"Breading" advice and or tips

Mom2A&M

To day I was experimenting in the kitchen, I'm not a very good cook but getting better. Here's what I tired.

Puréed I can of beets in food processor, then beat in two eggs. I dredged chicken tenders in the beat mixture, and then dredged in almond flour. Placed on baking sheet and drizzled melted coconut oil on top. Baked 350 for 25mins or so. They turned out okay but not crispy at all.

So,how do I use almond flour as a "breading" and get a crispy coating? Is coconut four better? Should I dredged in almond flour before beet/egg mixture? Pan fry the tenders before baking? Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

My kids called these Christmas chicken today, and they actually ate some without a fight! Just wanting them to be less pasty I guess.

A higher temp is a good idea - my mom's chicken nuggets and oven-fried chicken were always baked at 400 or 425. And/or maybe skip the coconut oil? Whenever I've used fat in a breading (pre-W30), it's been as the "glue". I would think drizzling fat over the top would make things soggier.

I use dried/desiccated coconut (unsweetened) as my breaking, especially on chicken. When I make my chicken Parma , I'll coat the chicken in either coconut or almond flour (just depends on what I have handy), the coat in a beaten egg. Then crumb in the coconut. Bake in a 400F oven until chicken is cooked through. I also find that putting the chicken on a wire rack that's in a cookie sheet also helps crisping the crumb. Also don't add the coconut oil as the coconut absorbs it, and it'll end up greasy rather than crispy

I was thinking the breading has to have fat for a "frying effect" but I see how this didn't work. My inspiration was Melissa joulwan fried almond flour breadcrumbs that were so tasty I thought, " I want that on chicken strips" and the beet purée was from a kids cookbook about sneaking veggies into your kids food.

Erge, how do you think it would work to flour, egg and flour again ( since I already have two flours at home) in stead of dried coconut? I will try the rack next time too so the bottoms are crisper.

Also, does anyone think pan frying first would do any good?

I use frozen chicken when I want to crumb it and bake it - it takes longer in the oven to cook the chicken so the crumbs get crispier.

I use coconut crumbs - desiccated coconut whizzed in the food processor with herbs and spices. I flour in coconut flour, dip in egg, then stick in the crumbs.

I don't think the pan frying would really help you, and if you're going to put it on a rack in the oven, that sounds better for the crispiness than the pan anyway (great idea, Erge - stealing that one!). So I'd save yourself a step and not worry about it!

Archived