Stay away from the 'Cotton Candy' grapes!

1Maryann

I was in the produce department at Publix today, and they were giving out samples of two new products.  One was a long, skinny, purple grape called "Witches Fingers", the other was a rather ordinary-looking green grape called "Cotton Candy".

The Witches Finger tasted like a normal, but overly sweet purple grape.  The Cotton Candy however...Oh.  My.  God!!!  I don't know how they did it, what kind of genetic engineering was required, but it tasted exactly like cotton candy!  And me, who has very little sweet tooth, who would rather have more dinner than save room for dessert, almost lost control.  I instantly wanted to grab a bag off the shelf and dive in with both fists.  I can't even explain it.  I NEVER have sugar cravings like that.  I mostly don't like anything that's too sweet.

I picked up a bag, put it in my cart and continued shopping.  But that bag was CALLING to me.  I wanted to munch grapes, lots of grapes, while I shopped but they don't weigh them until the checkout, so that would be like stealing.   I finally got hold of myself long enough to realize that if I couldn't control myself until I made it out of the store, that this would be a food with no brakes once I got outside (fantasizing about stuffing my face in the parking lot).  And I went and put it back like it was poison.  But it wasn't easy.

So just a word of warning:  Be careful of the Cotton Candy grapes.

"Susan, they are from someplace called The Grapery in CA. They even SMELL like cotton candy."

You should have seen me at my favorite produce store last night. I was walking past the grapes trying not to look, but looking out of the corner of my eye..and I may or may not have been trying to smell them by deep breathing because I got a little light headed. :D

" Cotton candy grapes? Grapples? What on earth....can't say they've appeared down here!

(Is it bad that I want to try them just because I've never heard of them...like larabars. Never had one of them either - I could order them from iherb but decided it was better not to!) "

If it makes you feel any better, I tried two of their compliant flavors and did not like them. However, I am not a fan of bars or nuts and dried fruits in one bite. :0)

• 4 weeks later...

Those with the instincts to avoid, you are right on the money! :blink: 

"Cotton Candy Grapes do contain 12% more natural sugar" according to an article on Delish.com

They've been doing weird things like this to pineapples in Australia... breeding them to be more sugary. Completely ruins the pineapple taste :P

I now avoid any fruit marketed with "extra sweet" or "sweet" on the label.

• 2 weeks later...

I used to work in a Publix and i LOVE cotton candy grapes!

When I first read the title of this topic I was terrified to open it, as I was afraid you were going to tell us why we couldn't have them per W30.

However, I understand why you had to put them back, they are simply AMAZING! I've stopped buying them because I can't just have a few.

Archived