Whole 30 approved cookbooks?

HealthyinOK

I actually recently bought the joy of cooking. There are obviously a ton of non compliant foods but it does teach a number of basic cooking methods for meats and has some easy sauces too. There's a recipe for cooking lamb on the stove and making a sauce by sauteeing leeks and deglazing the pan with broth and orange juice. If you want a basic how to guide with less focus on recipes it's good to have on hand. Well Fed is hands down my favorite whole30/paleo cookbook so far. I make the pad thai, mayo (but with avocado oil), and char siu all the time.

Well Fed is amazing! The instructions are very simple and fun to read. I also like the Primal Blueprint Quick & Easy Cookbook--just make sure to check the ingredients for each recipe to make sure it is W30-compliant or can be tweaked accordingly. One of my all-time favorite cookbooks is Amanda Hesser's The Essential New York Times Cooking which, similar to Joy of Cooking which Johnny mentioned, has a lot of non-compliant recipes but offers wonderful stories, instructions on how to cook different cuts and types of meat, and so on.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just started, but I love Well Fed! Not only are the recipes great, but her idea of "hot plates" really made sense to me. It makes it so much easier to have good food ready and available to make meals throughout the week.

Thanks for all the endorsements for Well Fed, friends! I really appreciate it.

The one recipe in the book that's not Whole30 approved is the Peach Crisp. Although all of the ingredients are Whole30-safe, the spirit of the dessert is not in line with the guidelines of not eating foods that mimic non-Whole30 foods during the 30 days. It's a great dessert for AFTER a Whole30, but not during.

Just to clarify, none of the recipes in Well Fed contain honey or any other added sweeteners. If something needs a touch of sweetness, that was accomplished with tomato paste or, in the case of the Peach Crisp, dried dates

If you don't have it already, you can download a 30-page sample of Well Fed that includes recipes and some of the Hot Plate info that bets55429 mentioned. Help yourself right here: http://www.theclothesmakethegirl.com/well-fed-ebook-sampler/

Happy cooking and eating!

bets55429

Thanks for all the endorsements for Well Fed, friends! I really appreciate it.

The one recipe in the book that's not Whole30 approved is the Peach Crisp. Although all of the ingredients are Whole30-safe, the spirit of the dessert is not in line with the guidelines of not eating foods that mimic non-Whole30 foods during the 30 days. It's a great dessert for AFTER a Whole30, but not during.

Just to clarify, none of the recipes in Well Fed contain honey or any other added sweeteners. If something needs a touch of sweetness, that was accomplished with tomato paste or, in the case of the Peach Crisp, dried dates

If you don't have it already, you can download a 30-page sample of Well Fed that includes recipes and some of the Hot Plate info that bets55429 mentioned. Help yourself right here: http://www.theclothe...-ebook-sampler/

Happy cooking and eating!

bets55429

Great Cookbook Melissa! My wife and I are on a mission to get healthy after years of self-abuse. Your cookbook is a godsend! We are going to try the blueberry desert tonight!

Thank you!

I like Well-Fed a lot. I've used several recipes that came out great.

I love NomNom Paleo's recipes. (online.)

I also like Paleo Comfort Foods and The Food Lovers Make It Paleo cookbooks.

I'm about to bring all three cookbooks to Office Depot to have them spiral-bound to make them more user-friendly.

• 2 months later...

Another recommendation for Well Fed. I can't wait for Well Fed 2!

I also love Nom Nom Paleo's iPad add which has a Whole 30 section with over 100 recipes (if you buy all the packs - which is stil cheaper than most paleo cookbooks) and photos for each step in each recipe, which is really handy if you're only just learning to love the kitchen.

As others have mentioned, lots of great recipes on both their websites too.

Archived