What's your fav dish to bring to parties?

MissDivergent

My husband and I are on Day 14. In two days we have been invited to a get-together/party and are expected to bring a dish. I want to bring something that will be a crowd pleaser but also something so that I know I have something to eat that is compliant. There may be around 40 people there, so it also needs to be something that should be fairly cheap/easy.

We thought about just skipping it, but we really want to go and I think this will be a good social experiment for us to see how we can do.

What are your favorite things to bring to share at parties?

Also, not really meal planning, but feel free to share any tips for being successfully compliant at a party.

I think we might actually eat dinner first so we aren't even hungry...

If you have the cookbook Well Fed - The eggplant strata is excellent and a crowd pleaser (brought it for a new year's day family gathering), you can make compliant chicken wings - seach the web, there are a lot of good recipes out there.   

I've made Spinach and Articoke dip - base was coconut cream, and bring a veggie platter along with it.

Good Luck!

Roasted veggies. Get the cheapest ones you can, and roast 'em in olive oil. Mine have included any/all of the following (that I've brought to BBQs and sick friends with rave reviews):

Carrots (pretty cheap)

Sweet potatoes (definitely cheap around here)

Parsnips (not cheap here yet)

Rutabagas (really cheap)

Turnips

Mushrooms

Broccoli

Celeriac

...etc. Spice it well, and you'll be good!

I just wrote a blog post about this yesterday! (inspired by tailgating)

These were the Whole30 Approved ones (the rest were SWYPO or contained honey)

Bacon and plantain chips, cinnamon nuts, and roasted chestnuts

baconplantain-300x168.jpg

Crispy Smoked Ham and Proscuitto Chips

Classic Deviled Eggs

Italian Sausage Meatballs (leave out the cheese and sub coconut milk for cream)

Bacon Wrapped Dates

EE1114_Bacon-Wrapped-Dates_lg-300x225.jp

Sweet Potato Skins (YUM- even without the optional chevre)

sweet-potato-300x192.jpg

Legume-Free Hummus

Vinegar Cole Slaw

slaw-300x228.jpg

Watermelon Freeze

Cherry-Watermelon-Freeze-251x300.jpg

Endive Salmon Poppers

I just made something based on an idea out of the Gather cookbook.  

Place the following on a toothpick:  Olive, marinated artichoke, roasted red pepper, and a small pearl onion.  (I think the onion was brined).  Pretty good.

Also, get tomatoes big enough to cut in half and scoop out.  Fill them with guacamole and bacon.

i usually take my own meal to parties. i don't like not knowing what else will be on offer, and in all seriousness, i couldn't take enough of one dish to feed me, my husband, and other people. i'll contribute by providing something (usually a dessert) to add to the general table but don't rely on it to feed me!

easy things to make:

meatballs, meat skewers (kebabs?), dips and vegie sticks, frittata, "sushi" with cauliflower rice, fruit platters with cashew cream, homemade larabar type bars or balls.

I made prosciutto wrapped dates with a pecan in the middle, they don't bake as long as the bacon wrapped. Everyone loved them.

I typically bring deviled eggs. If I'm not doing whole30, I bring the massaged kale salad by aarti party. It has honey in it. It can probably be adapted to be whole30. Just search for massaged kale salad on foodnetwork. I've had so many compliments on it from people who were sure they hated kale.

I just made bacon wrapped salmon stuffed sweet peppers, It is cheap enough because the baby peppers (i would actually substitute for jalapenos next time i make them) get cut in half length wise so each one make two and the bacon get cut length wise and width wise so each piece makes 4. marinate salmon in garlic and lemon, stuff, wrap, toothpick and bake for maybe 20ish minutes. YUMMM!!!

I have taken the baby sweet pepper stuffed with w30 compliant tuna salad or you could stuff them with chicken salad, taco meat.....they are colorful, quick and easy.  I like the idea of adding the crumbled bacon - but I have a hard time finding compliant bacon. Tasty too and in my past life - I was not good sweet pepper eater....LOL  If you like avocado - a salad with chopped avocado, tomatoes, onions, garlic, cilantro, doused with some evoo and acv or lemon juice (add feta if not on w30) place wax paper or plastic wrap on top - will keep refrig about 4 hours - use with celery, carrot sticks, pepper, or eat it with a spoon!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My roommate loves to entertain and always makes tons of really terrible food for her parties. I started making bacon wrapped dates, guacamole (I like dipping carrots and cucumbers into it), and veggie tray with paleo mayo ranch or southwestern dressing. They are all EASY appetizers and everyone loves them (and no one knows they are whole30 or paleo). 

Now, if only we could fit bourbon onto the meal template....

My roommate loves to entertain and always makes tons of really terrible food for her parties. I started making bacon wrapped dates, guacamole (I like dipping carrots and cucumbers into it), and veggie tray with paleo mayo ranch or southwestern dressing. They are all EASY appetizers and everyone loves them (and no one knows they are whole30 or paleo). 

Now, if only we could fit bourbon onto the meal template....

How do you make the southwestern dressing? Sounds good! And I second the bourbon idea ;)

How do you make the southwestern dressing? Sounds good! And I second the bourbon idea ;)

Its from Melissa Joulwan: http://www.theclothesmakethegirl.com/2011/02/24/southwestern-cumin-lime-dressing/

Perfect for dipping almond crusted chicken tenders, veggies, and as a salad dressing. 

That said, I love to blend anything with mayonnaise - Frank's red hot sauce (for buffalo dip), chipotle peppers, pesto, mustard, sun dried tomatoes - the possibilities are endless with good mayo. 

Archived