple of dizzy spells. I have my yearly check up at the end of Sept. and I'll be discussing changing my meds with her. I'd like to get to the point where I'm off the meds entirely even if I have to use something like magnesium. I think it just depends on your personal situation

Yes you need a doctor who is on your side and works with you. This is too serious to tackle alone. Be your own advocate and find a doctor who will work with you. Maybe less meds is the best solution for you. You can definitely improve your mental health with food, but you should never go it alone alone

NAMI is a great organization full of advocates.

No one in our culture/society gets as much care as they need, but mental health definitely takes a back seat. We need to really get behind ourselves, and if you are lucky you can find others who support you.

There is a Whole30 psychiatrist 

they list her on this page http://whole9life.com/resources/ -- the last one under health and nutrition websites. I know there are others all over the country, some likely better and worse. You have a serious illness and it needs your most serious care and advocacy. 

I'm on anti-anxiety meds. I had a meltdown a year and a half ago. While I don't like the idea of taking 'drugs', I know that these are helping me deal with stress, which is very damaging. I am also hypothyroid. I've been gluten free for over a year, but it hasn't changed my need for thyroid meds. I think my thyroid is beyond repair, so I'll always need it.

Sometimes taking meds is part of being healthy.

Some meds can be lowered, some removed - statins for cholesteral, some very specific diabetic medications maybe.  Some can't  be stopped ever - if you have no thyroid you can't stop taking Synthroid for example.

My experience with bi-polar family members is that the desire to go off meds arises periodically - usually with the reasoning that they are 'taking so little anyway'.  And every single time it happens it turns into either a manic or depressive episode.  I totally understand your families probable 'lack of support' of that idea.

I have a history of dysthymic depression.  I do not like my current medication and am weaning off of it with the support of my doctor- however it's likely  that I have to try a different one (anti-depressant) as opposed to be done with them forever.  I resisted drugs for years, but I finally tried them when my daughter was two and I can't deny that they ultimately made a difference.  It's not fair for her to have a depressed mommy if it's unnecessary.  doctors warned me that I may never be able to go off meds without a relapse.  I'm fine with that reality.  I do believe, though, I can support the work of the pills - and take smaller doses - if I eat properly, get sunlight, and sleep etc etc... In my case they get me out of bed and keep me from feeling completely hopeless... but there's more to feeling good than that!

Like you and others have said, my personal experience tells me that bi-polar disorder is too complex to try and modify medications based on lifestyle changes - even major changes.

I have ulcerative colitis and I have been on immunosuppressants for years. I feel so much better while on the whole9 and my blood tests and coloscopy results supports this. So, am I quitting my meds? No.

No, because I know this is a disease with inflammation that comes and goes in flares. I could be fine on the chocolate-diet (my previous diet :ph34r: ) without medication for a few weeks, maybe. I could be fine for months on this diet and then, sooner or later, get another flare. I have a family too. I cannot risk my life and their stability. I will stay on my immunosuppressants in the foreseeable future. Maybe after a few years I will try to reduce the levels of asathioprin and asacol and evaluate over a few months-years but I don't count on ever getting off the medication. Neither is it my immediate goal.

My goal is to be healthy, and with a great diet and my medication, I am! 

Archived